U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2016, 05:23 PM

18,913 posts, read 6,844,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by :-D View Post
Lack of humidity means that Arizona has colder winters however I find the weather here a lot more tolerable. Especially the summers. Both are hot now don't underestimate that but in the winter it's common for Arizona to get below freezing or in the 20s at night time while having 70 degree highs. I don't suspect Houston to get that low.

Summers it's either sauna or oven... I think Arizona is better because a shady spot versus a sunny spot can have a twenty degree difference during the day, so shade is key to handling our heat. Houston I don't know, but that Southern weather is so muggy and bug-infested I would pass.
Actually, Phoenix is about 3-5 degrees warmer than Houston in the winter. Highs Dec-Feb:
PHX 65-74 IAH 62-69 Lows PHX 43-50 IAH 44-51
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2016, 04:14 PM

5,616 posts, read 3,932,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyboardSamurai View Post
Looks like PHX averages higher daytime highs, a given, since it is sunnier in winter than Houston.

Although winters in PHX are nice, the summers are just too brutal for any sane human to live in. Houston's summers are by far more equitable, and tolerable.
There's LOTS of perfectly sane people moving here who tolerate summer just fine, as hot as it is. And its more comfortable than Houston's hot, nasty, sticky weather, due to the dry air. I would say Houstonians are more insane for dealing with their summers, hurricanes, and flooding, than a little heat in Phoenix.

Old 04-20-2016, 07:04 PM

4,552 posts, read 3,633,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
There's LOTS of perfectly sane people moving here who tolerate summer just fine, as hot as it is. And its more comfortable than Houston's hot, nasty, sticky weather, due to the dry air. I would say Houstonians are more insane for dealing with their summers, hurricanes, and flooding, than a little heat in Phoenix.
Don't feed the troll...

Old 04-20-2016, 08:09 PM

839 posts, read 2,538,243 times
Default Phoenix is the worst by far!

First of all there is something wrong with the heat index formula. It doesn't seem to calculate the effect of being out in the full sun. Believe me I have lived for years in both Phoenix and Houston. the Arizona heat in the mid summer is worse by far. I remember days that were so hot that there was no way humanly possible to be outside in that kind of heat for any length of time. you could not walk barefoot outside or your feet would be severely burned. I also remember that anything you touch will burn you even the steering wheel of your car. I also remember that all of the litter on the ground would turn bleach white from the sun beating on it all day long. I remember that even at 10pm it would still be over 100 degrees. I remember that in the dead of the summer there would be total silence because there was nothing alive outside. Not even a housefly could survive the summers. The only living things I remember seeing outside were lizards and ants. I remember having visitors from out of town once in the summer and we had to stay inside the entire time they visited. they couldn't believe how incredibly hot it was in Arizona.

the reason why the Arizona heat is worse is because outside you are always in the FULL SUN. It is like an oven element baking you. the oven effect is worse than having humidity. Remember that temperatures are taken in the shade and only air temps are measured. My thermometer which was in the sun would always read over 130 DEGREES. The recorded temperature would be like 108 but in reality it was 135 degrees in the full sun. When the temps would reach 115+ it would be like HELL outside with full sun temps reaching as high as 150 degrees.

In the south although you have humidity there are usually clouds protecting you from the sun and even the humidity seems to offer protection from the sun. Yes, the humidity does bring the heat index up a bit but it is no comparison to what the full sun does to you.

Old 04-20-2016, 08:39 PM

5,642 posts, read 7,442,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
You're right. Just like there are lots of perfectly sane people in Houston. Unfortunately, there are some posters here who do not know when to quit and must resort to creating multiple user names (after being banned) in order to continue the ridiculousness. Just like :-D stated, try not to feed the troll because it keeps coming back.

Old 04-20-2016, 09:39 PM

4,552 posts, read 3,633,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
You're right. Just like there are lots of perfectly sane people in Houston. Unfortunately, there are some posters here who do not know when to quit and must resort to creating multiple user names (after being banned) in order to continue the ridiculousness. Just like :-D stated, try not to feed the troll because it keeps coming back.
Very true, I've definitely seen that poster before. Inferiority complex much?

