U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2016, 10:31 PM

512 posts, read 377,378 times

Advertisements

Do you believe that social factors make a significant contribution to people's decision to move? Let me explain

It seems to me that many people will move for a job, a house and better weather. I think that explains very much why people are moving to Texas and NC. However one thing that I have noticed is that people seem to make a big deal about social issues (abortion, gay-marriage etc.) yet it seems to do little to change whether or not an area will grow or not.

Take Texas and NC for instance. Both states are booming. You can say whatever about them passing LGBT bills or whatever, but I doubt they will stop growing. People will move for simple reasons, they want a place they can afford in a decent area with decent weather. TX & NC are doing just that. People may be annoyed that they are not as liberal as the Northeast, but they seem to put up with it. Meanwhile Americans are leaving the Northeast to go down south which is far more conservative. Even Houston which is not the most liberal place has achieved much more diversity as a result of cheap houses than Austin has even though Austin is surely more progressive.

Looking at this trend I have to think then that people simply value their economic well-being far more than the social factors that we make a big deal about.

So give me your take...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2016, 10:35 PM

26 posts, read 17,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logicist027 View Post
Take Texas and NC for instance. Both states are booming. You can say whatever about them passing LGBT bills

So give me your take...
Texas hasn't passed one of those LGBT bills.

Old 04-23-2016, 11:59 PM

People were upset a while ago about Houston passing the same Bill NC just did about the bathrooms. But people are still going to move to Houston no doubt.

Old 04-24-2016, 11:11 AM

1,553 posts, read 717,117 times
I think you might be underselling social factors. Sure, Texas as a whole is growing, but Austin is by far the most so; Wichita Falls for example is actually shrinking. And other, more conservative Southern cities like Mobile and Jackson have pretty stagnant populations despite being touted as miracles of economic viability, including by conservative circle-jerk publication Forbes.

Old 04-24-2016, 11:30 AM

11,810 posts, read 18,813,738 times
The people moving to the South are moving to the progressive cities that are only getting more progressive as they grow. Certainly people representing a broad spectrum on the socially conservative to liberal scale but I see no evidence in how the cities are evolving as they grow that the conservatives are outnumbering the liberals. In fact, the evidence of voting patterns would suggest it's opposite.
The social and political tension in the South is a result of the widening gulf between the traditional rural & small towns and the rapidly growing cities in their respective states. IMO, the reason why there's more tension and political backlash in NC than in Mississippi is that NC has 2 rapidly growing and increasingly left leaning large metros that are widening the cultural gap with traditional Southern culture; Mississippi does not.

Old 04-24-2016, 11:33 AM

Austin is growing the most definitely. Social factors help its growth. But notice that all of the other cities are doing just fine as well. So yes I do believe that social factors help, but are not the biggest cause.

We can both name places that are conservative and doing well economically causing people to flock to it. I simply cannot think of a case where the opposite is true. The place is extremely liberal, but the economics are terrible, yet people continue to move in in droves. If it is true, it is much more rare.

Second. There is no serious argument that Mobile and Jackson are economically viable. They simply are not. We both know that the states of AR, LA, MS and AL are economic backwaters. Their largest cities are tiny. If they are beginning to grow, it is from an very low base.

Old 04-24-2016, 12:23 PM

8,452 posts, read 11,451,125 times
Quote:
I have to think then that people simply value their economic well-being far more than the social factors that we make a big deal about.
Some individuals, maybe, but not the savvy corporations who care about their public image. North Carolina and Mississippi have become pariahs in the media.

You have it backwards. Social factors of today matter to economic well-being. Bigotry is plainly bad for business.

Old 04-24-2016, 12:37 PM

18,638 posts, read 27,073,493 times
Quote:
People were upset a while ago about Houston passing the same Bill NC just did about the bathrooms. But people are still going to move to Houston no doubt.
Yeah but Dallas passed a similar law.

Old 04-24-2016, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Some individuals, maybe, but not the savvy corporations who care about their public image. North Carolina and Mississippi have become pariahs in the media.

You have it backwards. Social factors of today matter to economic well-being. Bigotry is plainly bad for business.
Do you want to bet on NC's decline. I would certainly take that bet! They will say things in the media, but people will keep moving there. Count on it!

Old 04-24-2016, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Yeah but Dallas passed a similar law.
Well you are helping to prove my point. Dallas is still growing despite the law.

People just seem to overlook this stuff in the long run. People who make unpopular laws will get a tongue lashing in the media. People will forget. Then if the economics are good, they will still keep going.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or