U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2016, 08:48 PM

2,145 posts, read 3,035,059 times

Advertisements

So Tennessee is not the deep south, learn something new everyday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2016, 08:53 PM

3,145 posts, read 2,829,566 times
I only consider the Deep South to be La, Ms, Al, and Ga. New Orleans would be #1 or #2.

Old 04-24-2016, 08:59 PM
_OT

2,144 posts, read 1,522,608 times
Oh so now East Texas is considered deep south?

Old 04-24-2016, 09:01 PM

840 posts, read 2,540,209 times
Default Deep South Cities,

I have spent many days driving the Deep South and touring the different Cities while looking for a good place to invest in Rental Properties. I have also done extensive research on this subject. I have toured Alabama, Mississippi, Parts of Georgia, The Florida Pan Handle etc.
Right now as far as the different Metro Areas (Outside of Atlanta and New Orleans) of the deep South go I would nominate maybe Jacksonville, FL, Huntsville, Al, Columbus, Ga, Pensacola, Fl and maybe the area around Warner Robins, Ga. None of the Deep south areas are exactly what I would call Boom Towns. They just kind of Chug Along at a laid back deep south pace.

Old 04-24-2016, 09:04 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,227,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
I only consider the Deep South to be La, Ms, Al, and Ga. New Orleans would be #1 or #2.
South Carolina is also the Deep South.

Old 04-24-2016, 09:11 PM
_OT

2,144 posts, read 1,522,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd433 View Post
I have spent many days driving the Deep South and touring the different Cities while looking for a good place to invest in Rental Properties. I have also done extensive research on this subject. I have toured Alabama, Mississippi, Parts of Georgia, The Florida Pan Handle etc.
Right now as far as the different Metro Areas (Outside of Atlanta and New Orleans) of the deep South go I would nominate maybe Jacksonville, FL, Huntsville, Al, Columbus, Ga, Pensacola, Fl and maybe the area around Warner Robins, Ga. None of the Deep south areas are exactly what I would call Boom Towns. They just kind of Chug Along at a laid back deep south pace.
Jacksonville; and Huntsville above Birmingham?

Old 04-24-2016, 09:17 PM

18,633 posts, read 27,069,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
I don't know. Sometimes, when I hear people talk about East Texas, Houston is included while other times it is not.
It is rare that Houston is considered East Texas to most Texans. East Texas is mostly Tyler, Longview, Marshall, Paris, Texarkana, Lufkin, Nacogodoches, Silsbee, etc. Houston is usually placed in Southeast Texas, Gulfcoast, or a region on it's own. The Golden Triangle which is basically Beaumont, Port Arthur, and Orange is culturally different from Tyler and Lufkin areas well. As a matter of fact, this was a conversation on this forum.

Do you consider Houston a part of East Texas?

Old 04-24-2016, 09:18 PM

1,450 posts, read 877,222 times
Not including NC. Charleston and Greenville SC and Birmingham AL

Old 04-24-2016, 09:28 PM

18,633 posts, read 27,069,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
Oh so now East Texas is considered deep south?
East Texas is pretty much like the Panhandle of Florida.

Old 04-24-2016, 10:13 PM

7,583 posts, read 4,008,695 times
Per urban dictionary:

1.) The Deep South is a cultural and geographic subregion of the American South, differentiated from the "Old South" as being the post colonial expansion of Southern States in the antebellum period.

The core states of the deep south are:

Alabama
Georgia
Louisiana
Mississippi

The Carolinas and the rest are the Old South. I have never heard any native southerner use the expression "Deep South" to describe SC. When I hear it use I think of Al and MS and LA specifically, GA was a colony.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.