Old 04-20-2016, 09:49 PM

1,450 posts, read 875,635 times
I do well if the temperature is below 98 degrees, but cold below 50 degrees makes me ill. The cold does not feel so uncomfortable, yet it makes me very ill. Phoenix has higher day winter temperature. I think Tucson is even better? Houston gets too cold, but Corpus Christi is nice.

Old 04-21-2016, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Please sit down, any sane man would take Houston's summers over Phoenix, and twice on Sundays too. I mean Phoenix is basically Venus compared to Houston.
And why are places like Vegas and Phoenix the fastest growing cities in the nation? Why are places like CA the most desired? Dry air.

Screw Houston and its swamp air, its disgusting.

Old 04-21-2016, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Phoenix is a broiling desert Hell that gets souped up annually with monsoon air from the Californian Gulf (making it a muggy, broiling desert Hell). Temps can still be near 100F even at night, so no cooling comfort even then.

Ironically, dry as it is, some of the deadliest flash floods can occur there, and the rain doesn't even need to be over it; all it has to do is rain in some of those outlying mountains/canyons, the water flows through the water courses and WHAM, before people knew what hit them.

No sane human should even pick this climate over Houston; this might as well be a choice between Venus and Houston.
Yes, it flash floods here, the ground is hard. But you thinking that when it rains in distant, outlying canyons floods Phoenix, youre sorely mistaken. No rain from distant lands floods Phoenix. It only floods here when it rains over an inch (which is pretty rare), because the water accumulates on the surface so fast, it creates flash floods, and the washes overflow.

But guess what? Unlike the cesspool that is Houston, the water is dried up within a few short hours, and all is back to normal. Houston is underwater yet again, the water causing millions and millions of damage, displacing thousands of people. That doesnt happen in Phoenix.

Old 04-21-2016, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd433 View Post
First of all there is something wrong with the heat index formula. It doesn't seem to calculate the effect of being out in the full sun. Believe me I have lived for years in both Phoenix and Houston. the Arizona heat in the mid summer is worse by far. I remember days that were so hot that there was no way humanly possible to be outside in that kind of heat for any length of time. you could not walk barefoot outside or your feet would be severely burned. I also remember that anything you touch will burn you even the steering wheel of your car. I also remember that all of the litter on the ground would turn bleach white from the sun beating on it all day long. I remember that even at 10pm it would still be over 100 degrees. I remember that in the dead of the summer there would be total silence because there was nothing alive outside. Not even a housefly could survive the summers. The only living things I remember seeing outside were lizards and ants. I remember having visitors from out of town once in the summer and we had to stay inside the entire time they visited. they couldn't believe how incredibly hot it was in Arizona.

the reason why the Arizona heat is worse is because outside you are always in the FULL SUN. It is like an oven element baking you. the oven effect is worse than having humidity. Remember that temperatures are taken in the shade and only air temps are measured. My thermometer which was in the sun would always read over 130 DEGREES. The recorded temperature would be like 108 but in reality it was 135 degrees in the full sun. When the temps would reach 115+ it would be like HELL outside with full sun temps reaching as high as 150 degrees.

In the south although you have humidity there are usually clouds protecting you from the sun and even the humidity seems to offer protection from the sun. Yes, the humidity does bring the heat index up a bit but it is no comparison to what the full sun does to you.
What a ridiculous post. Do you honestly think no one goes outside in teh summer? lol

Sure its hot! But the slightest preparations (water, sunscreen, and hat) can easily make outdoor activities entirely possible. I think youre just a weakling when it comes to heat? I dunno. I ride my bike in the dead of summer, and Ill pass hundreds of other people doing the same. The bike path goes right past a skate park. Guess what? Its full of skaters and bikers. It also meanders past several golf courses, also with golfers playing their hearts out. A few turns later it goes past a disc golf course, that ALWAYS has people playing in summer, too.

Sure beats having to evacuate my home in Houston due to hurricanes or MORE flooding.

Give me a break.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.