Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2016, 06:34 PM

5,837 posts, read 6,105,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
Wow, I totally missed the mark on that post.
I'm sorry.
I should have clicked the link.
I see so much uninformed rhetoric on here that I incorrectly assumed it was another ignorant post.

I do apologize
I think his picture was a tongue in cheek jab at the many people (most of them Houstonians) who are constantly complaining about how awful and ugly Galveston and its beaches are. The picture shows blue waters and nice sand, something many people don't believe exists in Galveston. But, truth be told, the "nice" beach days in Galveston are outnumbered by the brown water days.

It's okay overall, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2016, 02:09 AM

48 posts, read 72,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
Wow, I totally missed the mark on that post.
I'm sorry.
I should have clicked the link.
I see so much uninformed rhetoric on here that I incorrectly assumed it was another ignorant post.

I do apologize
It's okay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
I think his picture was a tongue in cheek jab at the many people (most of them Houstonians) who are constantly complaining about how awful and ugly Galveston and its beaches are. The picture shows blue waters and nice sand, something many people don't believe exists in Galveston. But, truth be told, the "nice" beach days in Galveston are outnumbered by the brown water days.

It's okay overall, though.
The sand quality, though, will still be what it is, whether the water is clear or not.

Old 04-15-2016, 08:03 AM

641 posts, read 1,007,122 times
I'm torn because both are extremely hot in the summer and I hate it when it gets above 80. Houston's weather is extremely hot plus the humidity, but they have the Gulf of Mexico so close. I'm not sure how often I would go but it is there.

Phoenix is extremely hot without the humidity but they don't have a large body of water nearby. I'm sure all of the pools help people and the difference in the shade vs. Houston is night and day.

I think I would go with Phoenix, cooler nights and winters and less humidity.

Old 04-15-2016, 10:30 PM

1,297 posts, read 3,082,359 times
I'd choose Phoenix but I'm biased and prefer anything starting in San Antonio on westward. Really depends what ones likes are. Big bustling cities w lots of amenities and culture, Houston wins. I prefer Phoenix for the desert scenery, proximity to california, more laid back, and other things that Houston doesn't offer. But it goes either way.

I do prefer Houston weather. Not that either are ideal in July or August.

Last edited by eastontracks; 04-15-2016 at 11:40 PM..

Old 04-16-2016, 08:10 PM

1,932 posts, read 2,448,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
Try not to argue with people who've never spent significant time in a locale, but are known experts. This is CD after all...
lol Yeah I know I guess you're right, it just really irritates me when some people make these huge generalizations about phoenix and spew all of this information that they looked up on google passing it off as first hand experience.

Old 04-16-2016, 08:11 PM

8,513 posts, read 10,029,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm not a cookie View Post
lol Yeah I know I guess you're right, it just really irritates me when some people make these huge generalizations about phoenix and spew all of this information that they looked up on google passing it off as first hand experience.
I've been fighting this battle for years here on CD and the "experts" keep coming, except they keep getting younger and more ignorant...lol.

Old 04-16-2016, 08:54 PM

352 posts, read 566,733 times
Default Houston vs Phoenix

I lived in Arizona 5 years and Texas for 6 years (both houston & dfw). Summers are crazy in both areas, but what I've learned to observe is "Dew Points" and how every person's body acclimates to dry vs. humid climates. When the summer rolled around in Houston, I quickly realized that I felt way more comfortable in a hot+arid/semi-arid summer vs the high heat+dew point summers in the gulf. The monsoon season in AZ was the most moisture+heat I ever want to experience. Also, my allergies (mold) have been terrible since living in Texas.

Some people are comfy with dew points of 70+ where I'm comfortable with dew points of 60 and below.
I'm currently in DFW, and I hear people who come from areas surrounding the gulf of mexico, and they perceive DFW as "dry". Then folks like myself, move from the drier western U.S. to DFW/Houston, and may find it to be a bit humid (and crazy, as we get it all-wind, ice, heat, hail, tornado's, hurricane's etc.)

Winters weren't terrible in either place, and Houston is the "bigger" city. Not 100% sure about the construction jobs, but I know people are still moving to both places.

