Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2016, 08:11 PM

45 posts, read 55,977 times

Advertisements

Is the west coast as great as it seems? It seems like most of the cities on the west coast dont suffer from the same problems alot of east coast cities do . Things like pollution , white flight, gangs, urban decay, and racial tension, are heavily existant on the east coast. Why does the west coast seem like such a wonderland? Cities like Seattle, Portland and Denver just seem like amazing places with little or few problems.

Is my view of the west coast just a dream or is it a reality ?Which coast do you like better? Why do east coast cities have so many problems? Are there any east coast cities like Portland or Denver ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2016, 08:51 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,090,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfdog17 View Post
Is the west coast as great as it seems? It seems like most of the cities on the west coast dont suffer from the same problems alot of east coast cities do . Things like pollution , white flight, gangs, urban decay, and racial tension, are heavily existant on the east coast. Why does the west coast seem like such a wonderland? Cities like Seattle, Portland and Denver just seem like amazing places with little or few problems.

Is my view of the west coast just a dream or is it a reality ?Which coast do you like better? Why do east coast cities have so many problems? Are there any east coast cities like Portland or Denver ?
Denver isn't on the West Coast anymore than Phoenix is. Isn't LA, rightly or wrongly, basically the poster child for most of the issues mentioned above? About Portland and Seattle, I think it helps that in both cities, over two thirds of the population is of one race, White, and that the largest minority in both, Asian Americans, with Whites representing nearly 90% of the population, hardly have racial tensions with any other racial group throughout the nation. That, along with a relatively small Hispanic population, may have helped prevent or alleviate racial tensions and white flight, which in turn may have helped prevent urban decay.

Old 04-12-2016, 09:47 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,092,524 times
Quote:

Denver is a western city that isn't on the coast... Living someplace is a lot different from visiting, but during my trip to Portland it was awesome. Having lived in Denver, it doesn't suck, but it is far from the coolest place ever. It feels a lot smaller than it really is because of sprawl.

Old 04-12-2016, 10:25 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,332,480 times
It may not seem like the West Coast has the same problems simply because people live more spread apart from each other, and transportation relies more on vehicles. But that doesn't mean that everyone is racially tolerant. On the West Coast, people generally have less interaction with strangers which means less likelihood of the same problems. Also, the West Coast doesn't have the same history, infrastructure and economy as the East Coast cities. West Coast cities do not have an abundance of jobs in a variety of fields like East Coast cities. This limits the demographic that can live out there. It seems to be increasingly IT professionals and retirees who reign supreme on the West Coast, and the other jobs are usually extremely competitive for lower salaries because so many people want to live on the West Coast. On the East Coast, one can build themselves in so many job fields for higher pay.

So yes, the West Coast may not have the same problems but it's not very attainable living to the average American. I have come to think of West Coast cities as being luxury living or simply vacation spots and nothing more. Not intended for the average young American trying to build a life for themselves, unless you are just extremely talented in your field or lucky enough to know the right people. I would suggest to most 20-30 somethings to go build income and social networks on the East Coast for 10-15 years, then use your valuable work experience to get a better job on the West Coast.

The West Coast has less black people and more Asians. i've heard mixed reviews from black people. Some say life is better for them out West, others say it's terrible and the discrimination goes ignored and unspoken whereas out East these issues get talked about.

Old 04-12-2016, 11:43 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,041,876 times
Quote:
Is the west coast as great as it seems? It seems like most of the cities on the west coast dont suffer from the same problems alot of east coast cities do...Is my view of the west coast just a dream or is it a reality ?
Just focusing on California, I think there is a vast difference between the cities here and cities on the east coast. Buildings aren't as old (except a few areas with Victorians), or as weatherbeaten, even the low-income areas don't look like traditional slums. Only a few areas in the bigger cities have high-rise buildings, and most neighborhoods are a mix of single-family houses and low-rise apartments. The lack of brutal winter weather and lots of sun allows people to be outdoors more, and the cities have been built close to nature so no need to travel far away to see and be in it. The politics seem more of an open process.

Sure, some people everywhere have their prejudices, but they don't seem to have been passed down generation after generation here, maybe because so many people are from somewhere else. There are hardly any of the older neighborhoods of the east coast, like Irish or Italian neighborhoods. There are Asian, Indian, etc. areas, but they are mostly immigrants, and many of those areas are surprisingly high-income. Even the concept of what constitutes a minority is in flux--some figures say Hispanics are the majority. There's a different mind set.

