U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2016, 05:04 AM

6 posts, read 5,424 times

Advertisements

I used to live in Cleveland hated it.do I even have to explain myself? I live in Columbus now and it's not as bad but I still don't like it. I don't connect with the people here I hate the weather it's boring and I don't feel safe where I live on the west side . I hate that every time I go to the gas station I am confronted by people for money or looked at like a steak. No I don't dress in a manner that asks for that. I don't like living somewhere where I'm told to not stop at stop signs because it's not safe . Even if I lived in a nicer area of Ohio I still don't want to be here.
I want to move down south to either North Carolina or Florida where I used to live but being a 21 year old female moving alone I am hesitant and want to make sure it's a decent area.
I want a big town or city near the coast. I like salt water fishing and boating Low crime rate. Plenty to do. Southern hospitality. Social opps and dating scene for 21 year old female but not college town feel. I am a nurse and over that phase of my life and generally date older . And decent COL seeing I will be moving alone no roommates on a 50k annual salary. Could budget 800$ month for living accommodations give or take . Please advise .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2016, 08:14 AM

3,599 posts, read 1,527,009 times
My cousin's daughter is 26 and lives in Wilmington, NC and absolutely loves it there. An aunt and uncle of mine lives there as well (Carolina Beach) and we love visiting. Great area. The city has about 120,000 people. Charleston, SC is also really nice. In FL, the Tampa Bay area is a place we always liked. COL in these areas is good too. Good luck!

Old 04-18-2016, 08:18 AM

23,579 posts, read 17,561,360 times
I absolutely love Tampa. Jacksonville is also great and would be a bit cheaper. Charleston is one of my favorite cities as well. I wouldn't move to Myrtle Beach or any really small beach towns.

Old 04-18-2016, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I absolutely love Tampa. Jacksonville is also great and would be a bit cheaper. Charleston is one of my favorite cities as well. I wouldn't move to Myrtle Beach or any really small beach towns.
I'm familiar with ALL areas mentioned and totally agree.

Old 04-18-2016, 08:32 AM

23,579 posts, read 17,561,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
I'm familiar with ALL areas mentioned and totally agree.
I am from east Tennessee and Myrtle Beach has been the destination of choice for local families going back years.

I never found it interesting even as a little kid. My grandparents would take me to the beach during the third week in June (always this week), and they stayed at the same hotel with the same routine. Over the years, MB got more and more trashy. I went back in 2011 for a few days and I doubt I'll ever go back.

IMO, Daytona is much the same way as Myrtle - trashy. Considering I can go to great beaches in FL (Siesta Key, St. Pete Beach, Naples, Sanibel) for about the same price as going to Myrtle, the choice is obvious

Old 04-18-2016, 08:34 AM

1,099 posts, read 1,124,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blairelilycooper View Post
I used to live in Cleveland hated it.do I even have to explain myself? I live in Columbus now and it's not as bad but I still don't like it. I don't connect with the people here I hate the weather it's boring and I don't feel safe where I live on the west side . I hate that every time I go to the gas station I am confronted by people for money or looked at like a steak. No I don't dress in a manner that asks for that. I don't like living somewhere where I'm told to not stop at stop signs because it's not safe . Even if I lived in a nicer area of Ohio I still don't want to be here.
I want to move down south to either North Carolina or Florida where I used to live but being a 21 year old female moving alone I am hesitant and want to make sure it's a decent area.
I want a big town or city near the coast. I like salt water fishing and boating Low crime rate. Plenty to do. Southern hospitality. Social opps and dating scene for 21 year old female but not college town feel. I am a nurse and over that phase of my life and generally date older . And decent COL seeing I will be moving alone no roommates on a 50k annual salary. Could budget 800$ month for living accommodations give or take . Please advise .
You could also check out Hampton Roads, VA. Excellent fishing and boating (Hampton Roads has more water than you can shake a stick at), plenty of health care work, a disproportionate amount of males for dating due to the military, and for $800/month you could actually get a place in Virginia Beach proper in a safe area just so long as you know where you're looking (and Virginia Beach as a whole is a very safe large city).

Old 04-18-2016, 08:37 AM

22,769 posts, read 26,212,348 times
Quote:
Charleston, SC is also really nice.
I live in Charleston; it meets all her criteria except cost. $800/mo isn't realistic.

Quote:
My cousin's daughter is 26 and lives in Wilmington, NC and absolutely loves it there. An aunt and uncle of mine lives there as well (Carolina Beach) and we love visiting. Great area. The city has about 120,000 people.
I recently moved away from Wilmington; it also meets her criteria, and is probably more realistic in terms of cost. You can rent something for $800/mo.

Overall I'd say Wilmington is definitely the better choice for a working person. Charleston is better if money is no object.

Old 04-18-2016, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I am from east Tennessee and Myrtle Beach has been the destination of choice for local families going back years.

I never found it interesting even as a little kid. My grandparents would take me to the beach during the third week in June (always this week), and they stayed at the same hotel with the same routine. Over the years, MB got more and more trashy. I went back in 2011 for a few days and I doubt I'll ever go back.

IMO, Daytona is much the same way as Myrtle - trashy. Considering I can go to great beaches in FL (Siesta Key, St. Pete Beach, Naples, Sanibel) for about the same price as going to Myrtle, the choice is obvious
Same here. I have always lived in the Charlotte area. In the 70's and 80's, Myrtle Beach was actually a great place. Wonderful memories! My grandparent's family farm (and where my parent's were raised) is about 40 miles inland, so I'm very familiar with the area. But through the 90's, the area became more and more of a tourist trap, crime-ridden, and "trashy". Area officials have tried to battle it, but it just hasn't worked. My brother and his wife own a beach home there (but live here), so the only time we go now is for family time at their beach house. It's a shame! And it's about the same way with Daytona, as you said. But we absolutely love Tampa Bay FL, Charleston SC, and Wilmington NC. Great family beaches, relaxing/laid-back, great history, and not the least bit tacky, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or