U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2016, 06:08 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,359,903 times

Advertisements

Augusta, GA. This city is always overlooked. It has a good-sized university with a medical school. The area also contains a major army base that has been selected as the military's cyber command hub.

Relatively nice downtown, world famous golf club (The Masters tourney) and a stone's throw from both Atlanta and Savannah.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2016, 06:16 AM

1,165 posts, read 1,444,167 times
I have a hard time classifying northern AL as the "deep south". As the southern terminus of the Appalachian chain it has far more in common with central/eastern TN and KY than it does with either Montgomery (which is probably the quintessential Deep South city) or the Gulf.

Old 04-25-2016, 08:09 AM

2,825 posts, read 3,270,484 times
SC is more Deep South than LA, a state with its own unique culture like TX that doesn't exactly scream southern. If you want the real Deep South, visit the Charleston/Savannah area (Lowcountry) or the Mississippi Delta. New Orleans is obviously southern but feels like another country, to be honest.

Old 04-25-2016, 08:46 AM

29,944 posts, read 27,386,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
SC is more Deep South than LA, a state with its own unique culture like TX that doesn't exactly scream southern.
I kinda have to disagree with that. While most of SC is coastal plain, practically all of LA is; SC does have foothills and mountains which are absent in LA. The Gullah/Geechee culture is a unique culture just like the Creole and Cajun cultures of LA, all of which are Southern at heart.

Quote:
If you want the real Deep South, visit the Charleston/Savannah area (Lowcountry) or the Mississippi Delta. New Orleans is obviously southern but feels like another country, to be honest.
I don't think Charleston and Savannah are representative of the Deep South today; they are attracting tons of transplants and are cultural standouts in several ways.

And NOLA is obviously a different beast, but no way would I say it feels like another country. It feels very much like the South to me, just with its own unique cultural hallmarks and oddities.

Old 04-25-2016, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd433 View Post
I have spent many days driving the Deep South and touring the different Cities while looking for a good place to invest in Rental Properties. I have also done extensive research on this subject. I have toured Alabama, Mississippi, Parts of Georgia, The Florida Pan Handle etc.
Right now as far as the different Metro Areas (Outside of Atlanta and New Orleans) of the deep South go I would nominate maybe Jacksonville, FL, Huntsville, Al, Columbus, Ga, Pensacola, Fl and maybe the area around Warner Robins, Ga. None of the Deep south areas are exactly what I would call Boom Towns. They just kind of Chug Along at a laid back deep south pace.
You're kidding, right? Look at the growth rates of Myrtle Beach, Charleston, Savannah, Wilmington, etc.

Old 04-26-2016, 04:29 AM

920 posts, read 1,016,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
No, Tennessee is not a deep south state. Memphis and much of southwestern TN is the exception to the rule, however.
The traditional profile of the white population in Tennessee is reflective of the Deep South's. As in disproportionately Protestant and not of diverse European heritage.

Old 04-26-2016, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceter View Post
The traditional profile of the white population in Tennessee is reflective of the Deep South's. As in disproportionately Protestant and not of diverse European heritage.
That's the case for native Whites in most of the South, Upper and Deep.

Old 04-26-2016, 06:08 AM

6,523 posts, read 7,465,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
No, Tennessee is not a deep south state. Memphis and much of southwestern TN is the exception to the rule, however.

I also live in TN, this post is correct. We consider Tennessee to be part of the upper south, just like North Carolina and Arkansas. Deep south states touch the ocean.

Old 04-26-2016, 06:49 AM

7,706 posts, read 4,569,470 times
I've always though of the Deep South as everything except VA and NC.

Old 04-26-2016, 06:50 AM

23,096 posts, read 35,044,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATUMRE75 View Post
You are 100% wrong! Tennessee is quintessentially deep south through and through.
Tennessee has always been considered the Middle South by the longtime families here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.