U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2016, 01:50 PM

195 posts, read 310,136 times

Advertisements

I'm having a hard time thinking of even one city which has a solid technology sector, but is not overwhelmingly politically "progressive". Are there any such cities I'm missing?

Specifically, it's important to me to be in a place where there is at least some political diversity and where different viewpoints are tolerated. (FWIW, I'm politically moderate.) However, I also need the area to have at least some technology presence. (Remote software development work is often available, but I don't want to rely on it.) That said, it's not important to me to actually work in the technology sector. Applying my technology skills to other industries would be perfectly fine.

That said, I'd also prefer to avoid archconservative and/or generally intolerant places, even if the intolerance isn't directed at me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2016, 01:59 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,255,543 times
Dallas-Fort Worth and Austin, if you include the suburbs, come to mind.

Old 04-19-2016, 02:04 PM

29,946 posts, read 27,406,003 times
The northern 'burbs of Atlanta come to mind, as well as some 'burbs of the NC Triangle area.

Old 04-19-2016, 02:12 PM

7,909 posts, read 12,173,501 times
I'm kind of confused by the original point though. The Bay Area may be overwhelmingly liberal, but it's not as if there are no Conservatives or Moderates. Same thing goes for NYC or Boston or any city in this country.

It's pretty funny how mass media has convinced people that there is such a thing as a city that only leans one way politically or socially. Humans are more complex than that.

Old 04-19-2016, 07:22 PM

2,183 posts, read 1,357,725 times
Many suburbs of Boston on north shore and south shore are politically moderate. Western Mass and the Cities are overwhelmingly liberal so the state is reliable blue but you won't have any trouble finding moderate towns. Many other metro areas across the country are probably similar.

Are you looking specifically for urban areas over suburbs? Urban areas tend to be more liberal than the suburbs or rural areas.

Old 04-19-2016, 07:39 PM

473 posts, read 359,251 times
Nashville? It's a burgeoning technology center, mostly healthcare-related.

Old 04-19-2016, 07:57 PM

3,604 posts, read 1,533,669 times
I think the Raleigh/Durham area would be good for you. Great tech industry, but a good mix of liberal/conservative in the metro........Just as a general overview, I do think that most people (including myself as an Independent Conservative) would probably have no problem living in about any place, politically speaking. As long as I can find me a good church and people who aren't politically and religiously hostile (no matter the political persuasion), I'm cool. We can all find our niche. But I do notice on City-Data that many people who are looking for an area to move to ask for a "progressive" or "liberal" area, which seems to me to go against the law of "diversity". I think I've seen only 1 person specifically seeking out a conservative area since I've been on here. I know it's only natural for any of us to be drawn to those who are like-minded, but went we use the word "diversity", we really need to make sure we know what we're talking about. Racial diversity, diversity of thought/ideas, etc. We can't pick and choose.

Old 04-19-2016, 09:13 PM

1,615 posts, read 1,062,657 times
You should try charleston sc
They have a big shortage with people in the tech department but jobs pay pretty decent for the area

Old 04-19-2016, 09:31 PM

2,183 posts, read 1,357,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
I think the Raleigh/Durham area would be good for you. Great tech industry, but a good mix of liberal/conservative in the metro........Just as a general overview, I do think that most people (including myself as an Independent Conservative) would probably have no problem living in about any place, politically speaking. As long as I can find me a good church and people who aren't politically and religiously hostile (no matter the political persuasion), I'm cool. We can all find our niche. But I do notice on City-Data that many people who are looking for an area to move to ask for a "progressive" or "liberal" area, which seems to me to go against the law of "diversity". I think I've seen only 1 person specifically seeking out a conservative area since I've been on here. I know it's only natural for any of us to be drawn to those who are like-minded, but went we use the word "diversity", we really need to make sure we know what we're talking about. Racial diversity, diversity of thought/ideas, etc. We can't pick and choose.
There isn't any large community in the United States where christian church communities do not exist and the freedom to practice christian religion is restricted. However LGBT people can be legally discriminated against in much of the country. There are also many parts of the country where non-church goers would feel out of place. I'm a gay agnostic male and would certainly feel uncomfortable living in a overly conservative area where I didn't feel accepted.

Old 04-20-2016, 07:16 AM

3,604 posts, read 1,533,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
There isn't any large community in the United States where christian church communities do not exist and the freedom to practice christian religion is restricted. However LGBT people can be legally discriminated against in much of the country. There are also many parts of the country where non-church goers would feel out of place. I'm a gay agnostic male and would certainly feel uncomfortable living in a overly conservative area where I didn't feel accepted.
Some of what you said just isn't true. On most college campus', Christians are deomized. Trust me, I experienced it in the early 1980's (and saw friends experience it) and our youngest son experienced it big time last year. Christians can "openly" practice, but in some environments (especially those who claim "open-mindedness". Diversity of thought is actually abhorred by them) there's a price to pay most of the time. About the LGBT people being legally discriminated against in much of the nation, that just isn't true. Simply no getting every demand you want doesn't warrant "discrimination". I know right now here in NC that there is a bill that has a lot of good things in there to reinforce that there be no discrimination against those who are gay. No one has a problem with this. BUT, there's a little part of the bill that says that transgenders should have the right to enter any restroom, locker room, or dressing room of their choosing. Those who believe that it is unreasonable and inappropriate for random men of any kind to be able to enter bathrooms/locker rooms/beach shower houses and such, with women and girls are labeled "bigoted" and "hate-filled". Is this the "discrimination" you're talking about? What about the rights of privacy to others? No compromises (such as unisex facilities) have been offered by the LGBT community. Only demands. Don't you think that makes some others feel "uncomfortable" in an "overly liberal" environment such as that. The respect, reasoning, and tolerance has to work BOTH ways. It's hypocritical otherwise. . Those who have heard of this situation haven't even bothered to look at the bill, only react to misinformation they have heard or read. Simply because one specific group (Christian, gay, or otherwise) demands something doesn't automatically mean it's right or reasonable. Both sides of the isle have to have their rights and feelings respected without being bullied and called "bigots" for simply disagreeing, especially if we want our requests (or in this case, demands) taken seriously. What if I felt "uncomfortable" in your world or environment? Would that matter? Or is it just select ones who get that consideration? Can we use discomfort as a way to skirt the "diversity" we say we embrace? Do our "feelings" always equal what truly is or are we labeling our biases as "discomfort" in order to self-segregate and feel justified? Yet if someone who we disagree with on this point does the same thing or has different sets of "discomfort", THEY'RE the bigot, not us. This works on all sides of the political spectrum. Honestly, I'm not trying to be a jerk or wise guy. I have friends I've known all of my life who are gay and we get along awesomely, even if we don't totally agree on every single thing. But even a few of them have rolled their eyes at this restroom thing. I honestly want everyone to be protected and get along. But I just want those who are liberally minded to realize, yes, conservatives can be unreasonable too. But liberals can also be just as unreasonable and ignoring the rights of others while focusing only what they want. I think most of us want to get along no matter what our differences are. We just have to be brave enough to speak out if we feel someone is a bit unreasonable, even if name-calling and labeling we thrown at us.

Last edited by march2; 04-20-2016 at 08:22 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or