U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2016, 10:24 AM

12,842 posts, read 4,638,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
So what? People are moving there AND raising families in these cities. It's all good.

You can't exclude the fact that five cities in Texas are in the top ten fastest growing cities in the US. Babies aren't working, starting businesses or buying homes in those areas.

Unemployment rate in the US: 5.2 percent (April 2016)

Unemployment rate in Houston: 4.7 percent even with the loss of some oil and gas jobs (April 2016)

Unemployment rate in Dallas: 3.7

Unemployment rate in Austin: 3.1

Unemployment Rates for Large Metropolitan Areas
But population growth doesnt tell us which has the highest net migration rates. Utah also has high population growth. Its true that some Texas cities are counting on people from well educated states to move there because it uses tax money on tax breaks for businesses instead of public schools. This is a problem.

Your link clearly says February 2016, by the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2016, 01:25 PM

44,651 posts, read 36,106,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
But population growth doesnt tell us which has the highest net migration rates. Utah also has high population growth. Its true that some Texas cities are counting on people from well educated states to move there because it uses tax money on tax breaks for businesses instead of public schools. This is a problem.

Your link clearly says February 2016, by the way.

I didn't' get all the information from that link though - just the last couple of stats. That's why I dated the first couple of stats, because they are NOT from February 2016. But thanks for paying attention. Or nit picking, which ever term you prefer.

Texas is home to some excellent universities. And just an aside note, Texas also has one of the highest high school graduation rates in the US. It was THE highest a couple of years ago but I don't have the curiosity to look it up for last year.

Old 04-23-2016, 06:24 PM

4,552 posts, read 3,633,260 times
You couldn't pay me enough to live in Texas. When it comes to sweltering heat I'd rather deal with it where I still have my family and friends close by without restarting all over again. I don't know a single soul in Texas, I know a few from the Houston area but they are in Arizona now. If I'm going to be uprooting my life it would have to be for somewhere I would enjoy. To be honest I don't enjoy Phoenix that much and I can't see myself liking Houston either. But Phoenix at least has my family.

OP as you can see, if you're still around, that people are very opinionated on both sides here. It's gonna be up to you which one you like.

Old 04-23-2016, 07:55 PM

1,573 posts, read 1,427,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm not a cookie View Post
lol okay.
Haters gonna hate.

Old 04-23-2016, 08:52 PM

1,934 posts, read 1,698,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfoe View Post
Haters gonna hate.
haha, could say the exact same thing to you

Old 04-23-2016, 09:10 PM

1,573 posts, read 1,427,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm not a cookie View Post
haha, could say the exact same thing to you
Never said anything negative about phoenix. Nice try though.

Old 04-24-2016, 10:15 AM

3,750 posts, read 3,866,895 times
Since you want to talk about net migration here we go...

2014 to 2015 change.

Houston total gain +159,083
Net domestic migration +61,759
Net international migration +37,501

Phoenix total gain +87,988
Net domestic migration +45,299
Net international migration +12,923

Los Angeles total gain +85,671
Net domestic migration -71,169
Net international migration +71,745

LA was included simply because posters keep bringing it up.

https://www.recenter.tamu.edu/data/p...-Anaheim%2C_CA

Old 04-24-2016, 09:07 PM

839 posts, read 2,538,243 times
Default This Person has not checked his facts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
And why are places like Vegas and Phoenix the fastest growing cities in the nation? Why are places like CA the most desired? Dry air.

Screw Houston and its swamp air, its disgusting.
You Referred to Phoenix as being one of the fastest growing cities? Well Houston is growing even faster. All those places that you mentioned are not growing faster than the Texas Cities.
If this turns into a slapdown thread Phoenix will lose by a mile. Phoenix is in a Junior league when compared to Houston.

Old 04-25-2016, 06:42 AM

5,642 posts, read 7,442,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Houston is THE fastest growing city in the US so I do find your post to be....errr.....ironic.

In fact, the top three fastest growing cities in the US are, in order:

1. Houston
2. Austin
3. Dallas

Phoenix and Vegas weren't even in the top ten, though five of the top ten were in Texas (the other two were San Antonio and Fort Worth).
Houston, Texas - In Photos: America's Fastest-Growing Cities 2015 - Forbes

While Houston and Dallas were the top two fastest-growing metros as of last year when it comes to numerical population growth (from 7/1/14-7/1/15), Phoenix was 4th. Therefore, according to the U.S. Census Bureau, Phoenix is still is one of the fastest-growing. Austin and San Antonio (while still fast-growing) were down the list at 14th and 15th.

Last edited by AZLiam; 04-25-2016 at 06:51 AM..

Old 04-25-2016, 01:47 PM

5,616 posts, read 3,932,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd433 View Post
You Referred to Phoenix as being one of the fastest growing cities? Well Houston is growing even faster. All those places that you mentioned are not growing faster than the Texas Cities.
If this turns into a slapdown thread Phoenix will lose by a mile. Phoenix is in a Junior league when compared to Houston.
It wasnt for always. AZ and NV were the fastest-growing states, led by Phoenix and Vegas respectively.
PHX and LV might have slowed a bit, but they are gaining steam again. It wont be long before PHX's growth rates surpass Houston's. I see a huge influx of Texans to AZ, most looking to escape the garbage Texas weather. And if Houston keeps flooding like it does, more and more people are gonna get sick and tired of the nonsense and pack up and leave. And if the oil industry tanks, Houston is in for a world of hurt, while Phoenix will soldier on unphased.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.