U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2016, 04:02 PM

172 posts, read 140,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
Have you considered some southern areas like Wilmington NC, Charleston SC, St. Augustine FL, or Tampa/St. Petersburg FL? These are good areas that are affordable, awesome beaches, great water activities/nature, and warm weather. I didn't see it in your OP and wasn't sure.

My in-laws live on Cape Cod. While very beautiful and we love visiting, it's expensive and the winters are rough. Good luck wherever you land!
Not interested in the South and definitely not interested in FL...too hot, bugs, alligators. But Thank you for the suggestion!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2016, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
Have you considered some southern areas like Wilmington NC, Charleston SC, St. Augustine FL, or Tampa/St. Petersburg FL? These are good areas that are affordable, awesome beaches, great water activities/nature, and warm weather. I didn't see it in your OP and wasn't sure.

My in-laws live on Cape Cod. While very beautiful and we love visiting, it's expensive and the winters are rough. Good luck wherever you land!
Winters can't be rougher than here in Chicago!

Old 04-21-2016, 04:16 PM

3,599 posts, read 1,527,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaTea View Post
Not interested in the South and definitely not interested in FL...too hot, bugs, alligators. But Thank you for the suggestion!
No problem. I definitely understand. Personally, I love the heat. I have never had an issue with a gator. But I'm with you on the bugs along the coast. They really love me, lol. But I love living here, nonetheless. Good luck wherever you land.........Just thinking; is the Virginia Beach, VA area too far South for you? It's a great area as well. Just a thought

Old 04-21-2016, 04:25 PM

55 posts, read 78,558 times
Thought I’d offer a couple of ideas because I’m in Chicago now (10 years and counting) and grew up and went to school in Upstate NY / WNY, and know New England pretty well. And winter.

If the Chicago winters bother you, you don’t want any part of Upstate or WNY. The climate around Lake Placid and Lake Champlain is a little milder but the towns are smaller. They're insanely beautiful though. You might also check out Corning or Ithaca in the southern tier.

Look at the Hudson River Valley. Above Albany, Glens Falls is affordable and Saratoga Springs is a true gem with great value on the east side. Below Albany, Hudson is expensive but worth it, and Cold Spring would be a contender if you need to get into NYC regularly. Not sure about the current prices.

In MA you might feel good about Fall River or New Bedford. If you don’t need big water, look west: Stockbridge and Lenox off Route 7 or Amherst, Hadley, and Northampton in the Pioneer Valley.

In VT and NH you have the weather factor. Brattleboro VT might be OK, because it’s south and on the Connecticut River, but I don’t know for sure. Nashua and Manchester maybe, I know people who live there and commute to Boston, but the winters are long and grey.

New for your list: the NJ coast, between Middletown and Atlantic City. Good weather, lots of small towns, cheaper than the MA or CT coasts, amazing sunsets.

Last edited by jason.; 04-21-2016 at 04:28 PM.. Reason: I made NJ sound bad but it isn't. Sorry, NJ!

Old 04-21-2016, 05:19 PM

OK, so maybe not Vermont or New Hampshire. That leaves CT, Maine, MA. I think the winters, though cold, might be offset somewhat by the coast and the beauty of the landscapes.

Also, not interested in NY state or NJ.

I was also looking at Delaware but some say it's too humid. It does seem affordable, though.

Last edited by CuppaTea; 04-21-2016 at 05:47 PM..

Old 04-21-2016, 06:12 PM

55 posts, read 78,558 times
Quote:
OK, so maybe not Vermont or New Hampshire. That leaves CT, Maine, MA. I think the winters, though cold, might be offset somewhat by the coast and the beauty of the landscapes.

Also, not interested in NY state or NJ.

I was also looking at Delaware but some say it's too humid. It does seem affordable, though.
Yeah, I guess it depends on how much cold and precipitation you can live with.

Are there specific reasons why NY and NJ are out, but New England is OK? Are you only looking at lifestyle criteria, or do business criteria come in also?

Old 04-21-2016, 11:36 PM

270 posts, read 223,953 times
Out of curiosity, what didn't appeal to you about the Pacific Northwest? If you hadn't mentioned already having ruled it out, I would've thought you a good fit for some of the Portland suburbs.

Old 04-22-2016, 02:35 PM

259 posts, read 768,731 times
I'd second Northampton, MA and the Pioneer Valley - more affordable than eastern (and coastal) MA. Its also a vibrant artsy town. It has a river, but is about a 2 hour trip to the coast. There are no lively towns in CT except maybe West Hartford and Middletown.

Old 04-23-2016, 09:13 PM

226 posts, read 167,573 times
Rhode Island? It's beautiful near the coast, and small so you are close to everything. I love RI.

Old 04-24-2016, 09:33 AM

10,287 posts, read 4,865,859 times
Quote:
Looking for more ideas please....
I've sort of narrowed it down, albeit to states and a few towns, to:

Maine
New Hampshire
Connecticut - perhaps Guilford or thereabouts
Mass- Cape Cod or another coastal place

I really need a picturesque place with clean air, probably near water.

I would also choose the mildest weather location.

Didn't you say in your original post that you hated the winters in Chicago? How is Maine or New Hampshire going to fit into your ideal of milder winters? Right now at 11:30 a.m. EST it is 48 degrees in Portland, Maine with the high expected to be 54 and it won't get out of the 50's for the next week. Considering it's almost the end of April I want temps at least in the mid 60's. But my family moved to FL when I was quite young so my idea of cold may not be the same as yours.

I loved Long Island but the COL is very expensive unless you go way out on the island. I've been to New Hope and it was a quaint beautiful town until Newsday (the Long Island paper) raved about it and people started flocking there. I've heard from people there that is not the same which happens once the word gets out. As for other parts of PA, we honeymooned in the Poconos and it was still cold in May which was not for me. We looked at a lot of different cities in PA when we lived in NY because we wanted that small town feel but we wound up moving back to Florida where the cost of living was much cheaper, at least in the mid 80's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.