U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is the east coast sounding more "west coast" these days?
Yes 10 66.67%
No 5 33.33%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2016, 03:54 PM

17 posts, read 10,495 times

Advertisements

Much has been said about the Southern accent being eclipsed by the influence of Hollywood movies, regardless of how true it is. Is the same the case on the east coast? Do young people on the East Coast under 30 or 40 increasingly sound more like they're from San Diego or Denver than from Boston or Brooklyn? That is they sound like they have no accent at all aside from a television broadcaster accent?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2016, 04:19 PM

9,701 posts, read 7,262,937 times
Yes.

The funny thing is that I don't hear much of a Brooklyn accent in Brooklyn. I hear lots of accents, but they tend to be Midwest, Russian, Jamaican, Mexican, etc. But very little of the Rosie Perez, Vinnie from Brooklyn type stereotype.

Brooklyn tends to be heavily newcomers (hipsters, yuppies) and immigrants, so it isn't surprising they don't speak like 80-year-old Brooklyn-born folks, who are as likely to be in Boca Raton or North Carolina as in Brooklyn.

Want a classic Fran Drescher-style New Yawk accent? Go to Florida, North Carolina or Pennsylvania. Sounds weird, but increasingly true. Look for elderly Jews and Italians who were born in NYC, and you'll probably hear it, regardless of location.

The accent seems to be hanging on more on Long Island and Staten Island, and I assume it's because those areas have proportionally fewer of the U.S. transplants (hipster/yuppie crowd) and fewer immigrants.

Old 04-15-2016, 04:36 PM

1,233 posts, read 976,956 times
It depends on where they're from. People from Chappaqua NY or Wellesley MA generally aren't going to have an accent. Young adults from LI or other more ancestral areas of the east coast can still have accents but usually to a lesser extent than the older generation.

I think this next generation will lose it for the most part. I'm only in my mid 20s but when I was a kid kids watched cartoons in the morning but we played or at least socialized with each other most of the day. Now 10 year olds have Facebook and will watch Youtube all day so they're getting nonstop exposure to outside accents.

Last edited by joeyg2014; 04-15-2016 at 05:14 PM..

Old 04-15-2016, 05:15 PM

7,738 posts, read 4,581,276 times
Most East Coast dialects are actually white, working-class East Coast dialects. White flight saw the majority of those cities' white working-class leave, now gentrification is finishing the job.

Old 04-15-2016, 06:46 PM

6,489 posts, read 16,171,370 times
I would answer yes to the thread title question but no to the poll question.

Old 04-15-2016, 06:55 PM

4,634 posts, read 2,787,987 times
I saw something interesting that said the old timey television Mid Atlantic dialect is basically gone. They use to teach children to speak like this in private schools

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mid-Atlantic_accent

Old 04-15-2016, 07:26 PM

15,534 posts, read 17,764,884 times
Topic Question:

Qualified Yes. I find that younger people from New York City (who are not transplants or children of transplants) are starting to have a more Westchester/lower Hudson Valley accent which definitely has the hallmarks of the old accents but not as enunciated. I recognize it in a crowd of babble, but an outsider might not notice it because it is less distinct than the recognizable stereotypical exagerated forms of the accents.

Poll Question: Definitely not. Although southern California has long had an influence on American dialect, it's accents are distinct from (if closer to) the General American accent that seems to have sway on America's traditional range of accents.

tl;dr, coastal accents, east and west, are largely intact, but slowly moving towards the middle.

Old 04-15-2016, 07:52 PM

12,443 posts, read 11,944,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Most East Coast dialects are actually white, working-class East Coast dialects. White flight saw the majority of those cities' white working-class leave, now gentrification is finishing the job.
It's true that the dialects have been sociolects for at least two generations now. That said, I don't know if they're dying out - I think they're alive and well, for the most part, in the suburbs.

I just noticed the poll question. I dunno why people from the west coast always think they speak standard American. Western accents are mild overall, but standard American "newscaster English" is closest to an Iowa accent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.