U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2016, 10:09 AM

7,063 posts, read 14,162,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexxxcblac View Post
".....California lifestyle "
I guess paying a million dollars for a fix me upper is the lifestyle we can't afford huh...I guess we Zonies ARE lifestyle deficient.
I wouldn't trade this Arizona lifestyle for a million New Mexicos or Californias. My soul gets rest here. My mentals gets rest here. Peace of mind EVERYDAY is most important for me. Sunshine, warmth, mountains, peace ,relaxation. Things no amount of money can buy.
You didn't understand what I said then. People like SoCal for the sunshine, warmth, mountains, beaches, suburban lifestyle yet having all the city amenities around you, etc. However, they don't like the expensive housing market and can't afford it. That's a big reason why people from SoCal move to Phoenix and LV. And why people from other parts of the country who like that lifestyle end up NOT moving to SoCal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2016, 05:16 PM

216 posts, read 129,183 times
Years ago my mom got her PhD from UNM. She often commented to me how abysmally low salaries were in Albuquerque. I suspect it's even worse in smaller cities and towns in NM. She eventually moved to South Florida for a much better paying job. Considering how notorious Florida is for it's relatively low wages, that's saying something.

As the saying goes, you get what you pay for, and the fact of the matter is you're simply not going to attract talented workers with starvation wages. You're also going to have a brain drain, with most of the state's best and brightest moving out of state for greener pastures. An underskilled labor pool will deter many companies from setting up shop there.

That's how I see it, anyway.

Old 04-14-2016, 07:40 PM

1,581 posts, read 762,612 times
New Mexico has seen significant out-migration to each of the neighboring states that are immediately across most of its borders. From 2013-2014 IRS data (the latest available), migration of individuals covered by tax returns was:

16,129 NM -> TX vs 12,896 TX -> NM -->> net loss of 3,233
8,923 NM -> AZ vs 6,974 AZ -> NM -->> net loss of 1,949
5,991 NM -> CO vs 4,077 CO -> NM -->> net loss of 1,914

That's a total net outflow of 7,096. Unlike most other western states, the net inflow from California was very small, and hardly canceled out the losses to New Mexico's three principal neighbors:

4,807 NM -> CA vs 5,085 CA -> NM -->> net gain of 278

This is just for one year, but is consistent with census estimates the last couple years showing a very small decline in the state's population, as the surplus of births over deaths isn't quite balancing out the migration loss. People are likely moving to other states, particularly New Mexico's three major neighbors, for better job opportunities. And in the case of Texas, the cost of living may even be lower than in New Mexico - so the incentive to relocate is clear, even if much of the Lone Star state has far more oppressive summers and a less inspiring natural setting than the Land of Enchantment.

I'm not sure what the solution is to reverse New Mexico's stagnation, but it probably will take a combination of policy changes, better marketing of their assets, and good luck - as well as increased crowding in other parts of the West.

Old 04-14-2016, 09:53 PM

448 posts, read 394,494 times
I'm one that made the move from New Mexico to Texas like many other people I know. I pay less in auto insurance, rent, utilities, gas for the vehicle, and I have more things to do around me. I would say it's been an improvement in lifestyle for me at least.

Old 04-15-2016, 12:19 AM

2,718 posts, read 2,387,293 times
New Mexico might be better off if it's split 3 ways. Merge western NM, east of Albuquerque with AZ, merge northern NM from Santa Fe north with CO, east NM merge with TX. New Mexico cannot sustain itself if it doesn't attract a vibrant economy.

Old 04-15-2016, 12:54 PM

100 posts, read 207,176 times
Quote:
I'm one that made the move from New Mexico to Texas like many other people I know.
I did the opposite and am so pleased that I did. I grew up in Dallas, lived and went to school in Austin 1995-2013, then moved to Los Alamos. I was tired of melting every summer and was happy to move away from the building crowds in Austin. I love Los Alamos but readily admit it is very different than the rest of NM.

People that have or plan to reproduce are not going to relocate to an area that seems to place so little emphasis on education. I decided against a job with Sandia in ABQ for that reason. Los Alamos will never grow large due to its geography but the rest of NM will not grow either unless its perceived quality of education improves.

Old 04-15-2016, 04:20 PM

17 posts, read 10,573 times
Probably because of Breaking Bad.

Old 04-15-2016, 04:52 PM

3,093 posts, read 4,149,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by professor gimp View Post
I did the opposite and am so pleased that I did. I grew up in Dallas, lived and went to school in Austin 1995-2013, then moved to Los Alamos. I was tired of melting every summer and was happy to move away from the building crowds in Austin. I love Los Alamos but readily admit it is very different than the rest of NM.

People that have or plan to reproduce are not going to relocate to an area that seems to place so little emphasis on education. I decided against a job with Sandia in ABQ for that reason. Los Alamos will never grow large due to its geography but the rest of NM will not grow either unless its perceived quality of education improves.
Funny you say that. I'm seeing more and more NM plates here every day. I even have a couple of good friends transplanted from there. So far they seem to enjoy it here.

Old 04-15-2016, 07:45 PM

15,593 posts, read 17,845,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
New Mexico might be better off if it's split 3 ways. Merge western NM, east of Albuquerque with AZ, merge northern NM from Santa Fe north with CO, east NM merge with TX. New Mexico cannot sustain itself if it doesn't attract a vibrant economy.
Why would you want to drag down three states with the boat anchor that is New Mexico? :-)

Old 04-15-2016, 07:50 PM

4,695 posts, read 2,340,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
LOL. We'd NEVER merge with Texass! Nor Azz! I'm sure CO would love to annex Santa Fe, but, sorry, you can't have it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.