U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2016, 10:05 PM

12,933 posts, read 4,666,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by homefurryhome View Post
We don't mind some snow, but would prefer to avoid having to shovel a foot of snow two or three times a week in the middle of winter.

I have a concern about moving to the western states (New Mexico and Arizona) because of the growing season for gardens and the ability to have outside animals like chickens and goats.

We've looked at places like Clarksville, TN, Asheville, NC and Charlotte, NC and plan on visiting in the fall, but figured we could try and tailor the trip based on the type of place we're trying to find.
Keep in mind, Clarksville can get scorching hot in the summer and become a pure sauna for weeks on end. You might consider Johnson City instead.

Last edited by PCALMike; 04-09-2016 at 10:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2016, 05:53 AM

6,561 posts, read 13,772,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homefurryhome View Post
I'm from Michigan, and the weather here is not conducive to my or my mom's sinus issues.

We're looking to move somewhere warmer (KY, TN, NC) where we can buy some land for our 4 dogs and where we can get some chickens or goats.

I don't mind being out in the country more, but would like a bigger city nearby where we could start our own craft business and I could work a good job until that is feasible.

Given that I haven't been to most of these places, what are the recommendations for a moderate climate with small business support and animal friendliness?
Suburbs of Louisville, KY

Places like La Grange, KY, Simpsonville, KY, Bardstown KY.

Closer to Michigan, and while a bit colder than TN, it is not that noticeable. Usually only one shovelable snows a season, maybe 2. And it usually melts fast. When Louisville is super cold, the super cold usually extends as far as north GA.

Old 04-11-2016, 11:53 AM

3 posts, read 1,522 times
In the research I've been doing, I've found a lot of houses in our price range in the areas between Nashville and Louisville. My next question after that would be, how is the job market in those areas? I realize it would be a 30 minute commute for me to get into a city, but it'd be worth it for a good job and country living.
My mom would do fine in a part time retail position, but I'd like to stay in a marketing or administration position that pays pretty well.

Old 04-11-2016, 01:05 PM

1,016 posts, read 645,546 times
Moving to Kentucky, Tennessee or North Carolina from Michigan to avoid winter weather conditions (i.e., cold, snow, ice) and the associated sinus issues would be equivalent to moving from Los Angeles to Houston to avoid traffic and smog.

Yeah, traffic in Houston is more manageable and air pollution isn't nearly as bad as in Los Angeles overall, but Houston is still not enough of an improvement in those areas to justify a move halfway across the country for those reasons alone.

Same deal with winter in Michigan vs. winter in the Upper South - yeah, winter in KY, TN and NC is slightly milder, but it's still freezing cold for at least five months total, and snow and ice are regular winter occurrences there.

For example, overnight low temperatures are going to be in the mid-40's in Charlotte, NC for the rest of this week, and Charlotte is warmer than most cities in KY, TN and even NC!

The overnight low in Lexington, KY is going to be 35F on Tuesday. Sorry, but to most Americans, that's pretty darn cold.

If you want to remain in the eastern half of the country, you should really look into either FL, coastal GA or SC or the Gulf Coast areas of AL, MS, LA and TX if you want any measurable improvement in terms of winter weather.

That's my $0.02.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.