U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2016, 09:08 PM

2 posts, read 1,173 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are looking to relocate next year and feel the lakefront lifestyle appeals to us. What has surprised us is that there aren't many options that meet our needs, so I'm reaching out here to see if there are good locations we've missed.

Our Wants:
- Eastern US, south of Indianapolis (where we live), and North of Atlanta
- A major city within commuting (under 45min) range. Lets say over 500k metro in defining "major".
- A developed lake with docks on the properties, not just living near the lake. We want the lake to have a social scene.
- I'd really prefer homesites not be on steep cliffs.
- PWC allowed on the lake
- A decent sized lake. Vague I know.
- Homes under $1.5m available
- Stable lake levels. Not a reservoir that drops 10ft in July.

Right now we have only two lakes that seem to fit. Can you help broaden the search?

1) Lake Norman - Charlotte
2) Old Hickory Lake - Nashville
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2016, 04:59 PM

3,597 posts, read 1,533,669 times
I would recommend Lake Wylie in Charlotte as well. If you have to commute into Charlotte, it's much easier from Lake Wylie as compared to Lake Norman. The towns around LM are nice, but traffic is pretty bad most of the time.

Old 04-19-2016, 05:04 PM

3,145 posts, read 2,829,566 times
Lake Norman is a mess with boat traffic. What about something in Tennessee or Missouri?

Old 04-19-2016, 05:12 PM

1,099 posts, read 1,125,427 times
Hampton Roads. The Lynnhaven River/Bay is a lake-like estuary that dumps into the Chesapeake Bay.

Old 04-19-2016, 07:35 PM

275 posts, read 236,457 times
Lake Chickamauga - Chattanooga
Lake Lanier - Atlanta
Fort Loudoun Lake - Knoxville

Old 04-19-2016, 09:25 PM

2 posts, read 1,173 times
Wow, great suggestions!

march: I'm in dentistry, so I can set up shop where the commute into the city wouldn't be an issue. The proximity to town was primarily for access to events/culture. I probably should have clarified that.

bluecarebear: I've heard Norman is busy. I think to some extent I enjoy the buzz of activity. I'm the type to goes to the mall at xmas for the crowds. I've always lived near the action and would probably be a little uncomfortable if things were quiet.

Pyroninja: I was unaware of that area. Does it flood? Do people boat in the estuary or out on the Chesapeake?

Buffalohome: Great suggestions! I was only aware of Lanier. I heard it was busy much like Norman. Can you compare any of these in terms of lifestyle/social/shopping? Thanks for the input!

Old 04-20-2016, 10:42 AM

3,597 posts, read 1,533,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrodGood View Post
Wow, great suggestions!

march: I'm in dentistry, so I can set up shop where the commute into the city wouldn't be an issue. The proximity to town was primarily for access to events/culture. I probably should have clarified that.

bluecarebear: I've heard Norman is busy. I think to some extent I enjoy the buzz of activity. I'm the type to goes to the mall at xmas for the crowds. I've always lived near the action and would probably be a little uncomfortable if things were quiet.

Pyroninja: I was unaware of that area. Does it flood? Do people boat in the estuary or out on the Chesapeake?

Buffalohome: Great suggestions! I was only aware of Lanier. I heard it was busy much like Norman. Can you compare any of these in terms of lifestyle/social/shopping? Thanks for the input!
Hey, no worries. If you don't have to commute into Charlotte on a daily bases from Lake Norman, that makes it a much better situation in terms of traffic. Even non-rush hour times have I-77 backed up a lot of times. But you might be able to see patterns and plan accordingly when you want to head into the city for entertainment purposes. Good luck wherever you land

Old 04-20-2016, 11:41 AM

1,099 posts, read 1,125,427 times
Quote:

During big storms or hurricanes (we don't get hurricanes that often, by the way. The last big hurricane we had was 13 years ago), it's possible that it might flood during a storm surge. But people do a lot of boating in that area.

Here's it from google maps:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/36...!3m1!1s0x0:0x0

Here's it from Street view (taken at Low Tide):

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.9074...7i13312!8i6656

Old 04-20-2016, 06:31 PM

3,145 posts, read 2,829,566 times
Quote:
Wow, great suggestions!

Well, that isn't exactly what I meant. The lake traffic makes it difficult to boat or use a pwc on Lake Norman. The lake feels a lot smaller than it is. If I am going to boat, then I am going to boat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.