U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2016, 08:39 AM

3,723 posts, read 3,577,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
I'll ask my friends here in Boston how they label Pittsburgh.

My hypothesis : anything but "northeastern". I've literally only heard people from Pittsburgh claim they are northeastern. Not a hybrid kind of city, that I agree with. Pittsburgh is very much like Cleveland in that regard. I have never heard anyone call the northeast: boston/new England, New York, and Pittsburgh. That's not a thing.
Okay jimmy. Let's ask gladhands. He's from New York City and now lives in the east end of Pittsburgh now, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Ask someone from Chicago where Pittsburgh is.

At 26% Catholic, Pittsburgh is tied with Boston and New York for most Catholic city in the US. During the great migration, black people came to Pittsburgh from Virginia, the Carolinas and Georgia. That's the same migratory pattern as other northeastern cities. Black people from Alabama, Mississippi, Tennesseee and Arkansas migrated to the Midwest. It is in a Northeastern State and was part of the original 13 colonies. The US census bureau puts it in the northeast.

If your only argument is "it's close to Ohio" then you don't have an argument.
Hmm.

Old 05-03-2016, 09:00 AM

3,963 posts, read 3,498,160 times
This ceased to be about the topic at hand pages ago. If you all want to debate the Regional identity of Pittsburgh please do so in it's own thread.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or