Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city has the most culture?
Los Angeles 16 7.48%
New York city 112 52.34%
Chicago 12 5.61%
New orleans 32 14.95%
Miami 4 1.87%
Seattle 8 3.74%
Nashville 4 1.87%
Houston 9 4.21%
Washington D.C. 17 7.94%
Voters: 214. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 11:19 PM

4,906 posts, read 6,847,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Next time any of you are in NYC, take the 7 train through Queens and get off at different stops. It's known as the "International express" train because it goes through about 100s of different ethnic neighborhoods. And this is only in a span of about 2 miles. Here are some pictures:

An AWESOME Filipino grocery store I love going to, in the Little Manila section:

Beautiful pics Rachael84. The 7 has some of the best views of the skyline IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2009, 12:09 AM

7 posts, read 9,923 times
lamexican,

I read your wiki blurb. Twice now. I fail to see the part where it says NYC has the most culture and that "it's not even a contest." Your statement was "it's not even a contest." That arrogant statement (made by you - not all NYer's) is the only thing I have disputed. You can try to put words in my mouth, misquote me, quote me out of context, personally attack me or any other tactic you can think of to avoid supporting your original statement (or to avoid defining the meaning of "most culture"). If you wish to continue with that so be it, I will not even waste my time responding to you again.

As I said earlier the burden of proof is not on me. The burden of proof is on you. You said "NYC...it's not even a contest". If you can't even venture an attempt at defining what "most culture" means, I will assume I am wasting my time with you (I am trying very hard to keep an open mind about you but your combination of personal attack and misquote baiting is making it very difficult).

Everything you need to understand what I am talking about is already in the posts. If you really care to understand, re-read them (or maybe read them for the first time - completely). Really, all you need is your statement "NYC...it's not even a contest". I asked you to prove it. If you can't move forward don't even bother responding to this (if you just want to fight with someone you can respond with out moving forward if it makes you happy ) as I will not respond to you. If you didn't read all of this post make sure you do before posting that same encyclopedia article again. I read the article. You should read it. I already knew everything in it. I will not now nor have I ever disputed that New York has the largest population. I already knew it when the first person told me New York has the "most largest" population. I knew it the first time I read your article. I knew it the second time I read your article. Do you have any idea what culture means? Do you know that there is a difference between "most culture" and "most population"? (these last 2 questions are rhetorical - if the answer is "yes" then MOVE FORWARD - if the answer is "no" then don't bother because I definitely will not).

Old 05-30-2009, 12:34 AM

4,906 posts, read 6,847,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItSaulBS View Post
lamexican,

I read your wiki blurb. Twice now. I fail to see the part where it says NYC has the most culture and that "it's not even a contest." Your statement was "it's not even a contest." That arrogant statement (made by you - not all NYer's) is the only thing I have disputed. You can try to put words in my mouth, misquote me, quote me out of context, personally attack me or any other tactic you can think of to avoid supporting your original statement (or to avoid defining the meaning of "most culture"). If you wish to continue with that so be it, I will not even waste my time responding to you again.

As I said earlier the burden of proof is not on me. The burden of proof is on you. You said "NYC...it's not even a contest". If you can't even venture an attempt at defining what "most culture" means, I will assume I am wasting my time with you (I am trying very hard to keep an open mind about you but your combination of personal attack and misquote baiting is making it very difficult).

Everything you need to understand what I am talking about is already in the posts. If you really care to understand, re-read them (or maybe read them for the first time - completely). Really, all you need is your statement "NYC...it's not even a contest". I asked you to prove it. If you can't move forward don't even bother responding to this (if you just want to fight with someone you can respond with out moving forward if it makes you happy ) as I will not respond to you. If you didn't read all of this post make sure you do before posting that same encyclopedia article again. I read the article. You should read it. I already knew everything in it. I will not now nor have I ever disputed that New York has the largest population. I already knew it when the first person told me New York has the "most largest" population. I knew it the first time I read your article. I knew it the second time I read your article. Do you have any idea what culture means? Do you know that there is a difference between "most culture" and "most population"? (these last 2 questions are rhetorical - if the answer is "yes" then MOVE FORWARD - if the answer is "no" then don't bother because I definitely will not).
Best Culture in U.S. Cities — Infoplease.com
Lets summarize our conversation so far, so that we can show those reading this thread can remember how we got to this point.
I said NYC wins hands down.

You challenged me on it.

I answered your challenge more than once.

You continously misrepresent the link in order to act like you haven't been provided with something to refute. The link clearly said that NYC was the most "culturaly" diverse city. I provided another link in the post for you to refute.
You haven't backed any of your statements when asked. Can you provide a link to back your statement that NYC isn't the city with the most culture?
You then wait hours between post in what apears to be an atempt to get the last word in even though you haven't provided any counter argument what so ever.

