Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2016, 07:56 AM

6,312 posts, read 5,402,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I also live in TN, this post is correct. We consider Tennessee to be part of the upper south, just like North Carolina and Arkansas. Deep south states touch the ocean.
FYI....North Carolina definitely touches the ocean.

There are parts of NC; especially Eastern NC, that could easily be mistaken for being in Alabama or Mississippi.

I think the real cultural distinction in the south (and I know it's by far the strongest distinction in the state of NC) is "Appalachia" vs "Piedmont" vs "Coastal Plain". Some southern states have all three represented pretty well (VA, NC, SC, GA), some are dominated by Appalachia/Piedmont (WV, KY, TN, AK), some are dominated by Coastal Plain ( MS, AL, FL, LA, East TX). Culturally the distinctions lie more with those geographic distinctions more-so than state boundaries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2016, 08:30 AM

37,795 posts, read 41,491,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
FYI....North Carolina definitely touches the ocean.

There are parts of NC; especially Eastern NC, that could easily be mistaken for being in Alabama or Mississippi.

I think the real cultural distinction in the south (and I know it's by far the strongest distinction in the state of NC) is "Appalachia" vs "Piedmont" vs "Coastal Plain". Some southern states have all three represented pretty well (VA, NC, SC, GA), some are dominated by Appalachia/Piedmont (WV, KY, TN, AK), some are dominated by Coastal Plain ( MS, AL, FL, LA, East TX). Culturally the distinctions lie more with those geographic distinctions more-so than state boundaries.
I agree with this, but AL isn't dominated by coastal plain; it's almost the mirror image of Georgia topographically. Birmingham on up is quite hilly.

Using this map as a guide, I'd consider the Deep South to be the dark green portion of the South from the lower half of NC or so all the way to east Texas, excluding peninsular Florida.

Old 04-27-2016, 10:40 AM

1,719 posts, read 2,079,288 times
Birmingham or NOLA if we are talking about the core deep south (AL, LA, MS, GA).

Old 04-27-2016, 11:04 AM

2,426 posts, read 2,447,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoskillz View Post
Charlotte nc is bigger than atlanta within its city limits already

Memphis and (Nashville-Consolidated) are bigger than Atlanta within their City limits as well, Atlanta metro is just larger. If I had to go with Core deep south out side Atlanta, New Orleans all the way. Out side of that Nashville, Charlotte, Memphis and Jacksonville. In the Entire South out side of ATL, Nashville would be my winner Mid South/Deep South.

Old 04-27-2016, 02:55 PM

99 posts, read 115,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoskillz View Post
Charlotte nc is bigger than atlanta within its city limits already

Old 04-28-2016, 10:39 AM

1,907 posts, read 3,208,197 times
Huntsville, AL has been shining bright for a while. good economy and pleasant COL

Old 04-30-2016, 10:39 AM

7,827 posts, read 2,690,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I also live in TN, this post is correct. We consider Tennessee to be part of the upper south, just like North Carolina and Arkansas. Deep south states touch the ocean.
I am pretty much in agreement here. In the same way West TN is culturally the deep south, so is all of Eastern Arkansas. Little Rock has much in common with other deep southern cities although it seems to be a cross between deep south and upper south. Here is a good barometer to determine deep southern states, Any state that voted for George Wallace in the 1968 presidential election is the deep south, those include Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, and Arkansas.

Old 04-30-2016, 10:59 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,011,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taynxtlvl View Post
Huntsville, AL has been shining bright for a while. good economy and pleasant COL
Huntsville has a lot of promise. It's sort of like a small version of NC's Research Triangle area. I don't know that it would ever grow to the size of the Triangle though because it lacks the state's educational center and it's also not the seat of government.

Old 04-30-2016, 11:56 AM

7,827 posts, read 2,690,121 times
Here is map of the 1968 election by county. Anything in deep red is the deep south. Granted the south has come a long way since those days but this is really good data for this discussion.

Old 04-30-2016, 12:01 PM

10,106 posts, read 7,309,147 times
looks like NC and VA were more deep south than SC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.