U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2016, 10:47 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,474,804 times

Advertisements

I don't see us moving in the near future. But as I've commented on the other thread, we live in Seattle and the threat of the big Cascadia earthquake has been becoming a major source of anxiety for me that I can't stop thinking about. The thing is I can't think of another place we would want to live in. But maybe someone does, so just for kicks I want to list all our requirements and see if there's anything out there. We've only ever lived on the west coast and I haven't been anywhere else in the US so I'm sort of clueless.

1 - no big earthquakes! lol. that'd be a given. For some reason tornadoes don't scare me nearly as much - because at least there's warning and shelters. It's the utter indpredictability of earthquakes and the much bigger scope of destruction that really makes me anxious
2 - relatively mild climate, as in no crazy cold winters and not crazy hot year-round (I wouldn't mind it but hubby would hate). Rain, grey, humidity, hot summers are all okay as long as it's not super cold
3 - quality of life similar to Seattle, in terms of education, safety, low crime, no real ghettos or scary gangs
4 - good IT/ tech jobs
5 - ability to buy an average-sized home in a great neighbourhood with excellent schools for under 1 mil.

Exist?? Or should I suck it up and go get therapy for my fear?...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2016, 06:40 AM

17,247 posts, read 19,545,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
3 - quality of life similar to Seattle, in terms of education, safety, low crime, no real ghettos or scary gangs
Most major metro areas in the U.S. have ghettos and gangs in the low income minority neighborhoods. I guess Seattle has very few ghettos or gangs because it has so few low income minorities.

However, if you can afford a million dollar home then you don't need to worry about things like that (unless you simply don't want to live in a metro area that has ghettos and gangs anywhere at all).

Old 04-19-2016, 07:21 AM

7,704 posts, read 4,566,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Most major metro areas in the U.S. have ghettos and gangs in the low income minority neighborhoods. I gu

However, if you can afford a million dollar home then you don't need to worry about things like that (unless you simply don't want to live in a metro area that has ghettos and gangs anywhere at all).
Yeah, I simply don't understand the whole no ghettos or gangs thing. In 99% of this country if you can spend close to $1 million in a home, you will be so isolated from crime and ghettos, they may as well not exist. The insistence that there be no ghettos in the metro strikes me as a bit of a dog whistle.

Old 04-19-2016, 07:24 AM

1,290 posts, read 1,125,372 times
Lol at 'ghettos and gangs' is this 1994?

Anyway, look at Charlotte, Austin, Atlanta maybe?

Old 04-19-2016, 07:35 AM

3,145 posts, read 2,828,129 times
Morgantown, WV

Old 04-19-2016, 11:28 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,253,023 times
Do you prefer urban areas? Austin may work if it isn't too hot for your husband. Dallas-Fort Worth may also work, but you may have to sacrifice urban life to live in the suburbs (DISS doesn't have a great reputation).

Old 04-19-2016, 11:34 AM

2,540 posts, read 3,474,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Yeah, I simply don't understand the whole no ghettos or gangs thing. In 99% of this country if you can spend close to $1 million in a home, you will be so isolated from crime and ghettos, they may as well not exist. The insistence that there be no ghettos in the metro strikes me as a bit of a dog whistle.
Well okay if they're isolated and miles away thats one thing, what I mean is I wouldn't want to worry about my sons going out downtown when they're older teens for example and being at risk of getting attacked for wearing the wrong color or caught in a drive by. I admit we're very spoiled when it comes to those things because we lived in Vancouver, Canada where I felt safe walking downtown anytime at night as a single female, then we moved to the Bay Area and then Seattle east side. Bay Area was the only place with a semblance of ghettos and gang activity and I have to admit it made me uneasy even living in a safe suburb. Just because the whole concept is foreign and I wasn't used to it. I think having two young boys intensifies it for me, if we had all girls or grown kids I wouldn't care as much

Last edited by EvilCookie; 04-19-2016 at 11:42 AM..

Old 04-19-2016, 11:47 AM

2,183 posts, read 1,356,080 times
Boston, MA fits most of your criteria. There is a lot of snow in the winters but it isn't crazy cold. There are a large amount of Tech jobs in the suburbs of Boston where good homes could be found for under 1 million. Massachusetts as a whole has the best public schools in the country and one of the strongest job markets for tech. If you can handle the winters I would defiantly recommend Massachusetts. The boston area is also very safe and comparable to Seattle in that aspect.

A warmer option would be the Raleigh-Durham area of North Carolina. Strong tech job market there and cheaper than Seattle or Boston.

Last edited by tysmith95; 04-19-2016 at 11:55 AM..

Old 04-19-2016, 12:18 PM

15,470 posts, read 25,417,065 times
I would say San Diego fits your criteria as well. It has IT/Tech jobs but the market is not as strong as Seattle though.

Contrary to what many people assume, SD actually doesn't get large earthquakes like SF and LA as it's much farther from the San Andreas fault.

Old 04-19-2016, 12:47 PM

4,266 posts, read 6,348,204 times
Look to Washington DC's suburbs.

Plenty of IT jobs in the region, both in the public and private sector. Four season climate with typically mild winters and hot (sometimes very muggy) summers. All the cultural and entertainment options of DC are nearby. You can get a place with good-to-great public schools on your budget in Chevy Chase, Bethesda, Fairfax, Falls Church, Alexandria, Arlington, and many other 'burbs in Maryland or Virginia, depending on where yr work location would be. (Some are also easily accessible to DC via mass transit.) All offer a pretty high quality of life.

And nobody worries about earthquakes or tornadoes. Democrats and Republicans? Yes! But earthquakes or tornaodes aren't really a daily concern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or