U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2016, 04:59 PM

1,826 posts, read 1,249,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Just for the record, Americans aren't leaving the Northeast for the Deep South in large numbers. Here's the proportion of North easterners who moved to different Southern States in 2014 according to the Census.

Florida: 154,000
Virginia: 83,267
North Carolina: 62,254
Texas: 62,199
Georgia: 39,039
South Carolina: 34,386
Tennessee: 15,688
West Virginia: 13,199
Kentucky: 7,107
Louisiana: 7,069
Alabama: 7,061
Oklahoma: 5,552
Mississippi: 3,195
Arkansas: 2,899.

Total raw migration: 497,131

Note that only in the case of Virginia are over 30% of domestic migrants from the Northeast. This is because if you consider MD and DC part of the Northeast there's lots of natural "churn" as people move across the border in a given year. FL, WV, NC, SC, GA, and TN come next in ranked order regarding the ratio of northeastern domestic migrants.

However, migration is a two way street. Odd as it is to say, people do move from the Southeast to the Northeast all the time, albeit not in as large numbers. This can be for a host of reasons, from transplants who soured on it, to immigrants relocating elsewhere, to small-town southerners heading for the big city, to snowbirds having to move back home so their adult children can care for them. When you subtract out the domestic migrants headed north, the numbers are way less impressive:

Florida: 70,034
South Carolina: 19,788
Texas: 19,756
North Carolina: 16,991
Virginia: 14,410
Georgia: 8,494
West Virginia: 4,430
Tennessee: 3,518
Oklahoma: 1,517
Alabama: 1,396
Kentucky: 655
Arkansas: 414
Mississippi: -99
Louisiana: -657

Total net migration: 161,647

Most states are still positive. However, the amounts are cut by more than 60% for every state but South Carolina and Florida. Although there is no way to prove this statistically, a large proportion of the net migration is probably retiree based as well. Thus while it's true that there is a net outflow of people from the Northeast to almost all states in the South, it's demographically not an important portion of population growth in most southern states.
I personally think almost half a million people in one year is a "large number." Also, what definitions are you using for these regions? Including West Virginia but not DC and Maryland? I wonder what you are including, then, in the North here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2016, 07:50 PM

12,414 posts, read 11,913,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
I personally think almost half a million people in one year is a "large number." Also, what definitions are you using for these regions? Including West Virginia but not DC and Maryland? I wonder what you are including, then, in the North here
Yes, I included DC and MD in the Northeast, but not WV, as is the common understanding.

I didn't look at the North as a whole, just the Northeast, because that was the claim upthread.

Regardless, even if 500,000 people from the Northeast moved to the South, nearly 340,000 people moved from the South to the Northeast - which is why the net change was only around 160,000.

Old 04-26-2016, 08:56 PM

14,151 posts, read 19,749,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Anyway, on a more personal level, I could never imagine myself moving to most places in the South. Not so much for the politics - I'm far enough to the left that I hate the Democrats as being too conservative, so being in a right-wing state wouldn't phase me that much more. It's more two issues.

1. I absolutely hate hot weather. I liked it as a child, but at around age 20 I started sweating profusely whenever I exercised or the temperature was above 75 or so. I'm not talking pit stains, I'm talking about looking like I came out of a shower. In contrast, while snow can be a pain, being cold doesn't really bother me one bit, as long as it's above around 20 degrees and there's no wind.

2. I like old, walkable cities, and there aren't many in the south. If my wife really pushed, I could move to somewhere like Fauborg Marigny in retirement (presuming it's still affordable) despite the climate, as you can live an urban lifestyle in a single-story house there. I can't think of too many other places though. Maybe Savannah?
Everyone and their momma wishes the Marigny was still affordable.

Charleston too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or