U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 11:37 AM

1,228 posts, read 973,041 times

Advertisements

If you want no income tax, no sales tax and lower property taxes Carroll County would probably have the lowest tax burden.

Anywhere else in NH you might be better off living in Maine but close to the NH border if you make less than 60k so you can benefit from Maine's lower property taxes and still shop in NH and have no sales tax.

Last edited by joeyg2014; 04-27-2016 at 11:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2016, 12:03 PM

7,991 posts, read 16,045,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
You might take a look at New London CT. and the surrounding area, like Groton, Norwich, Colchester and the like which are all, IIRC, in New London County. The city itself is small, maybe 30,000 or so, but the metro area is around a quarter million or so. Housing prices are reasonable there, and there are job opportunities at a few big employers like the Coast Guard Academy, Pfizer, Connecticut College, and General Dynamics, though BLS shows an unemployment rate at 6.3% -- somewhat higher than the national average.

But much of the area is just plain New England cute. You get the older homes, fall foliage, you're near the water (the river is the Thames), and you're not too far from LI Sound beaches, or bigger cities like Providence, Hartford, New Haven, Boston or NYC. Now I haven't been there in several years, so maybe ask in the CT forums if it's still as I remember it. But I think it's worth checking out.
As a family of Mystic Aquarium passholders, I'd agree. I love that region (especially Stonington/Mystic) and New London itself has a lot going for it.

The Providence area or the South Coast of MA might work. Check out Warren, RI which is, in my opinion, one of the best values as far as up and coming/underrated towns go. It's sandwiched between affluent Barrington, and charming Bristol (which also isn't a bad choice) along the water, with a walkable downtown (Bristol also has an outstanding downtown). The restaurants in Warren and Bristol are excellent and include some James Beard nominees (Providence itself has outstanding dining and is close by). As far as being on the water and having an abundance of amenities nearby, you can't beat Warren. Westport, MA is quieter but also provides pretty good value. Same for Tiverton, RI.

The NH/ Southern Maine Coast (Portsmouth/Kittery area) is a good suggestion too. You may have to look harder (or move a few miles from the coast) to find the best value, but Portsmouth is a gem and Boston's not far and the northern 'burbs/128 belt is doable for work.

Old 04-27-2016, 12:52 PM

2,182 posts, read 1,352,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
The NH/ Southern Maine Coast (Portsmouth/Kittery area) is a good suggestion too. You may have to look harder (or move a few miles from the coast) to find the best value, but Portsmouth is a gem and Boston's not far and the northern 'burbs/128 belt is doable for work.
Southern Maine to the 128 belt would be a horrible commute. Unless you can endure an hour and a half commute each way I would not recommend this. Also putting that many miles on your car will cost alot in the long term and offset some of the price difference between Maine and Massachusetts real estate. Southern NH into northern mass is much more doable. However in this instance you would still pay Mass income taxes while subsequently paying the higher property taxes that New Hampshire has. Boston area salaries do tend to be slightly higher however.

Old 04-27-2016, 01:21 PM

11,810 posts, read 18,790,027 times
The East Coast is more than just the Northeast and beautiful Fall colors happen in many parts of the East... again, not just the Northeast.
The OP could broaden the search to the entire Appalachian range and areas to its east and west. If fall colors are paramount, avoid looking in the coastal plain from the Tidewater of Virginia southward along the Atlantic Coast or along the Gulf Coast.

Old 04-27-2016, 01:27 PM

56,507 posts, read 80,803,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
The East Coast is more than just the Northeast and beautiful Fall colors happen in many parts of the East... again, not just the Northeast.
The OP could broaden the search to the entire Appalachian range and areas to its east and west. If fall colors are paramount, avoid looking in the coastal plain from the Tidewater of Virginia southward along the Atlantic Coast or along the Gulf Coast.
I think the OP is from the Wilmington NC area. So, I'm wondering if it is a matter of feel or just wanting a change.

I will say that the further inland in the Northeast, generally speaking, the overall COL is lower.

Old 04-27-2016, 01:45 PM

7,991 posts, read 16,045,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
Southern Maine to the 128 belt would be a horrible commute. Unless you can endure an hour and a half commute each way I would not recommend this. Also putting that many miles on your car will cost alot in the long term and offset some of the price difference between Maine and Massachusetts real estate. Southern NH into northern mass is much more doable. However in this instance you would still pay Mass income taxes while subsequently paying the higher property taxes that New Hampshire has. Boston area salaries do tend to be slightly higher however.
I work with a number of people who commute from York/Kittery/Berwick/Portsmouth to Boston daily (usually coach bus from Portsmouth, but some drive to Newburyport for the commuter rail). I wouldn't recommend that. Nor would I recommend commuting to the northern suburbs of Boston from anything beyond York. However, places like Burlington, Reading, Woburn, Danvers, are between 45 minutes and an hour and 15 from many of the northern 128 belt offices. While traffic on 128 sucks, it's still not as bad as 93 closer to the city. I wouldn't recommend planning on a Southern ME- 128 commute. I'd focus my job search on the Portsmouth (or even Portland) area; but it's a safety net should employment be harder to find in the immediate Portsmouth area or there's a layoff, etc.

Old 04-27-2016, 02:00 PM

21,180 posts, read 30,336,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilfield Wife23 View Post
Hello everyone! I know there are somewhat similar threads out there and a lot of people post a "where should we move" scenario, but if you will bare with me, I will be brief. I am obsessed with the East Coast and have loved every place I have traveled, but there are things that only locals and "long-timers" know that can keep me from moving somewhere that only seems nice at a glance. I am looking to move to the New England area, preferably, but am open to most any city in that general realm. I need it to be affordable (I rent), have at least a little job market, city must not be too small, 100k population or more is ideal. But here is my kicker, I have two large and wonderful rescue dogs, my dream is to give them a yard. We have lived inner-city for years and my babies have never enjoyed the feel of their own lawn and playing outside in a private setting and I really want to give this to them. I need to be able to rent a small house (or townhouse or whatever, I really only need one bedroom) with a yard.

What is your most beloved East Coast city? One more big must, but is really a given in New England, MUST have gorgeous fall colors. Would love to hear ideas and stories

Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
I agree with rnc2mbfl, you might consider as a dark horse someplace like the Wilmington DE area, specifically the SW suburbs around Pike Creek and Arundel which offer nice places to live with yard space, safe neighborhoods and a metro area population of around 550K.

Old 04-29-2016, 08:52 AM

56,507 posts, read 80,803,243 times
Parts of PA may work as well.

Old 04-29-2016, 10:26 AM

3,399 posts, read 4,797,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
The East Coast, outside of its major cities, is overpriced and overrated
Bah humbug! Lol!

Old 04-30-2016, 11:56 AM

679 posts, read 462,982 times
Providence, and most of Rhode Island, is affordable for renters... not so much for homeowners. from what I hear property taxes can be high. I rent so I don't know first hand. RI is a great location in itself, but its also easy to get to Boston, NY and all the other great locations in NE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or