Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 11:23 PM

62 posts, read 457,817 times

Advertisements

What do you all feel about potential 'water shortage' that we are already seeing/will see in the near future or in future generations?

Where do you think it will be most substancially noticed. For example, will consumers start paying ridiculous amount of money for food, after severe water restrictions are put on agricultural uses?...Is the price of water from your faucet going to skyrocket?....will they drain the Bellagio fountain?....other ideas???

I've read about this report that the EPA put out about their forecast for states that will be in serious trouble by 2013...I can't find a link for it...has anyone seen this report, or know where it's located?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2006, 11:38 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,961,236 times
I don't know of any links, but I lived in LV until June 05 and it's been in a drought for so long that Lake Mead has fallen to dangerously low levels and some predict that growth in Las Vegas will have to stop to match water availability, as well as the constant competition for water allotments from California and Arizona for the fresh water behind Hoover Dam. I know my water bill was expensive and many people were converting lawns to desert landscapes to cut their water usage. The water table under a good portion of the Plains states is in danger too, overdrawn and underreplenished in Nebraska, Kansas, Oklahoma and north-western Texas. There's fear that whole areas that depend on that aquifer will go dry. I think we have to manage the resource more intelligently and conserve where we can and use water wisely.

Old 11-24-2006, 02:11 PM

3,377 posts, read 14,582,289 times
I'm going to beat everyone else to it and blame it on the Republicans!

Old 11-24-2006, 02:20 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,713,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exhdo1 View Post
I'm going to beat everyone else to it and blame it on the Republicans!
A lot of water is wasted by everyone because of simple, everyday things like thick green grasses are a popular ground cover everywhere in North America. It's hard to keep them green when it turns hot, and even harder to keep them green when we insist on trimming them much shorter than they occur naturally. Lawns weren't made popular by the Republicans.

Where I live is generally cold and damp. We're surrounded by lakes and each one is about the size of New Jersey. Our only real water issue is possible pollution in my neck of the woods.

Last edited by ColdCanadian; 11-24-2006 at 02:30 PM..

Old 11-25-2006, 06:25 PM

4,494 posts, read 7,460,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
A lot of water is wasted by everyone because of simple, everyday things like thick green grasses are a popular ground cover everywhere in North America. It's hard to keep them green when it turns hot, and even harder to keep them green when we insist on trimming them much shorter than they occur naturally.
That's true. One only have to look into the southwest region to see the stupidity of green lawns in the desert. What a total waste.

Old 11-26-2006, 02:08 PM

3,377 posts, read 14,582,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
A lot of water is wasted by everyone because of simple, everyday things like thick green grasses are a popular ground cover everywhere in North America. It's hard to keep them green when it turns hot, and even harder to keep them green when we insist on trimming them much shorter than they occur naturally. Lawns weren't made popular by the Republicans.

Where I live is generally cold and damp. We're surrounded by lakes and each one is about the size of New Jersey. Our only real water issue is possible pollution in my neck of the woods.

I forgot to add the smilely face to my post. But I did want to be the first at something

Old 11-26-2006, 05:22 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,362,691 times
I'm admittedly not very well-read on the water shortage. I've heard of it and it's something that even prior to hearing warnings of, common sense should've dictated. Just driving through the parched desert southwest, dry and full of cactus, with little rain and little natural water and knowing that the area is the fastest-growing in the country with both Las Vegas and Phoenix growing at breakneck speeds, it doesn't take a rocket scientest (erm, water scientist?) to figure out that this is going to be a serious problem if trends continue.

I have read that in Las Vegas, they were paying homeowners to get rid of their grass and convert to the natural desert landscape, they were willing to pay by the amount of grass (square footage wise I guess) they replaced.

Old 11-26-2006, 06:51 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,713,794 times
Just say no to "low-flush" toilets; they don't work, at least for solids. (kidding)

I have heard about what some European countries use is toilets that use high pressure and very little water in a flush. This does make sense however. BTW has anyone here been on a cruise ship? Maybe that's like what they use in Europe.

Anways, there's a joke running around that it's flush causes a with such a high force and vacuum effect that men could lose a favorite body part or two if they flush while still sitting down.

I'll give them this; it is scary the first time you flush though.

Old 11-27-2006, 10:23 PM

919 posts, read 1,902,893 times
Default just make more water

i find this thread interesting, not long ago i posted that i thought this country was getting over populated using up alot of resourses, such as water. many replied we could easily handle millions more people. there may be alot of unused land but b ecause there is no water. the amount of water it takes to raise cattle is staggering. we keep expanding and then wonder why we dont have all the resourses to support the growth, water sewer power.

Old 11-28-2006, 01:25 PM

46 posts, read 258,831 times
This is why I invested in Power Shares Resourses (PHO). We won't run out of water, however. Water does not vanish, but it may become unusable in its current state. Huge de-salination plants will be built and those that can pay for it, will have water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.