U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-26-2016, 11:30 AM
 
56 posts, read 56,464 times
Reputation: 22

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
I've posted on several other state/city forums but am still looking for some answers. I know there is no perfect place to live, but I think my family and I are ready for a change. We are from CT but currently live in KS. I won't go into details of what I like and don't like about these 2 places. But likes/dislikes/hobbies/career necessities have changed over the last few years, so now we are looking for somewhere that fits our needs better. Here is what we are looking for....

1) Need to be within an hour or so of a major US airport. My husband travels a lot for work.
2) Great schools for our 2 daughters ages 7 and 10. Especially high school. Willing to go private if not too expensive (less than 18,000/yr for both kids COMBINED.)
3) Home with some land so that we can have a garden and some chickens and maybe an extra outbuilding we can add.
4) We are ok with 4 seasons as long as the winter is more mild than the Northeast. Done with massive amounts of snow like in New England (so the Northeast is out!) Would be ok with hot all year.
5) Love hiking and fishing. So some mountains and river fishing is a must! Skiing is a plus.

I think that's pretty much it. Thanks in advance for your time and input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-26-2016, 11:56 AM
 
3,626 posts, read 1,540,952 times
Reputation: 3039
The western suburbs of Charlotte (where I live) would be good. We can see Crowder's Mnt. from our neighborhood. It's (the mnt.) in a state park 5 minutes from our house and is over 5k acres. It is in the city limits of the city I live in (Gastonia), yet you feel you're in the middle of nowhere (totally awesome). Miles and miles of trails, a big lake, and nature center. Our middle son takes our dog for a hike up the mountain 2-3 times a week. There's another SP (Kings Mnt.) that connects to it and it's over 6k acres. The U.S. National Whitewater Center is 15-20 minutes away in Charlotte (700 acres). Whitewater rapids when the Olympic team trains, tons of trails, zip lines, kayaking on the Catawba River, gift shop, very nice restaurant. Downtown Charlotte is 25-30 minutes away and the airport (7th busiest in the nation) is 25 minutes away. In this part of the metro area, you can get some acreage on the outskirts of towns at a decent price that's not too far from I-85. We average about 6" of snow per year. The climate is great (sunny and 78, with our windows open right now). Schools are good. We loved Kings Mnt. HS (our 4 kids are young adults now 20-25). We have Lake Norman, Lake Wylie, Moss Lake, Catawba River, and South Fork River for fishing/boating/kayaking. Lake Lure is not far and really nice too. Skiing in Boone is 1.5 hours away. We absolutely love it here and don't plan on leaving. We never run out of things to do. Hope this helps a little. Good luck in your search!

Last edited by march2; 04-26-2016 at 12:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2016, 02:03 PM
 
56 posts, read 56,464 times
Reputation: 22
Thank you so much for all this info! Sounds like a great place! Would you mind telling me which zip codes you think I should look into? Again, thank you so much for your response!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2016, 02:15 PM
 
3,626 posts, read 1,540,952 times
Reputation: 3039
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritamiller9 View Post
Thank you so much for all this info! Sounds like a great place! Would you mind telling me which zip codes you think I should look into? Again, thank you so much for your response!
28052 & 28086. If you get to the point you'd like to look into the area further, our daughter is a real estate agent. I could give you her number. Just message me. If you'd like to look on your own, that's fine too. Good luck wherever you and your family lands.

Last edited by march2; 04-26-2016 at 02:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2016, 02:32 PM
 
3,626 posts, read 1,540,952 times
Reputation: 3039
View of Crowder's Mnt. From Our Neighborhood


A View of the Charlotte Skyline 28 Miles Away From Crowder's Mnt. Summit
http://hikingthecarolinas.com/crowders/charlotte.jpg

The Summit
http://www.pbfingers.com/wp-content/...tain_thumb.jpg

U.S. National Whitewater Center in Charlotte
http://www.visitnc.com/contents/imgc...00/480/preview

http://liquiddesign.net/liquid/wp-co...b-USNWC_18.jpg

http://usnwc.org/wp-content/uploads/..._2000x8001.jpg

http://usnwc.org/wp-content/uploads/...r_2000x800.jpg

http://aaronbowenphotography.com/wp-...-Edit-Edit.jpg

http://cdn.c.photoshelter.com/img-ge...r-Fall-039.jpg

Lake Lure
http://www.townoflakelure.com/myimages/sailingbcox.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2016, 02:35 PM
 
56,705 posts, read 81,017,273 times
Reputation: 12544
Maybe the northern suburbs/exurbs of Atlanta as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2016, 10:35 PM
 
Location: Pittsburgh
3,145 posts, read 2,831,940 times
Reputation: 2858
Charlotte? Crowders is one hill. Charlotte is flat as a pancake. When I lived there I had to drive almost 2 hours to get to decent hiking. The water is also super red with clay. Look for a place closer to the Mountains. The water is clear up in the mountains. Try Greenville (SC) or Northern GA. There is skiing in TN and VA. Actually Tenn would be less humid as well. The heat in Charlotte is terrible in the summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2016, 04:19 PM
 
3,626 posts, read 1,540,952 times
Reputation: 3039
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
Charlotte? Crowders is one hill. Charlotte is flat as a pancake. When I lived there I had to drive almost 2 hours to get to decent hiking. The water is also super red with clay. Look for a place closer to the Mountains. The water is clear up in the mountains. Try Greenville (SC) or Northern GA. There is skiing in TN and VA. Actually Tenn would be less humid as well. The heat in Charlotte is terrible in the summer.
I live here, blue. Have for 50 years. I think I know a tad (just a tad) more about this area; go figure, lol. You're dead wrong. When you lived here, you obviously weren't looking (a "hill", lol). And, nope, Charlotte isn't "flat as a pancake". Awesome! Perfect record. To be so off in your assessment, you've clearly got an ax to grind for whatever reason. So, there you go
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2016, 05:53 PM
 
Location: Pittsburgh
3,145 posts, read 2,831,940 times
Reputation: 2858
Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
I live here, blue. Have for 50 years. I think I know a tad (just a tad) more about this area; go figure, lol. You're dead wrong. When you lived here, you obviously weren't looking (a "hill", lol). And, nope, Charlotte isn't "flat as a pancake". Awesome! Perfect record. To be so off in your assessment, you've clearly got an ax to grind for whatever reason. So, there you go
I just know the difference between the mountains and flatlands. Stating a fact.

Flat:


That is Charlotte in the distance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2016, 06:19 PM
 
Location: TOVCCA
8,452 posts, read 11,458,009 times
Reputation: 12309
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritamiller9 View Post
1) Need to be within an hour or so of a major US airport. My husband travels a lot for work.
2) Great schools for our 2 daughters ages 7 and 10. Especially high school. Willing to go private if not too expensive (less than 18,000/yr for both kids COMBINED.)
3) Home with some land so that we can have a garden and some chickens and maybe an extra outbuilding we can add.
4) We are ok with 4 seasons as long as the winter is more mild than the Northeast. Done with massive amounts of snow like in New England (so the Northeast is out!) Would be ok with hot all year.
5) Love hiking and fishing. So some mountains and river fishing is a must! Skiing is a plus.
Budget? Renting or buying?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top