Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2016, 04:30 PM

3 posts, read 4,476 times

Advertisements

Which has more miserable summers? Houston, Texas or Phoenix, Arizona? Which has better/warmer winters?

And which is a bigger city? Literally, which is a bigger city?

And which has better shops and more nightlife and more things to do and funner and better/nicer people and hot young women? And better construction/carpentry jobs?

Please explain in every little detail, I am planning to move to one of the two this summer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2016, 06:17 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,811,816 times
Lack of humidity means that Arizona has colder winters however I find the weather here a lot more tolerable. Especially the summers. Both are hot now don't underestimate that but in the winter it's common for Arizona to get below freezing or in the 20s at night time while having 70 degree highs. I don't suspect Houston to get that low.

Summers it's either sauna or oven... I think Arizona is better because a shady spot versus a sunny spot can have a twenty degree difference during the day, so shade is key to handling our heat. Houston I don't know, but that Southern weather is so muggy and bug-infested I would pass.

Old 04-09-2016, 06:31 PM

1,932 posts, read 2,471,404 times
Texas summers are horrific. Arizona summers are hot as hell too. I don't like humidity in the slightest, I prefer a dry heat so to answer you question, it all depends on if you like humidity or dry heat. Both summers suck though. In terms of winter, not sure, haven't been to Houston in the winter. I will say that Phoenix winters are gorgeous, although it gets pretty cold at night. I had a friend from denver visit me and he said he was freezing at night, when we were walking around downtown scottsdale.

Old 04-09-2016, 10:01 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,958,731 times
Its sauna or the oven as another poster said. The two worst summers in America by far.

None are good for carpenters or construction workers, but Phoenix offer better pay.

Old 04-10-2016, 05:53 AM

273 posts, read 349,860 times
Both cities have nasty summers but I favor Houston because I personally like green, humidity and thunderstorms.

Houston has had the edge with the economy but that is now changing due to the low oil prices. If oil prices stay below $50 a barrel for another year or so than it's game over for Houston. It may become the next Detroit with high unemployment, crime and vacant homes. The economy definitely favors Phoenix long term.

Old 04-10-2016, 09:05 AM

20,515 posts, read 33,540,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Valencia View Post
Both cities have nasty summers but I favor Houston because I personally like green, humidity and thunderstorms.

Houston has had the edge with the economy but that is now changing due to the low oil prices. If oil prices stay below $50 a barrel for another year or so than it's game over for Houston. It may become the next Detroit with high unemployment, crime and vacant homes. The economy definitely favors Phoenix long term.
Highly doubt it will ever get that bad in Houston. There is a huge medical industry there and it's still growing as well as manufacturing.

Old 04-10-2016, 04:16 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,901,685 times
Houston is the bigger city, with superior cultural amenities to Phoenix. Houston's demographics are more diverse than Phoenix, which leads to a more diverse food scene.

Summer weather in both cities is pretty awful. (Pick your poison)

I personally would rather live in Houston.

Old 04-10-2016, 04:18 PM

1,349 posts, read 1,707,420 times
Phoenix has some topography. Houston is a very ugly city. Flat as a pancake. But I'm partial to desert vs swamp.

Old 04-10-2016, 10:16 PM

594 posts, read 698,650 times
The human body temperature is 98.6.
The reason why Phoenix and Houston are booming is the hyperbole of summer being " Hell " is just that...hyperbole. Millions of people just like yourself visited during the summer, and after laying in the pool with a cocktail and the endless summer activities like salt river tubing,water parks, pool parties etc is definitely not a bad place to spend your WINTER !
Although I live in Phoenix and my opinion would be bias, you really can't go wrong with either locations.

Old 04-11-2016, 05:19 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,806,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Valencia View Post

Was reading a study yesterday that explained how crisis affects the major metros. In terms of $ amounts NY and LA obviously were at the top of the list. For Houston sustained drop in oil prices was listed as the 3rd most detrimental to its economy.

You guys are overstating the impact of cheap oil. The study explained that thought the impact on the economy is harsh, the effect is blunted by other areas of the economy, such as an increase in other energy sectors, increase in shipping in none O&G sectors, and increase in medical sectores.

They estimated a decrease to the tune of $9 Billlion, which is a huge number on its own, but in relation to Houston's overall economy, that's no where near making it the next Detroit. That's taking a downturn in the economy to the extreme.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.