U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2016, 01:58 PM

5,616 posts, read 3,932,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
I'm a native houstonian who occasionally visits the Phoenix area to visit a family member. I love houstons summers but I am a rarity. I like the humidity. Skin looks and feels better with humidity. Sweat is the body's way of cooling itself. When I summer in Phoenix, I feel like a baked potato -- hot and no self cooling.
The problem is that sweat doesnt evaporate in Houston, like it does in AZ, which is more dangerous. And trust me, we sweat like pigs here in the summer, just due to the temps, not the lack of humidity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2016, 04:14 PM

48 posts, read 46,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
The problem is that sweat doesnt evaporate in Houston, like it does in AZ, which is more dangerous. And trust me, we sweat like pigs here in the summer, just due to the temps, not the lack of humidity.
But with all that water lost from the body, you dehydrate faster in Arizona vs in Houston.

Old 04-13-2016, 06:45 PM

3,539 posts, read 1,513,328 times
Personally, I would rather live in Houston. Just like it better overall and like that there are beaches nearby.

Old 04-13-2016, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
Personally, I would rather live in Houston. Just like it better overall and like that there are beaches nearby.
But those beaches are ugly, and aren't worth the trip. See for yourself:

Old 04-13-2016, 08:22 PM

368 posts, read 397,933 times
I've lived in both, and currently live in Houston (my hometown). My parents live in Phoenix, so I spend time in both places. I prefer Houston. I prefer the weather in Houston, as the winters are roughly equal, but Phoenix summers are just too hot. Houston's summers are a walk in the park compared Phoenix's, IMHO.

Houston is more diverse, and has better cultural amenities. Also, the food in Houston is more varied. We have Tex-Mex, Cajun, and Texas BBQ options galore, as well as better Asian cuisine down here. I felt that the food in Phoenix lacked variety, with tastes aimed more towards the midwestern transplants, that prefer less spice and less flavoring. Houston has better ethnic foods, IMO.

Mountains are nice, but I'm an ocean lover. For that reason, I prefer the natural scenery of the Gulf Coastal Plains over the Sonoran Desert. I also prefer greenery to desert. Galveston is closer to Houston than any of the Arizona vacation destinations (Prescott/Sedona) are to Phoenix.

In addition, I feel that Houston has a better airport system than Phoenix. Intercontinental seems to run more smoothly than Sky Harbor, and I prefer United over AA. Plus some are worried PHX will be dehubbed because of the US/AA merger. Southwest has Hobby all nice and modernized (and flying international ), while Phoenix-Mesa Gateway is in a cheap temporary terminal with the only airline being Allegiant, which is a joke of an airline.

Overall, I think Houston is the winner. Phoenix does have some nice perks, like less traffic, and proximity to California, but I am happier here than I was in Phoenix.

Old 04-14-2016, 02:48 AM

3,149 posts, read 3,083,948 times
To chime in here, my aunt and uncle lived in Houston for about 20 years, then retired to Phoenix. After 4 years they moved back to Houston. They missed the "real city", and preferred Houston's weather. Said the summer storms cooled everything off while the heat and constant sun in Phoenix was unrelenting!

Old 04-14-2016, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
To chime in here, my aunt and uncle lived in Houston for about 20 years, then retired to Phoenix. After 4 years they moved back to Houston. They missed the "real city", and preferred Houston's weather. Said the summer storms cooled everything off while the heat and constant sun in Phoenix was unrelenting!
Phoenix gets plenty of summer thunderstorms too, via the Desert Monsoon. Unfortunately, those thunderstorms just don't give out the copious amounts of rain/vast downpours you get in US Gulf Coast cities like Houston or New Orleans; a lot of Desert Southwest thunderstorms just wind up producing virga (rain that evaporates before reaching the ground. Only in the mountainous areas will you get an even remotely decent amount of rainfall from those desert thunderstorms.

Old 04-14-2016, 06:28 AM

608 posts, read 434,721 times
Surprised to see so many here prefer Houston's weather.
I thought I was the only one who prefer it on the humid side.

Not saying it is pleasant, but give me a wet summer over a dry one any day.

DFW isn't anywhere near as dry as Phoenix, and even that took some getting used to. If I had to live in Phoenix, i would have to go straight from home to car to work, then reverse.

As for the person who said Texas beaches are not worth going to that is silly. So if you get up in the morning and can't have fillet mignon, you don't eat at all. Pure rubbish.

Old 04-14-2016, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
As for the person who said Texas beaches are not worth going to that is silly. So if you get up in the morning and can't have fillet mignon, you don't eat at all. Pure rubbish.

Read my post again (Hint: check the spoiler).
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalCircuit View Post
But those beaches are ugly, and aren't worth the trip. See for yourself:

Old 04-14-2016, 04:24 PM

608 posts, read 434,721 times
Wow, I totally missed the mark on that post.
I'm sorry.
I should have clicked the link.
I see so much uninformed rhetoric on here that I incorrectly assumed it was another ignorant post.

I do apologize
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.