U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2016, 12:51 PM

613 posts, read 977,964 times

Advertisements

Boise ID could possibly work, although it's a bit on the smaller side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2016, 01:37 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,474,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
Boston, MA fits most of your criteria. There is a lot of snow in the winters but it isn't crazy cold. There are a large amount of Tech jobs in the suburbs of Boston where good homes could be found for under 1 million. Massachusetts as a whole has the best public schools in the country and one of the strongest job markets for tech. If you can handle the winters I would defiantly recommend Massachusetts. The boston area is also very safe and comparable to Seattle in that aspect.

A warmer option would be the Raleigh-Durham area of North Carolina. Strong tech job market there and cheaper than Seattle or Boston.
Yes the Boston area is one of the few non-west-coast places that really appeals to me, even though I've never been, from what I've seen it seems like we would enjoy it. Something like Concord looks adorable. But from just a quick look at home prices, it seems entirely unaffordable?? Maybe I wasn't looking at the right places but what I was seeing on Zillow was pretty much nothing under $2 mil - and that's for really old run-down houses.

Old 04-19-2016, 01:57 PM

12,843 posts, read 4,646,651 times
Have you thought about Denver?

Old 04-19-2016, 02:45 PM

17,250 posts, read 19,545,740 times
If you're willing to consider the Boston area, then the New York City area (New Jersey) and the Washington DC area should also be considered. They all have lots of IT jobs.

The winters get cold and snowy on the east coast. But New York City and DC don't get brutally cold as often as Boston does.

Old 04-21-2016, 07:47 AM

3,083 posts, read 2,118,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
I don't see us moving in the near future. But as I've commented on the other thread, we live in Seattle and the threat of the big Cascadia earthquake has been becoming a major source of anxiety for me that I can't stop thinking about. The thing is I can't think of another place we would want to live in. But maybe someone does, so just for kicks I want to list all our requirements and see if there's anything out there. We've only ever lived on the west coast and I haven't been anywhere else in the US so I'm sort of clueless.

1 - no big earthquakes! lol. that'd be a given. For some reason tornadoes don't scare me nearly as much - because at least there's warning and shelters. It's the utter indpredictability of earthquakes and the much bigger scope of destruction that really makes me anxious
2 - relatively mild climate, as in no crazy cold winters and not crazy hot year-round (I wouldn't mind it but hubby would hate). Rain, grey, humidity, hot summers are all okay as long as it's not super cold
3 - quality of life similar to Seattle, in terms of education, safety, low crime, no real ghettos or scary gangs
4 - good IT/ tech jobs
5 - ability to buy an average-sized home in a great neighbourhood with excellent schools for under 1 mil.

Exist?? Or should I suck it up and go get therapy for my fear?...
Uhhh, I think suck it up is the best answer. Cascadia subduction, while terrifyingly possible, has nothing over the Yellowstone Super Volcano, although there is probably some co-dependency between the two and if one goes, the other will probably follow suite. If Yellowstone erupts, it will be of significant enough size the render nearly all of the western US uninhabitable and will significantly impact whatever is left of the US and drop temperatures around the globe. That is a disaster you can't avoid by simply moving.

I'd recommend not participating in forums, topics, or items feeding that fear. Nor should you indulge in any televised stories about such calamities. It is an item far beyond your control that no single person, agency, or country can control and we all live within its shadow. Worrying about it does not change its existence, regardless of your wealth, motivation, or participation in anything to prepare for such an event.

Old 04-21-2016, 08:41 AM

17,250 posts, read 19,545,740 times
No place on earth is safe from earthquakes. That kind of makes sense if you think about it. Although the probability of a massive earthquake hitting New York City is pretty low, it is not zero.

If you want to be completely safe from earthquakes, then you have to go live on the moon. It is practically a dead world tectonically.

Old 04-21-2016, 10:25 AM

8,452 posts, read 11,440,738 times
There's parts of SoCal near me that have few fault lines. Check this map where the freeway says "101":

http://www.drgeorgepc.com/BigOneFaultsLA.jpg

Old 04-21-2016, 01:23 PM

5,694 posts, read 8,762,354 times
Raleigh NC or Franklin TN, which is a suburb of Nashville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or