U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 04:29 PM

3,786 posts, read 3,009,395 times

Advertisements

That's kind of a difficult method by which to judge a city (though I assume that this was meant to be a joke from the beginning). How does CFB factor in? Because my many indices, it is the 2nd most popular sport in America. I tend to consider having a Power 5 school nearby (or at least competitive D1) to be almost as good as, if not better as having pro sports around, because, the games tend to be more affordable, and it adds more sports to follow. Raleigh, NC is exceptionally blessed in this regard as it has Duke, UNC and NC State, so the likelihood is high that at least one of those 3 will be in the Top 15/A Contender in those sports in any given year, and even if there is only 1 team around, that's 10 months of the year where games that are pretty entertaining are happening. Just my thought. Obviously, I understand College Towns aren't really cities by many metrics, however, a good number of them have a population of less than 100K yet offerings greater than cities that are 10x their size. I couldn't imagine not living within an hour of at least ONE semi competitive sports team (and I'm not overly picky, I'll even throw College Hockey into the mix).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2016, 07:39 PM

9,385 posts, read 9,548,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
That's kind of a difficult method by which to judge a city (though I assume that this was meant to be a joke from the beginning). How does CFB factor in? Because my many indices, it is the 2nd most popular sport in America. I tend to consider having a Power 5 school nearby (or at least competitive D1) to be almost as good as, if not better as having pro sports around, because, the games tend to be more affordable, and it adds more sports to follow. Raleigh, NC is exceptionally blessed in this regard as it has Duke, UNC and NC State, so the likelihood is high that at least one of those 3 will be in the Top 15/A Contender in those sports in any given year, and even if there is only 1 team around, that's 10 months of the year where games that are pretty entertaining are happening. Just my thought. Obviously, I understand College Towns aren't really cities by many metrics, however, a good number of them have a population of less than 100K yet offerings greater than cities that are 10x their size. I couldn't imagine not living within an hour of at least ONE semi competitive sports team (and I'm not overly picky, I'll even throw College Hockey into the mix).
The presence of a large college is the primary reason that Austin lacks a pro franchise. UT sucks up so much disposable income, media attention, and cultural space that it would be hard for a pro-team to break through.
That is seen in the Columbus Blue Jackets (and the Carolina Hurricanes) struggle to really make an imprint in the city because of college Football/Basketball/Hockey suck all the oxygen up in the room.
On the flip side, outside of college hockey, Boston's DI athletics live under the shadow of Boston's Pro sports.

Old 05-03-2016, 07:51 PM

1,534 posts, read 1,498,912 times
Prospective owners in Detroit held a press conference on Wednesday unveiling their plans for an MLS expansion club and brand new soccer stadium for the city.

Kick Off: Plans revealed for new Detroit soccer stadium | MLS midweek recap | MLSsoccer.com

5 Sports team plus the Wolverines and Spartans....

Old 05-03-2016, 08:12 PM

1,446 posts, read 2,290,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ropper111 View Post
Why is that necessary for city to have 4 major sports to be considered a legitimate as a city? I mean really since when did this become a factor so important? And why 4 and not 10? And if a city has 2 it's as if it's not measuring up.
I disagree with the premise of the thread. The vast majority of people would not say that a city has to have 4 major sports teams to be legitimate. Cities such as Houston, Atlanta, and Seattle don't have four, and most people would consider them "legitimate".

Most people consider sports teams to be an asset to a city, but not a "necessary" factor, especially not a need for all four. Sports teams are one factor among several most people would consider but they come after a handful of other metrics (population, economic output, corporate base, tourist attractions, arguably history, etc).

I do think leadership and citizens in some smaller cities sometimes think of having a sports team (or teams) as a status symbol, so getting that first one or two is considered a step up in prestige, but in general I think once a city has two it isn't that big of a deal to get another one, and certainly once a place has three. For instance, Tampa Bay, Cleveland and Pittsburgh aren't more legitimate than Seattle, even though they all have three and Seattle only has two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or