U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2016, 07:55 PM

1,532 posts, read 708,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Do you ever go into Cincinnati, which isn't too far away?
Once in a while; Cincinnati is great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I didn't think it was that big of a school.
But yeah, a small town would be quieter but I can't imagine it being better because of it. Especially being bi.
I was being mildly hyperbolic, enlivened by the fact that I profoundly detest drinking/bro culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2016, 09:01 PM

3,280 posts, read 3,833,298 times
The towns have a lot of pride towards the school, lot of people work there too. Usually there are more residential areas and more rental/student areas.

Old 04-26-2016, 08:57 AM

86,996 posts, read 102,581,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
The towns have a lot of pride towards the school, lot of people work there too. Usually there are more residential areas and more rental/student areas.
In both Boulder and Champaign, students live all over town. The undergrads do tend to live closer to campus, but not exclusively.

Old 04-30-2016, 10:10 PM

7,583 posts, read 4,001,460 times
I used to think Austin was a smallish city because it always gets lumped in with Charlottesville and Chapel Hill by people. After looking at it on google maps street view, I'm surprised anybody who lkes Cville or CH would like Austin and vice versa. Completely opposite.

Old 04-30-2016, 10:17 PM

7,583 posts, read 4,001,460 times
Chapel Hill and Clemson aren't as different as some people make it out to be. They are both about 30 miles from the largest city downtown near it. Clemson is included in the the Greenville MSA, the most populated MSA in the state of SC.

Old 05-01-2016, 01:11 AM

6,559 posts, read 13,754,979 times
it is boring! I have lived in two small college towns and would never go back!

Old 05-01-2016, 01:14 AM

6,559 posts, read 13,754,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
Once in a while; Cincinnati is great.

I was being mildly hyperbolic, enlivened by the fact that I profoundly detest drinking/bro culture.
You picked one of the worst colleges for the bro culture! Miami Oh is known for that.

You need to check out Cincinnati and also Louisville more. I think Louisville and its hipster, artsy, eclectic vibe would be to your liking.

Old 05-17-2016, 05:35 PM

1,495 posts, read 1,517,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bees46 View Post
I love living in a college town, but I chose one that has a lot going on aside from the university. And we don't live close enough to campus to be annoyed by partying students. I can only think of pros: culture, more restaurants, the progressive politics, the youthful energy. My kids have gone to summer camps at the university, we've found tutors and music teachers and babysitters there, too. We meet interesting people from all over. I guess a con could be traffic on game days, but that isn't a big problem.
I agree with the notion of feeling left out in a college town if you didnt attend the college there or have some type of connection. I lived in Columbia SC for about two years after I graduated and its far from what I would call a college town but the Univ. of SC is right in the heart of downtown where I lived and even there I felt a little that way. On the other hand I moved to Clemson which is literally built around the college but I love it because i'm a grad student, been a Tiger Fan my whole life, and all of my family went here.

I think this really plays a big role in if you will like it or not. The only other thing I would be concerned with is where you live. I would hate to end up being Seth Rogan in Neighbors!!

Old 05-17-2016, 08:54 PM

2,200 posts, read 2,319,826 times
I lived in 2 college towns:

Lawrence, Kansas which is idyllic, and Eugene, OR, which I despised. Both are quintessential college towns, though. Not sure I would ever move back to a college town, but I certainly understand both the potential for a kind of perfect blend of small-town life and edgy youth culture, and the potential for a a perfect storm of utter lack of perspective, vapid self-righteousness and cloying youth culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or