U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2016, 07:34 AM

12,448 posts, read 11,955,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by submart View Post
Anyone here live in a big city (i.e. population 300,000+) or just adjacent to it?
Pittsburgh's still a hair over 300,000 within city limits, so I guess it counts.

Quote:
1. What are some of the pros/cons?
Pros: I either take transit or bike to work. My new neighborhood is a lot less walkable than my old one, but I still can walk to two business districts in around 15 minutes.

Cons: I can't think of any, honestly. Nothing about the suburbs or rural areas is appealing to me.

Quote:
2. What made you decide to live in or right near the city?
I didn't like growing up in the suburbs at all. Part of this may have been because I didn't learn to drive until I was 19, so I was dependent on friends and parents to get around all the way through high school. Regardless I came to really dislike them, and was pretty certain I did not want to live in the suburbs by the time I was 22. Haven't changed my mind yet.

Quote:
3. Is it worth the less square footage for the location?
Our house is actually from 1905 and quite grand. It has six bedrooms, 2.5 baths, and is around 2,300 square feet. The total property is quite small however - 3,400 square feet, which works out to around 1/13th of an acre. The house is detached, but my neighbors on either side are only four feet away. Honestly I sometimes wish I had an even smaller back yard - I hate the upkeep of that patch of grass. I'd much rather just have a small brick patio in the back with some planters.

Quote:
4. Do you live in a condo, townhouse, or a single family home?
As intimated above, detached single family home.

Quote:
5. How long have you been living in the city?
In Pitsburgh? Over 11 years now. But before that I lived in DC and New Haven. Except for a few months when I lived at home, I've lived in cities since I've gotten out of graduate school, and I'm almost 37 now.

Quote:
6. Do you live alone, with partner, children, friends, roommates, etc?
I live with my wife and two children (ages six and two)

Quote:
7. Do you rent or own?
Own. This is our second house, which we've been in around a year and a half. Before we spent seven years living in a 12-foot wide rowhouse. It was getting really tough with two kids. I honestly preferred rowhouse living to detached single-family living, but we couldn't find an affordable larger rowhouse in any of the neighborhoods we were considering.

Quote:
8. Do you feel you made the right choice by living where you do?
Yes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2016, 08:14 AM

6,490 posts, read 16,176,041 times
I live in Jersey City, which is home to 265,000 people in 14 sq miles. We're a very urban area. Our whole county has 640,000 people in 47 sq miles, so the county is about the same size and population as the city of Boston. Also, we are adjacent to the city of New York, population 8.4 million.

1. What are some of the pros/cons? Pros: short commute, good restaurants, always something new to see or do, almost everything you need is in walking distance, trains, light rail, bike share, zip car all make living car-free very easy. Cons: noisy, expensive, traveling anywhere far takes some planning, expensive, I don't have my own garden (I just make do with containerized plants on the fire escape), and expensive.
2. What made you decide to live in or right near the city? I was attracted to the urban life, and I like the short commute
3. Is it worth the less square footage for the location? Yes. I'm single, so I don't need a ton of space.
4. Do you live in a condo, townhouse, or a single family home? Condo
5. How long have you been living in the city? 9 years
6. Do you live alone, with partner, children, friends, roommates, etc? Alone
7. Do you rent or own? Rent. Was saving up money to buy, but prices soared out of reach, so I'm renting until I figure out a longer term game plan.
8. Do you feel you made the right choice by living where you do? No question about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or