U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 01:37 PM

4,988 posts, read 7,303,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkozlow3 View Post
For the 6 days a year it isn't cloudy and/or raining you mean?
Um, during the Summer Seattle easily goes weeks if not months without rain/clouds....
So idk what you're talking about, but....ok?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2016, 01:38 PM

21,318 posts, read 21,867,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger-f View Post
Type "how many lakes in FL" on Google..see what it says.. also MN has no other bodies of water(it can't possibly have a bluer sky based on your theory because it's land locked (the Atlantic/Gulf of MX have massive amounts of water) . As I said HI would be a candidate for the bluest skies too or FL. Gotta love CD scientists..

Your theory:

>>pure lakes reflect the shorter blue refracted wavelengths from the sunlight hitting the water, and the resulting reflection back up into the atmospheric water droplets

your obviously counting the thousand of sink holes in Florida filled with brackish water

Old 04-28-2016, 02:08 PM

1,750 posts, read 1,629,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
your obviously counting the thousand of sink holes in Florida filled with brackish water
I'm not counting nothing.. that's what the article said(call them and correct them.) They are probably counting retention ponds, those reflect light too.

How many lakes are in Florida? - tribunedigital-orlandosentinel

http://www.floridapondcleaning.com/w...-Company21.jpg

Old 04-28-2016, 04:22 PM

1,770 posts, read 2,136,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkozlow3 View Post
Agree.

I get the sense that many of the people that have posted in this thread are not that well-traveled or have not lived in very many places.

The Southwest in general, has much bluer skies than most of the nation, and I've lived in several states. I've spent 9 of the past 11 years in Colorado, and on a clear day, I don't think it gets much bluer than here. Part of the reason for this is that most Colorado cities are 5000-10000 feet in elevation. Higher elevation = less atmosphere = clearer skies and stronger sun.

I've not lived in other areas of the Southwest (only visited), but most of the Southwest is far bluer than anything I've ever seen back East. I lived in Florida for a couple of years, and there is no comparison when comparing "blueness". Florida was blue on clear days, but not often a DEEP blue like the Southwest.

Just my $.02
Agree. I'd spent 16 years traveling the country on business. I've been to 44 states, flying over a million miles from Pacific to Atlantic, Mexico to Canada. I have a very good friend that used to brag about "Carolina Blue". Carolina can have some fantastic skies, but in all my years I've never experienced the kind of deep, deep blue we can have here. Just my $.01

Old 04-28-2016, 04:35 PM

4,552 posts, read 3,633,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
first off, I'm practically a scientist. Secondly, because of the amount of lakes in Minnesota and how these numerous pure lakes reflect the shorter blue refracted wavelengths from the sunlight hitting the water, and the resulting reflection back up into the atmospheric water droplets, we end up with a bluer sky than anywhere in the world with the possible exception of the North Pole.

actual sky color right now...

The photo won't load?

Old 04-28-2016, 05:06 PM

1,303 posts, read 3,596,528 times
3 photos in this whole thread? Useless text posts. Come on people post some pics!

Old 04-28-2016, 05:28 PM

145 posts, read 337,714 times
Far too cloudy/crappy to post anything from Colorado today unfortunately!

Old 04-28-2016, 05:35 PM

4,552 posts, read 3,633,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdy1985 View Post
3 photos in this whole thread? Useless text posts. Come on people post some pics!
I know! That's why I posted my Sedona pictures!

There were a couple others I wanted to upload but they kept saying the dimensions were too large, even after I cropped it.

Saguaro National Park by me:
Attached Thumbnails
bluest skies in the united states-image.jpeg  

Old 04-28-2016, 05:51 PM

1,110 posts, read 907,693 times
Arizona

Old 04-28-2016, 07:00 PM

5,405 posts, read 2,813,304 times
We recently went to AZ. When we were in northern AZ, I said, "I haven't seen skies this blue since we lived in CO." I miss those clear, clear, intense blues.

We live in western WA now. NO WAY does even the very best blue sky here equal those in the arid and semi-arid southwest. Absolutely not. And we are right near the water, not in a big city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.