U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-20-2016, 01:15 PM
 
5 posts, read 4,998 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

I am a first year teacher currently living and working in Oklahoma. I moved back here two years ago to be by family but I can not afford to live beyond paycheck to paycheck on Oklahoma teacher salary, even with Oklahoma's low cost of living. I am wanting to move to another state that I can make enough to survive as a single parent without having to get a second job.

The following is what I am looking for with new place..

1- Decent teacher pay
2- Low cost of living
3- Country life but close to a city
4- great schools
5- low crime
6- I love to be active and be outdoors, such as hiking, so a place close to many outdoor activities is a must. Possibly by mountains.
7- I also would like to live somewhere that recycles and encourages a healthy lifestyle

Thank you for any suggestions and guidance on where to start looking would be great
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-20-2016, 02:41 PM
 
21,188 posts, read 30,366,193 times
Reputation: 19627
I would take a look at states like New York or Maryland which offer places to live outside of the bigger cities that are somewhat affordable. New York is ranked 3rd for starting teacher salary and is Maryland is 5th, both starting at just below 44K. In New York areas like Albany or Poughkeepsie would be good options along with places in Maryland like Frederick or the northern suburbs of Baltimore. In terms of cost of living you might do a tad better in Maryland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2016, 02:58 PM
 
6,968 posts, read 14,093,325 times
Reputation: 4553
Stay out of the south if you're looking for decent teacher pay and healthy living. That narrows this down A LOT.

https://wallethub.com/edu/best-and-w...teachers/7159/

The 10 States That (Really) Pay Teachers the Most | TakePart
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2016, 06:19 PM
 
Location: Pittsburgh
3,145 posts, read 2,827,316 times
Reputation: 2858
Teachers are a dime a dozen in the East. Yes, the pay is higher but that only makes the positions more competitive. They are union jobs that everyone wants. Here in PA, you have to know someone to get a teaching job. I know of one position that had 500 applicants. I've heard NY is just as competitive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2016, 06:55 PM
 
3,597 posts, read 1,527,009 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Stay out of the south if you're looking for decent teacher pay and healthy living. That narrows this down A LOT.

https://wallethub.com/edu/best-and-w...teachers/7159/

The 10 States That (Really) Pay Teachers the Most | TakePart
The South: Teacher pay, I generally agree. Healthy living: You're statement was too broad-brushing and not true. Though some areas are not the best in terms of health, most do well overall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2016, 09:20 PM
 
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
1,723 posts, read 1,138,882 times
Reputation: 1294
Quote:
Originally Posted by teacherLooking2Move View Post
I am a first year teacher currently living and working in Oklahoma. I moved back here two years ago to be by family but I can not afford to live beyond paycheck to paycheck on Oklahoma teacher salary, even with Oklahoma's low cost of living. I am wanting to move to another state that I can make enough to survive as a single parent without having to get a second job.

The following is what I am looking for with new place..

1- Decent teacher pay
2- Low cost of living
3- Country life but close to a city
4- great schools
5- low crime
6- I love to be active and be outdoors, such as hiking, so a place close to many outdoor activities is a must. Possibly by mountains.
7- I also would like to live somewhere that recycles and encourages a healthy lifestyle

Thank you for any suggestions and guidance on where to start looking would be great
Why not explore different areas of Colorado? Go on the Colorado forum and see what communities people recommend.
You might want to live in a resort area. People tend to be educated and tend to have a bit more wealth and care about good education, the environment, etc.. Crime tends to be lower. People care about their health and are active / athletic and high altitude living is good for you.
And if you can find a job in your field and a good little dwelling, it's good living.
You may have to sacrifice "close to a city" though.
Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2016, 12:44 PM
 
6,968 posts, read 14,093,325 times
Reputation: 4553
Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
The South: Teacher pay, I generally agree. Healthy living: You're statement was too broad-brushing and not true. Though some areas are not the best in terms of health, most do well overall.
True, but the combination of both is hard to find anywhere in the south.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top