Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2016, 09:43 AM

3 posts, read 1,905 times

Advertisements

I'm from Michigan, and the weather here is not conducive to my or my mom's sinus issues.

We're looking to move somewhere warmer (KY, TN, NC) where we can buy some land for our 4 dogs and where we can get some chickens or goats.

I don't mind being out in the country more, but would like a bigger city nearby where we could start our own craft business and I could work a good job until that is feasible.

Given that I haven't been to most of these places, what are the recommendations for a moderate climate with small business support and animal friendliness?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2016, 11:13 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,960,195 times
Yeah, Lexington, KY is probably a good choice.

Old 04-09-2016, 11:18 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,910,956 times
I know from personal experience (and from others) that you won't find a lot of relief from a winter sinus condition in those states. I would push further south into SC (SE side), AL (southern), GA (southern) or FL where there's less of a winter season in general and more importantly higher humidity. Places like Mobile AL, Tallahassee FL, Charleston SC and Savannah GA would offer the bigger city feel you're looking for (along with jobs) and places on the outskirts would have the land and country feel you're looking for.

Old 04-09-2016, 12:33 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,092,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homefurryhome View Post
I'm from Michigan, and the weather here is not conducive to my or my mom's sinus issues.

We're looking to move somewhere warmer (KY, TN, NC) where we can buy some land for our 4 dogs and where we can get some chickens or goats.

I don't mind being out in the country more, but would like a bigger city nearby where we could start our own craft business and I could work a good job until that is feasible.

Given that I haven't been to most of these places, what are the recommendations for a moderate climate with small business support and animal friendliness?
You need to move west where the air is drier. When I was in Denver I had zero sinus problems which was great compared to being in Chicago and up in Marquette where my sinuses go crazy. You should seriously consider New Mexico or Arizona. Taos, Santa Fe, and Sedona are all great cities for the arts.

Old 04-09-2016, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1984 View Post
You need to move west where the air is drier. When I was in Denver I had zero sinus problems which was great compared to being in Chicago and up in Marquette where my sinuses go crazy. You should seriously consider New Mexico or Arizona. Taos, Santa Fe, and Sedona are all great cities for the arts.
I disagree 100%. Dry air is what sets off sinus issues for most as your body tries to cope by producing more mucus and blood vessels constrict leading to sinus headaches or even migraines.

Old 04-09-2016, 01:51 PM

8,605 posts, read 14,888,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I disagree 100%. Dry air is what sets off sinus issues for most as your body tries to cope by producing more mucus and blood vessels constrict leading to sinus headaches or even migraines.
I can count on one hand the number of sinus infections I've had since I moved back to Denver 5 years ago. I'd get them 3-4 times a year in Dallas. For me allergies are a much bigger trigger.

Old 04-09-2016, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
I can count on one hand the number of sinus infections I've had since I moved back to Denver 5 years ago. I'd get them 3-4 times a year in Dallas. For me allergies are a much bigger trigger.
See, that's the big fallacy. Many years ago doctors were telling patients to move to the Desert SW for allergy/sinus issues only to find out just like in Denver things do pollinate and it created a whole new set of triggers for many. There are also varying "sinus issues" ranging from those caused by pollen (your version) as well as those induced by cold/low humidity (the OP's version).

Old 04-09-2016, 03:16 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,346,611 times
Quote:

All 3 of the states you mentioned do get winter. They're not as bad as Michigan, but it's possible to have days or weeks of temperatures hovering around freezing or below. Just last year, Louisville had wind chills below 0. Last winter was much worse all over, but we still had mornings with lows in the single digits in Louisville. With Louisville being an urban heat island, it's usually warmer in the mornings here than most other parts of the state. TN and NC regularly get snow also, but less than KY.

I agree with kyle. You need to look even further south if you're trying to avoid winter altogether. While basically everywhere on south to near Miami can get below freezing in winter, it's not nearly as common as it is in MI, KY, TN, or NC.

Your criteria is pretty broad, though, and depending on your own wishes and needs, there are tons of options out there for you. You should be looking further south, though.

Old 04-09-2016, 04:32 PM

3 posts, read 1,905 times
We don't mind some snow, but would prefer to avoid having to shovel a foot of snow two or three times a week in the middle of winter.

I have a concern about moving to the western states (New Mexico and Arizona) because of the growing season for gardens and the ability to have outside animals like chickens and goats.

We've looked at places like Clarksville, TN, Asheville, NC and Charlotte, NC and plan on visiting in the fall, but figured we could try and tailor the trip based on the type of place we're trying to find.

Old 04-09-2016, 05:49 PM

1,098 posts, read 1,546,603 times
Quote:

You can also check out Hampton Roads. You could buy land for pretty cheap probably in Suffolk and start a business in Norfolk or Virginia Beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.