U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2016, 10:11 AM

2,729 posts, read 5,150,628 times

Advertisements

The Pacific Northwest within the USA is western Washington and Oregon. Spokane and Boise (and Idaho) are often referred to as the Inland Northwest. North Idaho is in the Pacific Time Zone.

Boise's most watched local news (KTVB) is part of the Northwest Cable News Network along with Spokane, Portland and Seattle.

Seems like a thread about this topic is posted monthly at city data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2016, 12:51 PM

2,199 posts, read 2,320,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post

Seems like a thread about this topic is posted monthly at city data.
People in Spokane keep hoping things have changed...

Old 04-22-2016, 02:43 PM

8,440 posts, read 11,156,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
Well I was always taught in school that the PNW was WA, OR, and ID and sometimes AK. Though I think it's closely associated with Cascadia and this map defines it as the watersheds of rivers flowing into the Pacific.
I was taught the same as grega except for CA. However, I think the definition has changed over time, depending on what information one is searching.

Two non-geological examples: In its glory days, cities in the PNW had a large Bon Marche, later renamed the Bon. I'm unaware of any stores built out of WA, OR or Idaho until maybe the 80s. It was more than just Bon Marche /Bon, other stores were limited to those three states and sometimes western MT. Perhaps some MT had Bon stores too, IDK. These were big stores in small cities...three floor stoors.

A different example is the Edward R. Murrow Award for the Media. WA, OR and ID form Region I for the Murrow awards. That seems fitting given the Edward R. Murrow Center at Washington State University. In the recent 2016 awards, all three states won various awards. For ID, that included two separate TV stations in Boise and Two First place awards for Digital Media in Idaho Falls. Various OR and WA cities won awards based on their size and category.

Those are just two more ways to think of the PNW as defined by non-geological measures.

MSR

Old 04-25-2016, 07:16 AM

22,674 posts, read 28,720,526 times
Pacific Northwest Is Washington, Oregon, and Idaho.

Alaska, although it is on the Pacific and it is in the Northwest, is not the Pacific Northwest, it is "Alaska", which is its own region.

Vancouver Island would be the Pacific Southwest, being as how it is on the southern border.

Northern Californians would like to be included to separate themselves from the rest of their state, but they are not.

Old 04-25-2016, 11:17 AM

270 posts, read 223,953 times
For what it's worth, I grew up in Oregon, and the Northwest (which was a shorter synonym for "Pacific Northwest") was the whole state of Oregon and the whole state of Washington. Vancouver, B.C. was sort of an honorary extension of the Northwest. I had never heard of Idaho being part of the Northwest until I started looking at C-D. Idahoans may see it differently. Alaska... technically yes, but in practice not really; saying Alaska is part of the Northwest is like saying California is part of the Southwest.

Old 04-25-2016, 03:21 PM

2,199 posts, read 2,320,370 times
Idaho is part of the Pacific Northwest like Tennessee is part of the east coast.

Old 04-25-2016, 05:39 PM

1,152 posts, read 2,615,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post

Alaska, although it is on the Pacific and it is in the Northwest, is not the Pacific Northwest, it is "Alaska", which is its own region.

Vancouver Island would be the Pacific Southwest, being as how it is on the southern border.

Northern Californians would like to be included to separate themselves from the rest of their state, but they are not.
This is an accurate post.

Old 04-25-2016, 08:18 PM

4,552 posts, read 3,640,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post

I could see Alaska for the most part as its ginormous however I think the Glacier Bay National Park and south could qualify. Places like Juneau and Sitka. They have the same weather after all. In my eyes north of the Glacier Bay National Park it starts to become the "Pacific North" as the ocean is south of you at that point

Yeah Alaska is really it's own beast on its own in most of it, with its only comparable areas really being Canada and Siberia but when I was there SE Alaska felt different than Anchorage. We would have to take it up with Alaskans if they think the SE Arm of the state would fit in with the PNW. They know it better than us.

California is also kind of it's own thing, as California doesn't fit in with Oregon and Washington and the rest of the West. Arizona tends to shun California for the most part, if anything California fits in with Nevada and that's it. It seems like a lot of people in Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, have started to shun California as they begin to deal with what places like Arizona and Oregon have been dealing with for decades now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or