U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 08:29 AM

221 posts, read 147,429 times

Advertisements

Anyone here live in a big city (i.e. population 300,000+) or just adjacent to it?

1. What are some of the pros/cons?
2. What made you decide to live in or right near the city?
3. Is it worth the less square footage for the location?
4. Do you live in a condo, townhouse, or a single family home?
5. How long have you been living in the city?
6. Do you live alone, with partner, children, friends, roommates, etc?
7. Do you rent or own?
8. Do you feel you made the right choice by living where you do?

Thanks for playing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2016, 09:04 AM

24,839 posts, read 30,075,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by submart View Post
Anyone here live in a big city (i.e. population 300,000+) or just adjacent to it?

7. Do you rent or own?

Thanks for playing!
Depends on the city, of course. I don't consider 300K to be a large city.

1. pros - lots to do. sports, museums, festivals, concerts, recreation, etc. More job options.

cons - more traffic, more people

2. in my case, it was the location of the city and the availability of a job. What we have come to enjoy is the availability of activities, shopping, etc.

3. depends on your lifestyle. Some people like the simplicity of a smaller town. Some like the diversity of a larger city.

4. SFR

5. 9 years

6. family w/ kids

7. own

8. Yes

Old 04-10-2016, 11:46 AM

1,729 posts, read 3,138,587 times
Quote:

7. Do you rent or own?

Thanks for playing!
I live in a New Orleans inner suburb, about a mile outside the city line.

1.)

Pros:
  • city water and sewage. I am too much of a city girl to ever learn how to deal with a septic system or well. And I simply *MUST* have high speed internet. Oh I am such a city girl! I am even scared of cows. LOL
  • I live 1/2 block from a parade route! So the Mardi Gras parades that you may see on TV, are within walking distance for me. New Orleans food, architecture, and culture are legendary.
  • Also within walking distance are more than one major grocery store, dozens of restaurants, kmart/walmart/walgreens type of stores, a plethora of small businesses, and the biggest mall in the New Orleans metro area. The best hospital, doctors, and labs are clustered only a couple of miles away.
  • I drive everywhere I want, with no regard to mileage, and I also go on "pleasure drives" most days - - but still my car mileage has been under 4,000 miles/year. That's because everything a person could want is close by.
  • Interesting, often sophisticated and cosmopolitan, and sometimes highly educated neighbors.

Cons:
  • Crime. That's the elephant in the room, as the saying goes. Crime is absolutely awful in New Orleans. A lot of it is just random; murders, rapes, car hijackings, and assaults are frequently done "for fun" apparently. There's really no way to be completely safe from crime here although of course it helps to be careful and street wise.
  • Property taxes would be worse if I lived within the city limits, but being just outside I have very low property taxes.
  • Traffic actually is not bad because this is a small city (population about 378,000) rather than a large one. I do avoid the interstate during rush hour and just take the surface streets; they don't get crowded to the point of traffic jams, although people drive like lunatics.
2) I moved here for a job and wanted to live close to work. Now I am retired. After Katrina I thought about moving away (to Springfield, Missouri, hence my username). But I changed my mind and decided to stay.

3) I can afford all the square footage that I want. Right now I am in 1533 square feet, which is actually more than I need or want. Still, my house is next door to my dear boyfriend/companion and in a great location. Plus, it has the amenities I was hoping for, so I am happy with it.

4) Single family home

5) Twenty years.

6) Alone

7) Own

8) Yes, for me at this stage in life it is the right choice. If/when crime gets a lot worse, I'll reconsider.

Last edited by NOLA2SGF; 04-10-2016 at 12:00 PM..

Old 04-10-2016, 12:22 PM

3,431 posts, read 3,045,229 times
Quote:

7. Do you rent or own?

Thanks for playing!
Well, it truly depends upon the city. Ottawa's pop. is around 1.3 million, but it's a quiet city for its size.

1. Pros: amenities, like cultural diversity, museums, shopping, art galleries, parks and outdoor activities. Also decent employment and educational opportunities. Cons: traffic, the dull uniformity of some suburbs, and some pockets of poverty/crime.
2. I moved to the city for employment, and I live downtown to spare myself a long commute. I'm lucky I live in a central area that's fairly low traffic, and still close to restaurants, services, shopping and so on.
3. No, the value's doing fine. The population of the city is growing steadily so central real estate's doing well.
4. Condo.
5. 15 years.
6. Alone.
7. Own. Well, I'm paying the mortgage. :roll eyes:
8. Oh yes. Amazed with how much construction there is everywhere downtown, but I'm happy/lucky with my choice.

Old 04-10-2016, 02:03 PM

21,164 posts, read 11,768,218 times
Quote:

7. Do you rent or own?

Thanks for playing!
1. pros: more job opportunity, way more fun/interesting things to do from professional sports to museums, music of all types, restaurants and on and on

cons: more traffic, more crowds, often higher taxes

2. never wanted to live too far away from fun things and my job. I hate the idea of a long commute.

