Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2016, 09:41 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,420,268 times

Advertisements

Asheville, NC is a good option and relatively affordable. Might want to check with UNC-Asheville or Warren Wilson College and see if your line of work is available there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2016, 11:41 AM

15,952 posts, read 20,911,244 times
I grew up on Lake MI, think Holland, Grand Haven. Where I live now in northeast TN comes closer to MI in terms of summer type weather than any other place I've been. It also has the woods and water you're looking for (not much in the way of sand beaches though). The mountains are an added bonus
Summers are more humid, but bearable and the worst of it does not last very long, maybe a few weeks in August. Winters are relatively short and mild with usually just a little bit of snow here and there. Spring and fall are great and last longer than just a week or two. I can be outside comfortably for a good 9 months of the year.
Look into the Johnson City area, it's not far from Asheville NC with similar terrain and weather. Don't know about the job, but they have a small university and the healthcare industry is big, so I guess it would be worth looking into.

Old 04-18-2016, 09:36 PM

8,591 posts, read 14,752,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Denver
In the OP's case I'm gonna say no. OP wants forest & greenery (and, ostensibly, humidity).

Old 04-18-2016, 10:24 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,373,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by junosma17 View Post
I live/grew up in Michigan, where I will be for the next couple years to complete my degree and I LOVE our summers. To put it simply, being outside in the woods or on the beach in a MI summer makes me the happiest creature on earth. That being said, they are short lived and I dread the rest of our seasons. They put me into a literal depression (I for sure having something mentally seasonal but I've never been seen about it)

I'd really like to live in a place with scenery and weather as wonderful as a Michigan summer, but where it last most of the year, or at least where the winters aren't so miserable. The outdoors is a HUGE part of my life- I work at summer camps each year, I garden, bike trails ect- and I really won't be content somewhere where I'm confined indoors all year round. It's at the top of my priority list above job, cost of living, ect (though, those are still factors of course)

I like 70-80 degrees best
I don't mind tons of rain as long as there is an equal amount of sunshine
Green, green GREEN!
Lots and lots of trails
and I love all kinds of water! (river, lake especially ocean)
Light snow part of the year is okay but I'd like it minimal. I like falls- it's not that I don't like seasons, I would like to still have them. I just don't want them to be so extreme!

Other factors that do matter
I am a more left leaning. I am gay and on top of that, I'm studying to become a sex researcher. So I need an open minded community. (Not an ultra liberal though- my friends all say Portland is my place, but that seems pretty left for me)
The kind of city with farmers markets and where even regular folk raise chickens.

I won't be able to officially move for a couple of years, but twice a year I can take a road trip to wherever I please and I'd like to start exploring possible future homes!
OP,

You haven't posted again. Many have given you suggestions.

I feel you avoided your main question in your title and mostly in your discussion. Of course, I could be wrong, but only you would know.

I think a more honest title would be your list of cities, which have either a university or private facility where you could work, are located. Then ask about the weather, scenery etc.

It doesn't matter where you travel while still a student, you aren't licensed to work in sex research. I understand it is a good time to check some cities out. Again, where is your list of what universities or private business will consider your CV when you finish training and can apply for a job. How many applicants apply for each research job?

I agree with you. It's silly to think you could get a job in Portland, unless you've done a multi-university project with an Oregon University and someone knows you.

BTW, what type of sex research would you like to do, if you can find a funded position? Or do you have independent funding? If you have an R01 or other funding, doors may open for you in many locations.

Looking forward to your answers. I learned a lot in my sex therapy classes and wonder what you will be contributing and for what professionals.

MSR

Old 05-22-2016, 02:43 PM

2 posts, read 2,017 times
Thank you all for the suggestions, sorry I took so long to reply. I appreciate each response.

TN was suggested and that has been at the top of my list, I lived their very briefly years ago and I loved it. I lived about 30 minutes outside of Nashville. I was a kid though, so I didn't explore much.

While sex research is my dream, and as of now, it's what I plan on, it's always very limiting. My second career option would be school counseling.

@Mt States Resident,

The niche I'd want to study in sex research is very small and still considered taboo and underground. I don't think this site would allow me to give more details than that, but I do think that I would have a lot to offer to the field given that this niche has very little, basically no, focus put on it. At least I hope I'd have something to offer. I know personally, I'd like to see a change and could dedicate my life to facilitating it (:

Old 05-22-2016, 09:42 PM

185 posts, read 172,806 times
Upstate New York

Thick green forest , mountains , rolling hills , cliffs and rivers in every direction

Old 05-23-2016, 08:20 PM

6,333 posts, read 11,491,519 times
If your specialty is too taboo for city data you should rule out being a school counselor. School boards can be pretty conservative, especially in the SE.

My advice is to get a trade certification such as computers, auto shop, welding, etc. Something that can help you with college expenses and be a fallback career if need be.

Old 05-23-2016, 09:21 PM

473 posts, read 516,446 times
I'm surprised no one mentioned California! Many universities in VHCOL areas will even offer subsidized/faculty housing, which eliminates one of the biggest barriers to moving here. Either way, it's a big state with lots of different price ranges. We practically live outdoors and we embrace alternative lifestyles. Some areas are a bit less green these days thanks to the drought but the bright sun and year-round blooming flowers sure as heck beat the gray overcast Midwest winters.

Old 05-26-2016, 05:28 PM

827 posts, read 681,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by junosma17 View Post
I live/grew up in Michigan, where I will be for the next couple years to complete my degree and I LOVE our summers. To put it simply, being outside in the woods or on the beach in a MI summer makes me the happiest creature on earth. That being said, they are short lived and I dread the rest of our seasons. They put me into a literal depression (I for sure having something mentally seasonal but I've never been seen about it)

I'd really like to live in a place with scenery and weather as wonderful as a Michigan summer, but where it last most of the year, or at least where the winters aren't so miserable. The outdoors is a HUGE part of my life- I work at summer camps each year, I garden, bike trails ect- and I really won't be content somewhere where I'm confined indoors all year round. It's at the top of my priority list above job, cost of living, ect (though, those are still factors of course)

I like 70-80 degrees best
I don't mind tons of rain as long as there is an equal amount of sunshine
Green, green GREEN!
Lots and lots of trails
and I love all kinds of water! (river, lake especially ocean)
Light snow part of the year is okay but I'd like it minimal. I like falls- it's not that I don't like seasons, I would like to still have them. I just don't want them to be so extreme!

Other factors that do matter
I am a more left leaning. I am gay and on top of that, I'm studying to become a sex researcher. So I need an open minded community. (Not an ultra liberal though- my friends all say Portland is my place, but that seems pretty left for me)
The kind of city with farmers markets and where even regular folk raise chickens.

I won't be able to officially move for a couple of years, but twice a year I can take a road trip to wherever I please and I'd like to start exploring possible future homes!
California is probably the best fit based on your criteria. Try Santa Cruz/San Francisco Bay/Marin County. If you are a gay dude whose sexual interest is too taboo for city-data.com then Castro district in San Francisco might be your place...

Old 05-26-2016, 05:54 PM

5,005 posts, read 5,589,370 times
Depends on what COL is. Eugene, OR might be a good fit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.