U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 04-27-2016, 12:11 PM
 
7,735 posts, read 4,581,276 times
Reputation: 8440

Advertisements

None of this matters, because Pittsburgh is not the Midwest.

 
Old 04-27-2016, 12:13 PM
 
Location: St. Louis
2,480 posts, read 2,229,673 times
Reputation: 2353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye614 View Post
Debatable
Cleveland (making a comeback but not sure if there is a ton of population growth in city limits)
Cincinnati (Not sure where to categorize Cincy)
Cleveland is seeing improvements in its city proper, and that's great, but the comeback kid it is not. The city itself, and its MSA, have been declining in terms of population for decades. They are both still declining today.

Cincinnati, however, has been posting growth.
 
Old 04-27-2016, 12:14 PM
 
Location: St. Louis
2,480 posts, read 2,229,673 times
Reputation: 2353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
Chicago is as much a mess as it's ever been. They say bankruptcy will befall the city come next recession. It hasn't graduated out of anything.
1) Chicago's pension crisis isn't tied to a Rust Belt background.
2) Chicago, as the law currently stands, can't declare bankruptcy.
 
Old 04-27-2016, 12:39 PM
 
Location: Florida
2,233 posts, read 1,514,463 times
Reputation: 1861
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
1) Chicago's pension crisis isn't tied to a Rust Belt background.
2) Chicago, as the law currently stands, can't declare bankruptcy.
Nothing is immune to bankruptcy. Laws can change. Most of those pensions are tied to an era when Chicago was a manufacturing city.
 
Old 04-27-2016, 01:01 PM
 
Location: St. Louis
2,480 posts, read 2,229,673 times
Reputation: 2353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
Nothing is immune to bankruptcy. Laws can change. Most of those pensions are tied to an era when Chicago was a manufacturing city.
Actually the pension issues are tied to actions that occurred over the last couple of decades. Chicago's manufacturing heyday was long since over, and the city had already diversified its economy. The pensions in harms way belong to police officers, firefighters, school teachers, city employees, etc, not factory workers.

Chicago going bankrupt also doesn't fix the state's financial woes as Illinois can't go bankrupt under federal law. We're far more like to see the state's government and Chicago put forward pension fixing pieces of legislation that will comply with the Illinois constitution before we see the legislature let Chicago declare bankruptcy and say, "**** it."
 
Old 04-27-2016, 01:39 PM
 
Location: Cincinnati (Norwood)
3,514 posts, read 3,968,032 times
Reputation: 1858
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
Cleveland is seeing improvements in its city proper, and that's great, but the comeback kid it is not. The city itself, and its MSA, have been declining in terms of population for decades. They are both still declining today.

Cincinnati, however, has been posting growth.
Yes. In 2015, while Cleveland lost population in its city proper, MSA, and CSA, Cincinnati gained population in all three.
 
Old 04-28-2016, 04:00 PM
 
Location: Florida
2,233 posts, read 1,514,463 times
Reputation: 1861
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
Actually the pension issues are tied to actions that occurred over the last couple of decades. Chicago's manufacturing heyday was long since over, and the city had already diversified its economy. The pensions in harms way belong to police officers, firefighters, school teachers, city employees, etc, not factory workers.

Chicago going bankrupt also doesn't fix the state's financial woes as Illinois can't go bankrupt under federal law. We're far more like to see the state's government and Chicago put forward pension fixing pieces of legislation that will comply with the Illinois constitution before we see the legislature let Chicago declare bankruptcy and say, "**** it."
People said the same thing about Detroit, that it could never happen, and it did.
 
Old 04-28-2016, 04:11 PM
 
Location: St. Louis
2,480 posts, read 2,229,673 times
Reputation: 2353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
People said the same thing about Detroit, that it could never happen, and it did.
Where did I say never?

The facts are that the law is different in Illinois than it is in Michigan. Detroit could file for bankruptcy, but Chicago cannot. It has to be approved by the Illinois legislature and the governor. Such a plan is currently not on the table, but attempts to overhaul the pension system both for Chicago and the state of Illinois are. It is far more likely that both entities will continue to find a legislative solution, that is legal under the Illinois constitution, rather than allowing for Chicago to declare bankruptcy. As for the state of Illinois itself, it would need for the federal bankruptcy code to be amended. That's unlikely to happen.
 
Old 04-28-2016, 04:27 PM
 
1,112 posts, read 697,268 times
Reputation: 396
Minneapolis! KC.
 
Old 04-28-2016, 06:42 PM
 
Location: Bel Air, California
21,339 posts, read 21,917,974 times
Reputation: 33561
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
Hi my name is Grand Rapids, i'm a midwestern city of almost 200,000 people with a metro area of over 1 million people. I grew up as an industrial city during the manufacturing age and had some of the same symptoms of decline exhibited in other midwestern/rust belt cities. However since the 80/90s i've started quickly transitioning into more of a knowledge/health care/services based city. I am noted for my stronger than average population growth, billions of dollars of new investment, evolving social scene, and rocking economy. However people forget I exist alot.
hi, welcome to City Data...it's kind of weird here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top