3. absolutely. I could have twice as much sq ft for what I paid, but then my commute would be 3 times as long. Saving that time means way more to me than more space than we need

4. 1/2 of a side by side duplex, a very common style in my location

5. Almost 10 years in Denver, almost 25 years before that in Boston

6. with my middle school aged kid

7. Own

8. Absolutely. I live in a planned urban community, with a great community spirit. We are part of the city school district, but due to parental involvement, we have the best schools in the city. I'm 15 minutes from work and about 15-20 minutes to pretty much everything in the city of Denver, while still living in a residential neighborhood. Best of both worlds!

Old 04-10-2016, 04:49 PM

18,083 posts, read 22,934,448 times
I moved away from a big city area and am working to get back. I live somewhere peaceful and beautiful. But, there's not enough to do and although healthcare is decent, I can't get in to see a dentist in the boonies that accepts my Denti-Cal insurance.

So, pros for the city: More to do, better transportation, better health/dental care.

I like living where there are lots of classes to take. Where there are actual rec department catalogues and community center catalogues and senior centers with more to do than ball room dancing (gag) and bingo (gag).

Where I used to live (SF Bay Area), there were lots of day bus trips for seniors where you didn't need to find a friend to go with you, or be a couple. They go to museums, for hikes by the beach, to shows and games.

Cons: Traffic, cost of housing. Crowded parks and beaches.

As far as traffic, if you can make your main world one small area, it's not bad at all. Live close to your job, if you have one. If not, live in an area where you can drive to everything you normally need, within just a few miles.

It's also nice if you can take decent public transportation if you want to go farther to visit someone, etc., and not have to deal with stop and go traffic for hours. Like in the SF Bay Area, I can take an Amtrak train all the way from San Jose to Sacramento, and it's a really pleasant trip with free wi-fi and even a bar :-)

I've decided I'd rather live in a densely populated area, and travel to the boonies when I need a retreat. Living in a retreat is boring. And the nearest dentist that takes my insurance is a 5 hour drive away. It's really nice to go for a walk on the beach or in the woods with my dog off-leash, and not see another soul, or just a few souls. I'll miss that part.

Old 04-10-2016, 08:52 PM

3,342 posts, read 3,045,294 times
Quote:

7. Do you rent or own?

Thanks for playing!
1. Pro: What everyone else said - stuff to do, culture, sports, airport, shopping, A greater chance of more highly educated, similar thinking people.

Con: None

2. I live right in the urban core. No way would I ever live in the suburbs.

3. Huh? I have 3,100 sq ft.

4. Townhouse

5. This city - nearly 4 years. San Francisco x 19 years before that.

7. Own

8. Within this city? Yes. Moving here from SF? No.

Old 04-12-2016, 07:09 AM

3,573 posts, read 1,519,707 times
I live in a suburb 25 west of Charlotte. The city of Charlotte has about 850k residents.

1. What are some of the pros/cons? Pros: Lots of recreational assets, good paying jobs, restaurants/museums etc., great airport. Cons: Traffic.

2. What made you decide to live in or right near the city? I've lived here all of my life.

3. Is it worth the less square footage for the location? We have great square footage (2500). Have no complaints.

4. Do you live in a condo, townhouse, or a single family home? Single family home.

5. How long have you been living in the city? I've lived just outside of Charlotte my whole life, 50 years.

6. Do you live alone, with partner, children, friends, roommates, etc? My wife, our middle son (23) who's in a temporarily transitioning phase right now, and 1 dog/1 cat. Our other three kids; daughter lives nearby, one son in the Marines (Beaufort, SC), and one son in the Army (Fayetteville, NC). Nice to have them stationed not too far from home.

7. Do you rent or own? Own.

8. Do you feel you made the right choice by living where you do? Yes.

Old 04-14-2016, 06:57 AM

44,710 posts, read 36,132,256 times
I honestly feel like we have the best of all worlds by living an hour and a half from the Dallas/Fort Worth area. Close but not too close. I like having the amenities of a big city fairly close at hand, but meanwhile, we live in a small city - metro area of about 225k. Perfect. Between our home and Dallas is beautiful, rural countryside. We enjoy a low crime rate and we can afford more house and property for the buck - and more privacy.

But whenever we want, we can drive just an hour and a half (max) to the west and enjoy the museums, live concerts, etc. that a big metro area offers. Meanwhile, we don't need to drive to Dallas for shopping, eating out, or medical facilities because our metro area of 225K offers great options.

Old 04-14-2016, 07:14 AM

3,144 posts, read 2,825,934 times

pros - opportunity and attractions. cons - violence, crime, taxes, high col, traffic, dirty, lack of parking, welfare/union mentality, and keeping up with the joneses mentality.
job and lifestyle
no
7. Do you rent or own?
have done both
no. smaller cities and college towns offer the same amenities and attractions (or access to attractions) at a lower price and without the big city problems. I go out of town almost every weekend when the weather permits.

Thanks for playing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or