U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 01:36 PM

5,805 posts, read 8,566,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
Not quite sure I get this Pittsburgh thing. It's geographically closer to major cities in Ohio, and (at least in my thinking), the border between the states is mostly arbitrary. I wonder why some think when you cross this imaginary line, the world completely changes. Kind of funny.
Maybe you not knowing anything about Pittsburgh answers you own question. I now consider anyone who thinks Pittsburgh is Midwest simply because it's closer to Ohio than i95 Cities, just willfully ignorant of either Pittsburgh, the Midwest or BOTH in general.

Even Burgh transplants from the east coast who thought they were moving to the Midwest because the Burgh was not in the NEC, even conceded Pittsburgh is not Midwest.

Old 05-02-2016, 01:40 PM

2,601 posts, read 4,072,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
Maybe you not knowing anything about Pittsburgh answers you own question. I now consider anyone who thinks Pittsburgh is Midwest simply because it's closer to Ohio than i95 Cities, just willfully ignorant of either Pittsburgh, the Midwest or BOTH in general.

Even Burgh transplants from the east coast who thought they were moving to the Midwest because the Burgh was not in the NEC, even conceded Pittsburgh is not Midwest.
"Midwest" isn't a coat or a jacket that every city in the "Midwest" wears, and automatically makes them the same. I'm not "willfully ignorant" of either, and just because you cross an imaginary line, doesn't make something completely different. I couldn't care less where Pittsburgh is, but it probably has as much in common with Ohio than it does eastern Pennsylvania. But, of course, you would deny that. Please take me to that place where people and cities automatically change because they're a foot inside an imaginary line. Do you think that Milwaukee and Chicago have a lot in common with Rapid City, SD, or might they have more in common with Pittsburgh?

Old 05-02-2016, 01:47 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,679,658 times
Quote:
"Midwest" isn't a coat or a jacket that every city in the "Midwest" wears, and automatically makes them the same. I'm not "willfully ignorant" of either, and just because you cross an imaginary line, doesn't make something completely different. I couldn't care less where Pittsburgh is, but it probably has as much in common with Ohio than it does eastern Pennsylvania. But, of course, you would deny that. Please take me to that place where people and cities automatically change because they're a foot inside an imaginary line.
This is all of course true, but the coastal elites refer to the midwest in a condescending way, so it's natural that Pittsburgh wants to claim more similarity to east coast cities, despite the fact that it's much more along the lines of Buffalo, Cleveland, Milwaukee (which, in my opinion, is a GOOD thing).

Old 05-02-2016, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
This is all of course true, but the coastal elites refer to the midwest in a condescending way, so it's natural that Pittsburgh wants to claim more similarity to east coast cities, despite the fact that it's much more along the lines of Buffalo, Cleveland, Milwaukee (which, in my opinion, is a GOOD thing).
I know it's true...it's kind of pathetic, though. But, whatever. I guess that Chicago and Rapid City SD are similar because they're both in the Midwest...right?

Old 05-02-2016, 01:53 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,401,953 times
I would delete this thread if I knew how. It turned from a thoughtful conversation into bickering over Pittsburgh even after I stated I was mistaken in calling it a Midwestern city 3 pages ago

Old 05-02-2016, 01:56 PM

Quote:
"Midwest" isn't a coat or a jacket that every city in the "Midwest" wears, and automatically makes them the same. I'm not "willfully ignorant" of either, and just because you cross an imaginary line, doesn't make something completely different. I couldn't care less where Pittsburgh is, but it probably has as much in common with Ohio than it does eastern Pennsylvania. But, of course, you would deny that. Please take me to that place where people and cities automatically change because they're a foot inside an imaginary line.
So you admit that you know NOTHING about Pittsburgh but are going to label it Midwestern anyway simply because it's closer to an imaginary line than eastern PA. And you think that give you credibility?

I am from Pittsburgh, live her currently, lived for 17 years within the NEC cities and have visited the Midwest several times...Yes Pittsburgh has more in common with other Northeast cities than it does with any city in Ohio or the Midwest. The facts even back this up

Pittsburgh housing architecture follows Philly Balitmore trends. Cleveland housing stock follows more Great Lakes trends.

Pittsburgh population flows inward and outward heavily to from the East, NOT the Midwest.

Clevelands population inward outward flows heavily from other Midwestern Cities.

Pittsburgh ENTIRE population idenifies as being Northeast. You couldn't find 1 native who would tell you the city was Midwest. NOT 1!

The Midwest does NOT think of Pittsburgh as Midwestern, they do however consider Cleveland Midwestern. Cleveland considers itself Midwestern.

I have nothing against Midwest, if Pittsburgh was Midwest I would be happy to label it as such. But it's not never has been never will be, I couldn't careless what a bunch of East Coast elitist try to label anything outside of the NEC as Midwestern.

Old 05-02-2016, 01:57 PM

7,704 posts, read 4,564,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye614 View Post
I would delete this thread if I knew how. It turned from a thoughtful conversation into bickering over Pittsburgh even after I stated I was mistaken in calling it a Midwestern city 3 pages ago
It was flawed from the beginning, because you were using Rust Belt to mean currently in decline.

Old 05-02-2016, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Again just ingorance... You sir are an East Coast elitist! You know nothing about Pittsburgh other than typical internet stereotypes... I really wish there was a rule than banned people from labeling cities they know nothing about first hand.

Old 05-02-2016, 02:03 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,679,658 times
Quote:
Again just ingorance... You sir are an East Coast elitist! You know nothing about Pittsburgh other than typical internet stereotypes... I really wish there was a rule than banned people from labeling cities they know nothing about first hand.
I'm from Cleveland. Pittsburgh and Cleveland both have east coast similarities, true. If Pittsburgh thinks of itself as NYC, Boston, Philly, DC and itself, that's just hilarious. ZERO people on the east coast think about Pittsburgh, really ever. It's pathetic how much Pittsburgh wants to push this east coast thing.

Embrace the Great Lakes/Rust Belt whatever. It's far more accurate.

Old 05-02-2016, 02:03 PM

Quote:
So you admit that you know NOTHING about Pittsburgh but are going to label it Midwestern anyway simply because it's closer to an imaginary line than eastern PA. And you think that give you credibility?

I am from Pittsburgh, live her currently, lived for 17 years within the NEC cities and have visited the Midwest several times...Yes Pittsburgh has more in common with other Northeast cities than it does with any city in Ohio or the Midwest. The facts even back this up

Pittsburgh housing architecture follows Philly Balitmore trends. Cleveland housing stock follows more Great Lakes trends.

Pittsburgh population flows inward and outward heavily to from the East, NOT the Midwest.

Clevelands population inward outward flows heavily from other Midwestern Cities.

Pittsburgh ENTIRE population idenifies as being Northeast. You couldn't find 1 native who would tell you the city was Midwest. NOT 1!

The Midwest does NOT think of Pittsburgh as Midwestern, they do however consider Cleveland Midwestern. Cleveland considers itself Midwestern.

I have nothing against Midwest, if Pittsburgh was Midwest I would be happy to label it as such. But it's not never has been never will be, I couldn't careless what a bunch of East Coast elitist try to label anything outside of the NEC as Midwestern.
Don't be so insecure. My point still stands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or