U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2016, 02:33 PM

3,264 posts, read 1,644,159 times

Advertisements

I was curious what the ratings on cities from scale from 1 to 10 and how they are run by the elected officials.

Phoenix: 5. I lived in the Phoenix area and its moderately run considering it's very low taxes. They seem to do the best they can with limited resources with their police department. The violent crime rate is very low considering the amount of the poverty it has. The library is below average. The streets and sidewalks are okay.

Mesa a suburb of Phoenix is 2, horrible run city. The police department has many lawsuits that have been filed for excessive force, many streets are very well worn and many sidewalks are below average shape, libraries are terrible, the city is deep in debt with little to show for it. The city spent money for a light-rail that goes to the worst big city downtown in America.

Gilbert, AZ is a 10: It is a city of 250,000 people which is majority of home owners associations, they have one of the best police departments. They have some of the best fire department response times in the nation supposedly. All the roads are streets are smooth as silk.

Las Vegas and Clark County is a 3: The roads are falling apart, The sheriff department is terrible and the crime is rapidly increasing. The jail is supposedly very much like a 3rd world country. The library collection is very weak for a county of 2 million people. They don't have stately public parks. The public officials are elected based on popularity and not policy. Its obvious from the small that they have sewer problems.

Salt Lake City 7. The roads are average, the city what it does to facilitate devolopment, one of the best library systems in America, the sidewalks are average. The crime rate is higher then it should be based on the fact it's such a rich city and has unlimited resources.

Denver 7: Its a well run city. Great Police department, the city run hospital is a dump. The roads and sidewalks are average. The city seems to do what it can to aid to private sector to devolop into a very nice city. One of the best park systems in America and average libraries.

Lincoln 9: Lincoln is well-run. The city has a great effective police department, nice parks, they are aggressive about doing what they can to be pro-devolopment. The roads are great but the sidewalks are average.

Omaha 5: Omaha seems to have a good police department, the roads and sidewalks are falling apart in many places and the city is dirtier then it should be. The mayor is a drama queen who is confrontational also.

Columbus 9: Nice parks, amazing libraries, good roads, streets, sidewalks. Seems to have a good, effective police department compared to most cities in the rust-belt. One can see the city is very pro-devolopment

Colorado Springs: 8. The police department is okay with what it has but they refuse to be well-staffed, the roads are very good for a big city. The library which is seperated from the city is amazing for a city of it's size. The parks system is probubly one of the best in America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2016, 05:39 PM

1,099 posts, read 1,130,325 times
Virginia Beach: 5. It does some things right, but frankly, it reeks of corruption (developers in bed with city officials). It's amazing how many developers refuse to build things here unless the city picks up part of the cost. It's a disgusting habit, and Mayor Sessoms' unscrupulous ties to TowneBank are more than just a little suspicious.

Norfolk: 8. Norfolk gets better by the month. The city government is working nonstop to Norfolk into what's probably one of the most underrated gems on the east coast. It gets points docked, however, for some of the crime problems.
Edit:
Good thread, OP. Interesting topic.

Old 04-10-2016, 02:06 AM

973 posts, read 741,398 times
Seattle city limits: 3/4 I'm somewhat torn. Roads are Horrendous with a capital H! Seriously there's places here where pot holes are so bad the city will reimburse you for knocking your front end allignment out. They passed like 2 big transportation things here and they are all pretty pointless/ don't do too much. SEATTLE LOVES TRANSIT! Okay transit is good but there is too much here. And by too much I mean ISNT USED. Busses that only run with 3 people on them, there are a lot that are full about 75% are. But that 25% needs to have cut service. If the government was ran like a business I think they would save much more money. There's a south lake Union street car and at like 7 at night no one is on it. So after 5 lets stop service? I think you guys get the point next subject!

Police here are pretty lame. They are somewhat harassive/ aren't around. And when they are around they are being harassive SOMEWHAT. There was an event going on, the roads were changed tho. I was in a lane to turn, but a police officer was there and I said, "Oh sorry I thought this was a turn lane!" He replied "UGH WELL IT ISNT!" VERY rudely he said that. Actually it was a turn lane he was just blocking it! They don't patrol the whole city very well/at all. They patrol one busy street in downtown. I read on this forum that people were having car break ins and police weren't responding.

Oh I forgot on the transportation section Seattle is CRAZY about bike lanes. Even tho no one uses them! This isn't my oppinion this is a FACT, it what I see. Even tho no uses the ones here they continue to put more bike lanes that no one uses in (VERY FEW USE).

I'm not sure what the city could do but there is a horrible homeless issue.

Side walks are horrible, I mean they are anti car and pro other transportation method. I mean isn't walking the best form of transportaion? I think it is but they have horrible sidewalks.

Everything is so expensive not sure if that's the governments fault tho.

Crappy zoning. Places where buildings should be high they aren't. Then when they do build skyscrapers they have to be ugly and boring cause zoning is so strict. There's a bunch of old traditional houses then there's a modern house with ORANGE on it. It really sticks out and disrupts the "vibe".

Unless your a full fledged democrat/ FAR left it might be somewhat uncomfortable around here. I mean even if you somewhat lean to the left I don't think you'd like it here. Seattle is for the pretty strong democrats/ FAR left. Well that might be a pro if your a complete democrat/ FAR left.

Okay let's do the pros now!

I don't think the government is corrupt! I think they might actually have Seattle best interest in mind, they just aren't practically at all tho... But they care about you! I think...

Plenty of transit!

It's pretty safe, I don't think that's because the government tho. I think the people here are just good people/not a lot of scummy people here. As far a violent crime goes.

Old 04-10-2016, 02:08 AM

973 posts, read 741,398 times
I forgot to say this is a GREAT thread idea!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or