Since you seem very slow let me ask more directly and bolder my questions.

Do you have anything to back your argument???and can you refute mine??

Old 05-30-2009, 12:50 AM

4,515 posts, read 9,700,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamexican View Post
Best Culture in U.S. Cities — Infoplease.com
Lets summarize our conversation so far, so that we can show those reading this thread can remember how we got to this point.
I said NYC wins hands down.

You challenged me on it.

I answered your challenge more than once.

You continously misrepresent the link in order to act like you haven't been provided with something to refute. The link clearly said that NYC was the most "culturaly" diverse city. I provided another link in the post for you to refute.
You haven't backed any of your statements when asked. Can you provide a link to back your statement that NYC isn't the city with the most culture?
You then wait hours between post in what apears to be an atempt to get the last word in even though you haven't provided any counter argument what so ever.

Since you seem very slow let me ask more directly and bolder my questions.

Do you have anything to back your argument???and can you refute mine??
Don't worry lamexican ItSaulBS cannot win this argument. He knows that NYC is the biggest city out of the US.

Maybe we should school him right? Ok here it goes.

If you go here City Populations – World City Population, Biggest Largest Cities in the World - Worldatlas.com you will find out that NYC is the 5 largest city of the world. It has a population of 16,626,000 Doesn't that tells you something? Now it is more, because Millions and Millions of people come to NYC everyday. So of course in NYC you will find many cultures.

Have you ever heard of Ellis Island? Many people that came to NYC had first to go to Ellis Island so that they can be verified that they can enter to NYC. Doesn't that tells you something as well?

You are neglecting the real fact. Statistic proves it. You are not refuting lamexican posts. That tells me something. That you cannot prove your point, and that you are making all up.

And please look at the New York percentage above... It speaks for itself.

Old 05-30-2009, 08:13 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,939,050 times
Quote:
The pictures are great. Mathematically I am confused. You said 2 miles (10,560ft = 2 X 5280ft). 10,560/100 (you are saying 100's) = 105.6ft. That doesn't sound like much of a neighborhood if it is only 105.6ft wide. You said "100's" which to me would mean at least 200 hundred which would make these neighborhoods 52.8 ft wide at the absolute most? I see the pictures and it is obviously very diverse (don't get me wrong). I am just wondering whether "100's" is perhaps an exaggeration?

Well, those 100s of ethnicities are within the entire #7 line. That goes for about 8 miles or so. My pictures are only within a proximity of 2 miles. The neighborhoods my pictures are from are around Jackson Heights, Woodside, and one is from Flushing. About a span of 2 miles.

Old 05-30-2009, 08:38 AM

3,003 posts, read 6,092,238 times
Quote:
What about Detroit, Philadelphia, Albuquerque, and Boston.

Please.
I was with you to you said this. I could see if you said los angeles or new orleans or something. But comparing detriot and new mexico to New York City, is laughable. Come on. You just want to argue

Old 05-30-2009, 09:33 AM

3,424 posts, read 5,975,456 times
Im not sure if we are discussing which city has the highest number of cultures...or which city has the most uniquely ingrained, recognized culture of its own...

At any rate, I think Boston definitely belongs on this list...It has both...Surprisingly, I found that it had its own unique culture as well as a confluence of other cultures, and international presences. Boston was far more diverse than I expected.

Houston has its own vibe too, but its more recognized as just a Texas vibe..but the thing that struck me about Houston is its diversity...Virtually any and every culture can be found in Houston in abundance. At my last job I worked with a couple of Russians (or wherever Estonia is), a Filipino, Nigerians, Mexicans, a Columbian, a Brazilian, Blacks, and whites.

I also think Honolulu should be on this list...Even though its not located on the mainland, it also has its own culture, as well as an astounding culmination of different individual cultures.

Old 05-30-2009, 10:29 AM

95 posts, read 301,081 times
No Boston?

Old 05-30-2009, 05:52 PM

1,179 posts, read 2,064,152 times
Yeah I think any big city has quite a bit of culture. If it's a big city then people move there from all over the place to get a job. Any big city has lots of diversity and culture. Yes Houston is very diverse. It's one of the most diverse cities in America. California, Texas and New York are the three most populated and diverse states in the country. Yes Hawaii is also very diverse. In Hawaii there are a lot of Japanese, Chinese, Filipino people in addition to the usual white and black people.

Old 05-30-2009, 06:14 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,899,273 times
I picked DC due to the density of the variety. I've often been somewhere in the metro area, from Potomac mills, to the Nat'l Mall, to NW, to rockville and been in a crowd where I was one of the few speaking english.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.