While Phoenix has some cultural amenities, Houston wins in that category. They both have Pappadeaux's, so i'm happy.

I looked at moving east however, I'm truly considering going back west sooner than later for a quality of life adjustment, dry weather and scenery. Along with weather, I like having access to CA, Puerto Peñasco, Vegas and places like Sedona or Alpine, AZ within a 2-5 hours drive.

Last edited by USNomad; 04-16-2016 at 09:06 PM..

Old 04-16-2016, 09:11 PM

8,513 posts, read 10,029,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNomad View Post
I lived in Arizona 5 years and Texas for 6 years (both houston & dfw). Summers are crazy in both areas, but what I've learned to observe is "Dew Points" and how every person's body acclimates to dry vs. humid climates. When the summer rolled around in Houston, I quickly realized that I felt way more comfortable in a hot+arid/semi-arid summer vs the high heat+dew point summers in the gulf. The monsoon season in AZ was the most moisture+heat I ever want to experience.

Some people are comfy with dew points of 70+ where I'm comfortable with dew points of 60 and below.
I'm currently in DFW, and I hear people who come from areas surrounding the gulf of mexico, and they perceive DFW as "dry". Then folks like myself, move from the drier western U.S. to DFW/Houston, and may find it to be a bit humid (and crazy, as we get it all-wind, ice, heat, hail, tornado's, hurricane's etc.)

While Phoenix has some cultural amenities, Houston wins in that category. They both have Pappadeaux's, so i'm happy.

I looked at moving east however, I'm truly considering going back west sooner than later for a quality of life adjustment, dry weather and scenery. Along with weather, I like having access to CA, Puerto Peñasco, Vegas and places like Sedona or Alpine, AZ within a 2-5 hours drive.
While I have never lived in Houston, I have spent quite a bit of time there. I love the city, but I just could not handle the humidity and I could not stand the feeling of being sweaty all of the time. I did live in Dallas and it does seem drier than Houston, as well as Austin and San Antonio. I gotta love Pappadeaux's as it's practically down the street from me. When it comes to Phoenix summers, I'm just thankful to have a pool. I will admit that it gets hot, but if I were to choose, I would take the drier heat even during monsoon season than the higher dew points.

Old 04-16-2016, 09:11 PM

48 posts, read 72,015 times
Quote:
lol you're clearly a person from a humid state who can't comprehend what high temperatures feel like in a dry heat. It's literally nothing like what high temps feel like in a humid states. I've lived in both a humid and dry state so I know the difference. Not going to argue back and forth with you, agree to disagree.
No matter how you spin it, 84F for a low is very warm, and just is not cool, comforting night-time temps at all.

Quote:
So hard facts and data irritates you? That's too bad;they are what they are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNomad View Post
I lived in Arizona 5 years and Texas for 6 years (both houston & dfw). Summers are crazy in both areas, but what I've learned to observe is "Dew Points" and how every person's body acclimates to dry vs. humid climates. When the summer rolled around in Houston, I quickly realized that I felt way more comfortable in a hot+arid/semi-arid summer vs the high heat+dew point summers in the gulf. The monsoon season in AZ was the most moisture+heat I ever want to experience. Also, my allergies (mold) have been terrible since living in Texas.
Imagine 100F + heat in actual temps, combined with moist humidity from the ocean; that is what happens in Arizona's monsoon, and you get an even more atrocious combo of heat and humidity than in Houston/Gulf Coast (where temps are low enough so that the heat/humidity combo isn't that bad). The heat indices in Phoenix are higher than those at Houston/Gulf Coast.

Old 04-16-2016, 10:05 PM

20,500 posts, read 33,299,328 times
Phoenix is hot and dry and Houston is hot and humid. Keyword is obvious here so what's the argument. The Summer time in these cities are not the best times to be in these cities. I assume Winter is better in Phoenix and Spring is better in Houston. Fall is pretty much equal in both places. It's called preference. I prefer humidity the older I get. But I have no problem if people prefer Phoenix dry climate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.