U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does anything remotely resembling Utopia exisit in the United States?
Absolutely! (Please share below or in a private message.) 3 10.00%
You're kidding, right? No. 19 63.33%
Somewhere. Maybe. Hopefully. Let us all know when you find it. 6 20.00%
Other 2 6.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 11:49 AM

4,060 posts, read 4,485,604 times

Advertisements

Delaware has quite humid summers. Fort Collins is worth a look, but it ain't cheap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadichabit View Post

Thank you for the thoughtful reply! I need to prioritize safety, so the crime and fires are worrisome. I hear you on everything else, though.
The...fires? Not that Eugene is immune to fires, and certainly as the drought in the west continues it could become a thing, but it really hasn't been a thing thus far. And if it were to become one, the easy solution is just not to live in the south hills. Problem solved.

The issue with Eugene and fires has been that smoke from the Cascades and to a lesser extent the coastal range can collect in the valley air and not enough summer rain to wash it out.

If you didn't want to leave Ohio I'd just say you should live in Oberlin in a house with A/C. It's not in the snowbelt, it's compact, and while the town has some issues, it has pretty much everything you're looking for. Nice library, cool old post office, bike trail, etc. Fairly moderate winters for the northern half of the country, and fairly moderate summers compared to anywhere in the southern half.

And while local sports aren't much to shake a stick at, nearby in Cleveland you have an NBA team and a semi-pro football team.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2016, 10:28 AM

5,627 posts, read 3,978,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm not a cookie View Post
haha I feel like this is a never ending battle that everyone from Phoenix has to explain to people on here who aren't from the west.
Its true, though. When people see 95 degrees, they freak out. When they see 110 degrees, they think its impossible to survive. But what they dont understand is that 95 degrees in Phoenix feels like maybe 82 in Florida. Just take out all the humidity and drop the dew point way down and it feels completely comfy.

Old 04-29-2016, 10:37 AM

2,701 posts, read 1,000,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Its true, though. When people see 95 degrees, they freak out. When they see 110 degrees, they think its impossible to survive. But what they dont understand is that 95 degrees in Phoenix feels like maybe 82 in Florida. Just take out all the humidity and drop the dew point way down and it feels completely comfy.
Even dry, 95 is hot. Grew up in the Valley in L.A., and those were our summer highs. Once you get in the 90s, it's not comfortable just because it's dry.

EDIT: Phoenix actually has a higher summer Heat Index (97.7) (which takes into account humidity to tell you how hot the city actually feels) than the Miami/Ft. Lauderdale metro area (92.0).

http://www.bertsperling.com/2013/07/...ew-heat-index/

Last edited by Valhallian; 04-29-2016 at 10:58 AM..

Old 04-29-2016, 11:41 AM

8,452 posts, read 11,508,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadichabit View Post
Okay! I'm game to hear your suggestions. My budget could expand that much depending on the other criteria. If all other points are met, I can travel less, look for a smaller space, and be more flexible budget-wise.
Maybe Palm Springs, CA:Palm Springs, CA Real Estate & Homes for Sale - realtor.com®
Or Lompoc, CA:
150 Oak Hill Dr, Lompoc, CA 93436 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

Old 05-01-2016, 01:41 PM

517 posts, read 379,858 times
Yup it exists. It's called San Luis Obispo

Other than that, if you can afford it - California coast. Any of the three major cities will do. You can even do Sacramento and I have heard that it is just fine. To some degree I think that you are asking for an oxymoron in that a place to be both desirable and cheap. That would only be true if it was some unknown place in Mississippi. If any person could tell you about it, then it would have to be someplace where people wouldn't want to give it a shot (like Mississippi)

Old 05-01-2016, 07:25 PM

3,111 posts, read 2,152,104 times
I thought Utopia was a place that occurred both in Texas and Ohio?

In all seriousness though, places that meet most of your criteria will tend to fail in one big one, cost of living. This is because when a place offers all the items on your list, people tend to flock there and prices go through the roof and crime goes up. So no place can achieve all of those criteria all at the same time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.