Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2016, 09:08 AM

2,625 posts, read 4,009,330 times

Advertisements

https://tedsummaries.com/2014/05/18/...walkable-city/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2016, 10:37 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,517,434 times
Has nothing to do with Charleston.....

Old 04-15-2016, 10:54 AM

3,591 posts, read 4,353,565 times
Seems to miss the point that many families want a neighborhood with homes with yards that kids can go out and play. Not having to schedule time to go to the park.

This means those homes that meet that criteria closer to town are very expensive so they move farther and farther out to reduce cost.

If you're happy living in condo style homes then this makes a lot of sense. So for young single and newly married people this works. For many families... not so much.

Old 04-15-2016, 10:56 AM

1,669 posts, read 2,243,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post

Can you honestly not find the relevance in a discussion on urban sprawl on a forum that represents one of the fastest growing metro areas in the country? Or were you just looking to be snarky toward Mac as usual?

Old 04-15-2016, 11:05 AM

624 posts, read 692,583 times
Quote:
Perhaps not, but Summerville for sure.

Old 04-15-2016, 11:07 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,517,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardspock View Post
Can you honestly not find the relevance in a discussion on urban sprawl on a forum that represents one of the fastest growing metro areas in the country? Or were you just looking to be snarky toward Mac as usual?

This forum is about the greater Charleston area, not walkable communities. There are other forums for that. I didn't make the rules for CD, take that up with them.

I have no reason to be snarky towards mac, if you feel like that perhaps check yo'self before running off at others. You seem to like to do that...here's hoping you have some happiness this weekend.

Old 04-15-2016, 11:10 AM

1,669 posts, read 2,243,667 times
Quote:
This forum is about the greater Charleston area, not walkable communities. There are other forums for that. I didn't make the rules for CD, take that up with them.

I have no reason to be snarky towards mac, if you feel like that perhaps check yo'self before running off at others. You seem to like to do that...herr's hoping you have some happiness this weekend.
Well, there are plenty of walkable communities within the Charleston metro. Just because it doesn't apply to your neighborhood isn't a reason for you to try stopping a valid discussion from taking place. Feel free to not click the thread if you have nothing to add in the future.

Old 04-15-2016, 11:22 AM

2,625 posts, read 4,009,330 times
There's been a great deal of discussion about density & growth in this area as well as biking & walkability. There are also frequent posts from people wanting to move here & live where they can walk to bars, restaurants, etc. & posts from people who live in Mt Pleasant who suggest it become self sufficient as a working community with more high paying office jobs so people don't have to commute out of town.

So yes, I thought it was relevant to bring up as its a well-done talk from a highly respected planner.

Just one person's opinion & food for thought.

Old 04-15-2016, 11:36 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,946,692 times
Quote:

I have no reason to be snarky towards mac, if you feel like that perhaps check yo'self before running off at others. You seem to like to do that...here's hoping you have some happiness this weekend.
It's completely relevant. Density can sprawl is the theme of pretty much every other thread here.

Old 04-15-2016, 11:44 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,946,692 times
I agree overall with his concept, but I don't really find it realistic for most people to actually commute to work on foot or bike.
For one, it's pretty rare to find a salary that matches the surrounding neighborhood. An engineer at factory may not to want to live in a neighborhood walking distance to the factory and can afford something much nicer driving distance away. A bartender at a bar on King Street won't be able to afford to live downtown.

Realistically, I don't see people commuting by bike here at all. Even in downtown Charleston and Daniel Island. Daniel Island is walkable, but it seems most travel by golf cart or car. Our weather is a mixed bag. It does get cold in the winter (cold enough to make a bike commute miserable anyway), it rains, it gets really hot. I love riding bikes, but I can't imagine actually commuting in one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.