U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 05-02-2016, 03:25 PM
 
Location: Boston, MA
8,785 posts, read 7,721,704 times
Reputation: 7699

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
He's fails at basic geography when he said Pittsburgh is not Northeast because it's not on the East Coast.

That's 101 text book of someone who lives in an East Coast Elitest bubble and again fails at geography.
I'm from Cleveland.

You're the elitist who thinks the east is better. That's why you take it as an insult when I state correctly that you're delusional. Get a grip bro. Seriously.

 
Old 05-02-2016, 03:43 PM
 
4,881 posts, read 4,863,369 times
Reputation: 7334
Many parts of the "Rustbelt" will (in time) be desirable for several reasons:

From Rust Belt to Blue Belt: Water, Climate Change, and the Reordering of Urban America I The Hampton Institute
 
Old 05-02-2016, 09:55 PM
 
2,601 posts, read 4,079,505 times
Reputation: 2275
I copied this from another thread, but it's interesting, the overlap between regions. If anyone tries to deny this, well, they're probably just a homer.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/17/op...rica.html?_r=0
 
Old 05-03-2016, 04:04 AM
 
7,746 posts, read 4,595,731 times
Reputation: 8461
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
I copied this from another thread, but it's interesting, the overlap between regions. If anyone tries to deny this, well, they're probably just a homer.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/17/op...rica.html?_r=0
You post a map that puts the Mexican and Canadian borders in the same region as evidence that Pittsburgh is in the Midwest. Gotcha
 
Old 05-03-2016, 06:25 AM
 
Location: Northeast Suburbs of PITTSBURGH
3,735 posts, read 3,584,255 times
Reputation: 2331
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
Don't be so insecure. My point still stands.
It has nothing to do with insecurity. It's fully the fact you are wrong. Pittsburgh is an interior northeastern city. Outside of the fact Pittsburgh's economic WAS fully based on industry (not to mention many northeastern cities were as well), Pittsburgh shares very little if anything in common with 95% of the midwest.
 
Old 05-03-2016, 07:12 AM
 
Location: Boston, MA
8,785 posts, read 7,721,704 times
Reputation: 7699
Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
It has nothing to do with insecurity. It's fully the fact you are wrong. Pittsburgh is an interior northeastern city. Outside of the fact Pittsburgh's economic WAS fully based on industry (not to mention many northeastern cities were as well), Pittsburgh shares very little if anything in common with 95% of the midwest.
I'll ask my friends here in Boston how they label Pittsburgh.

My hypothesis : anything but "northeastern". I've literally only heard people from Pittsburgh claim they are northeastern. Not a hybrid kind of city, that I agree with. Pittsburgh is very much like Cleveland in that regard. I have never heard anyone call the northeast: boston/new England, New York, and Pittsburgh. That's not a thing.
 
Old 05-03-2016, 07:15 AM
 
7,746 posts, read 4,595,731 times
Reputation: 8461
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
I'll ask my friends here in Boston how they label Pittsburgh.

My hypothesis : anything but "northeastern". I've literally only heard people from Pittsburgh claim they are northeastern. Not a hybrid kind of city, that I agree with. Pittsburgh is very much like Cleveland in that regard. I have never heard anyone call the northeast: boston/new England, New York, and Pittsburgh. That's not a thing.
Ask someone from Chicago where Pittsburgh is.

At 26% Catholic, Pittsburgh is tied with Boston and New York for most Catholic city in the US. During the great migration, black people came to Pittsburgh from Virginia, the Carolinas and Georgia. That's the same migratory pattern as other northeastern cities. Black people from Alabama, Mississippi, Tennesseee and Arkansas migrated to the Midwest. It is in a Northeastern State and was part of the original 13 colonies. The US census bureau puts it in the northeast.

If your only argument is "it's close to Ohio" then you don't have an argument.

Last edited by gladhands; 05-03-2016 at 07:27 AM..
 
Old 05-03-2016, 07:59 AM
 
5,805 posts, read 8,575,914 times
Reputation: 3051
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
I'll ask my friends here in Boston how they label Pittsburgh.

My hypothesis : anything but "northeastern". I've literally only heard people from Pittsburgh claim they are northeastern. Not a hybrid kind of city, that I agree with. Pittsburgh is very much like Cleveland in that regard. I have never heard anyone call the northeast: boston/new England, New York, and Pittsburgh. That's not a thing.


Now I know understand how Donald Trump is about to become President
 
Old 05-03-2016, 08:03 AM
 
2,167 posts, read 1,470,833 times
Reputation: 2176
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post

Pittsburgh is in no way a northeast or east coast city. At all. You are 130 miles from Cleveland and 300 miles from Philadelphia. You are the one who has an elitist attitude. Stop being ridiculous. I mean, dude, you're actually closer to Detroit than Philly. Indianapolis is only like 50 miles further from Pittsburgh than Philly. Wake up.
Stop dude, you are just ridiculuous. It is a northeastern city by all measures - geographical, census, history, etc. if you make a blatantly false statement like that, everyone can see your agenda (although to understand it is something else completely). Just because you don't want to understand that the northeast US includes more than the I95 corridor, you are willing to be outed as a troll.
 
Old 05-03-2016, 08:07 AM
 
2,167 posts, read 1,470,833 times
Reputation: 2176
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Ask someone from Chicago where Pittsburgh is.

At 26% Catholic, Pittsburgh is tied with Boston and New York for most Catholic city in the US. During the great migration, black people came to Pittsburgh from Virginia, the Carolinas and Georgia. That's the same migratory pattern as other northeastern cities. Black people from Alabama, Mississippi, Tennesseee and Arkansas migrated to the Midwest. It is in a Northeastern State and was part of the original 13 colonies. The US census bureau puts it in the northeast.

If your only argument is "it's close to Ohio" then you don't have an argument.
and it's the same one who laughs outrageously at Louisville claiming to be midwestern!?!? Louisville is RIGHT ON THE BORDER of the official midwest, not even a half mile away. The Louisville urban area and MSA include the geographical midwest. and probably can be said to have many more midwestern traits than southern because of it's heritage and development patterns.

In comparison, Pittsburgh's city center is about 80 times as far away from the nearest officially midwestern town (Steubenville - 39 miles). The guy is just being a troll.

and he is also completely derailing the OP's thread with his childish nonsense. it's not a surprise, he's from Cleveland. probably has a chip on his shoulder due to long-gone rivalries.

Last edited by _Buster; 05-03-2016 at 08:43 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top