Old 04-13-2016, 02:41 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,518,151 times
There's no wonderland or perfect utopia anywhere in the U.S. (or the World, for that matter). Too many unreasonable expectations. Both coasts have their issues and wonderful things to offer too. It's no more complicated than that. CA has it's natural wonders, nice weather, and varied climates. But they have more than their share of natural disasters, chilly ocean water compared to the East, unhealthy urban air, and very high cost of living.....Portland and Seattle are green, have good economies, and great natural beauty. But the drizzle/clouds/rain would drive me nuts and living costs are high.....The Southeast Coast (my favorite region and where I live, VA/NC/SC/GA/FL) has a great climate, friendly people, wonderful history, a variety of geography, strong economy, and low cost of living. But the humidity's high, most metros don't have much mass transit past buses, rising crime in urban areas, and traffic outpacing road construction. No place is perfect. Never will be. Watching too many movies/TV or stereotyping will give the impression that these "perfect" places do exist, when they actually don't. Nevertheless, I love every part of our country in different ways; warts and all, lol!

Old 04-13-2016, 03:07 PM

1,826 posts, read 2,495,577 times
I find people on the West Coast to be a lot more open-minded, relaxed, and laid back. The East coast in comparison seems to be a lot more uptight and behind socially (especially the southeast). I also love the architecture styles of the buildings in California.

The West Coast also has the best weather in the country.

There's a reason why the cost of living is generally higher compared to the east coast. It's more desirable.

Old 04-13-2016, 03:09 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,446,688 times
OP, Seattle and Portland are not on the West Coast. The are considered the Pacific Northwest. Denver is considered Middle West by some and West by others. The West Coast is usually considered to be California. I would suggest you visit the West Coast and the PNW to see for yourself. Also Denver. They may not have the same problems as East Coast cities but they they certainly all have their problems.

California has pollution and Portland is getting there with its ever increasing traffic. Portland, Seattle and parts of California have a huge homeless problem many Eastern cities do not have.

Educate yourself on facts from actual reliable sources not from Social Media or TV shows.

The first thing you should do is look at some geography books.

Old 04-13-2016, 03:55 PM

765 posts, read 898,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
OP, Seattle and Portland are not on the West Coast. The are considered the Pacific Northwest. Denver is considered Middle West by some and West by others. The West Coast is usually considered to be California. I would suggest you visit the West Coast and the PNW to see for yourself. Also Denver. They may not have the same problems as East Coast cities but they they certainly all have their problems.

California has pollution and Portland is getting there with its ever increasing traffic. Portland, Seattle and parts of California have a huge homeless problem many Eastern cities do not have.

Educate yourself on facts from actual reliable sources not from Social Media or TV shows.

The first thing you should do is look at some geography books.
From my perspective, Seattle and Portland are on the West Coast. They are also in the Pacific Northwest. That is what I have known with growing up here and I think it is how most people see the region(s)

Old 04-13-2016, 03:58 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,936,658 times
Quote:
Cities like Seattle, Portland and Denver just seem like amazing places with little or few problems.
Denver:
-can be quite smoggy.
-has had white flight (in the 60's/70s, city schools were forcefully integrated back then), many city schools are still 90%+ Hispanic.
-has urban decay, but it has improved, particularly over the last 5 years.
-Denver is segregated by western standards, most black people live east of I-25 or in Aurora, most Asians are within a few miles of Federal Blvd (or in Aurora), and the south/SW suburbs are very white.

Seattle is particularly lacking in public transportation.

Seattle and Portland have incredibly atrocious traffic, and Denver's is getting there.

Denver has crippling blizzards every year, sometimes a few times a year. Seattle and Portland are crippled by one inch of snow. Seattle and Portland are essentially overcast and/or rainy for 2/3 of the year, and Denver can get snow any month between October and May, thus between May and October, Denver gets severe thunderstorms.

All three cities have gangs (5280's on the fingers are popular in Denver).

All three cities have homeless problems.

All three cities are expensive.

All three cities have been hipsterized beyond recognition.

All three cities are perpetually high, or are trying to get perpetually high.

Any questions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.