U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2016, 09:49 AM

7,747 posts, read 4,604,705 times

Advertisements

My wife has a hyper-specific career path. When we were looking to leave Boston, there were only two openings in the country. She was offered both. We chose Pittsburgh. I love it here, but if we had our preference, we'd be in Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2016, 10:09 AM

5,311 posts, read 5,350,302 times
Where to draw the line in the sand is dependent on how important it is for you to be someplace with a specific setting (or a specific place). As I've gotten older, I've found that nothing worthwhile happens quickly. If you're passionate about living someplace in particular, I'd recommend that you save money, build a plan and find a job where you want to be. Nothing is more refreshing than finding your place in the world and I think that there are a lot of ways to make it happen.

It took my wife and I about four years to transition to where we are now. Selling a house, buying a house, moving, change in jobs, leaving people we knew, moving into a neighborhood where we didn't know anyone. It was, and still is, an adventure.

Best of luck to you. And don't let anyone tell you that you can't do it.

Old 04-19-2016, 10:25 AM

3,145 posts, read 2,838,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I moved to Indianapolis two years ago for a job offer. I doubled my salary from what it was and accepted a better role here in February. I've never been "sold" on this area - there's nothing in the way of natural scenery here and crime is through the roof (six murders since Friday alone). I'm tired of renting and have thought about buying property here, but part of me is very hesitant as this is not a place I'd really want to be, as I have no personal ties here and there's no real attraction other than the decent economy.

Staying here feels like settling - it's like a shoe that you know doesn't fit exactly properly , but you've worn it enough to be familiar with it. After two years, it's not gelling much better than it did in the fast two months.

Where do you draw the "line in the sand" about hitching your wagons to a place that just doesn't feel right? Did you end up having to settle or go where you wanted to?

Settled. Moved here mainly because I got a great deal on a house in Pittsburgh I flipped. I sold that and rent because I refuse to buy a home in Pittsburgh again. I am like you, there's no real attraction. I would move in a second but I have a good job, which is rare for the region. Plan is to eventually buy a weekend property and end up moving there. I leave the city almost every weekend as it is to make living here more bearable.

Old 04-19-2016, 06:30 PM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 10,555,583 times
Neat thread. Serious Conversation, I've followed your posts...I hope you find what you're looking for.

I think I'm somewhere in the middle. I'm a Florida native. My location timeline is like this: Tampa > Los Angeles > Sydney, Australia > Raleigh.

Strangely enough, I'm attracted to super urban cities that have cold weather but have never lived in one of those. Something like Minneapolis or NYC is what I like.

After moving back to the States from Australia, I needed a job and was just floating around in FL for a few months. I was able to get a high-paying job with a former employer, and I could pretty much work anywhere within their radius. And so Raleigh seemed like the best choice out of what was available to me. I could have moved anywhere in the US. If I end up leaving Raleigh, I'll have that freedom and won't be limited by jobs.

I have been in Raleigh since August and I do like it. I'm currently trying to decide if I want to buy property here (I'm now in a great position to do that!) when my lease is up or if I want to move on and go somewhere such as Minneapolis. I like the scenery, the state, the 4 seasons, the city. The only negative things I can think of is that you need a car to get everywhere, so it's not my ideal city. I do, however, live in a walkable neighborhood that's right outside of Downtown.

It's just a matter of thinking about if I like it enough to buy property here when I could live anywhere in the US. I'm single and in my mid-20's, so I'm not tied down here.

Old 04-19-2016, 06:49 PM

5,847 posts, read 11,045,800 times
moved from Long Island, NY to Orange County, CA. Loved it. had a good job, plenty of friends. life was good.

Made the mistake of moving to Missouri. Two years of Misery, even though I had a good job, and a house on a lake.
Had enough and moved back to California. Wasn't about to settle.

Old 04-19-2016, 07:12 PM

4,407 posts, read 4,625,216 times
I moved to a city in WA for a good job. It didn't work out. I didn't want to move back to the state I lived in most of my life and I didn't want to stay in the town where the job went bad (very negative experience). So I picked another city in WA to move to, mostly at random. Now I have been here 3 years, like it and plan on staying for awhile. I am happy I didn't move back home, the most predictable decision I could have made, because I am seeing different things and meeting different people than I would have otherwise.

Old 04-19-2016, 07:18 PM

29 posts, read 27,667 times
In September of 2015, I got a job in Kitsap County, Washington and moved here. No doubt, the natural beauty is stunning, but I need more. A lot more. I am miserable here.

Last edited by Enigma606x; 04-19-2016 at 08:28 PM..

Old 04-19-2016, 07:57 PM

1,112 posts, read 1,876,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma606x View Post
In September of 2016, I got a job in Kitsap County, Washington and moved here. No doubt, the natural beauty is stunning, but I need more. A lot more. I am miserable here.
Same here. I am currently in a beautiful but sleepy mountain town and I get stared at a lot because I'm one of the only young people here. Everyone else is retired or older, richer families. I don't have the time and money to access the mountains. But I like my company and I feel like I have to stay with this company for a couple years in order to get good references and a good job in a better city. I have a history of job hopping and no good job references.

It makes me jealous to think that other women my age are probably married and having babies or living it up as a "power single" in a more energetic city like NYC, LA, or Chicago. I would take either of those lifestyles over the one I have now. And here I am living amongst retirees, with a job that doesn't pay well but treats me well. That's the other thing - I've worked for so many bad companies in the past, that I am scared to let go of this good company I'm at now.

The problem is I kinda cursed myself because I HAVE lived in world class cities before, and I HAVE experienced that rush of energy (unfortunately not enough to gain job references/leads). It's like downgrading from Mercedes Benz to a Ford Focus. Yeah, ultimately it's better for your bank account and in the end it's still a car but it's just hard to downgrade.

Last edited by skidamarink; 04-19-2016 at 08:06 PM..

Old 04-19-2016, 08:00 PM

473 posts, read 360,995 times
We "settled" until it was the right time to move to our dream city.

There's something to be said about being in a place where you can rapidly advance your career and (presumably) save money. For us, those two factors enabled us to move from a mid-sized city with a relatively low COL to a much more dynamic city with a heftier price tag and a much more competitive job market.

That said, we didn't have a timetable. We just lived our lives in the imperfect city and made the most of the opportunities there until better opportunities came along elsewhere. We even started putting down roots ... and it surprised me when we moved that I actually felt a bit conflicted about it because we had developed a nice little network. If you're too hung up on moving, it becomes a bit self-defeating ... you want to move, so you don't go out of your way to make long-term commitments (like buying a house or getting involved in the community), but then the lack of attachment makes you feel disconnected from the place, intensifying the desire to move.

So make sure you're giving Indy a fair chance, but definitely keep an eye out for other career opportunities. It's a bit of conflicting advice, but unless you think you can move right away, you can't neglect your short-term happiness.

Old 04-19-2016, 08:33 PM

29 posts, read 27,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidamarink View Post
It makes me jealous to think that other women my age are probably married and having babies or living it up as a "power single" in a more energetic city like NYC, LA, or Chicago. I would take either of those lifestyles over the one I have now. And here I am living amongst retirees, with a job that doesn't pay well but treats me well. That's the other thing - I've worked for so many bad companies in the past, that I am scared to let go of this good company I'm at now.
I am from Chicago and got my grad degree 8 years after my undergrad in a different field. It took me a year to get this job and was excited about coming here. Now that I am here the job is not what I expected. It looks good on a resume though. I also would like to have a family, but I live in the land the married or the meth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or