U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2016, 12:05 PM

1,720 posts, read 1,400,204 times

Advertisements

The Rust Belt is a term for the region straddling the upper Northeastern United States, the Great Lakes, and the Midwest States, referring to economic decline, population loss, and urban decay due to the shrinking of its once powerful industrial sector. Based on this definition how would you categorize the various Midwestern cities?

This list is meant to spur conversation, not to offend, and is by no means definitive in nature. If you disagree simply state why respectfully and present new information

Not rust belt:
Minneapolis-St. Paul
Columbus
Indianapolis
Kansas City
Omaha
Madison
Des Moines
Ann Arbor

Debatable
Cleveland (making a comeback but not sure if there is a ton of population growth in city limits)
Cincinnati (Not sure where to categorize Cincy)
Pittsburgh (also having a renaissance, not sure to what extent though)
Chicago (losing population, still the most powerful economic force in the Midwest by far)
Milwaukee (not familiar with it, so that's the main reason for this category)

Solidly Rustbelt
Detroit (proper)
St. Louis
Akron
Dayton
Gary
Flint
Toledo
Youngstown

Old 04-26-2016, 12:16 PM

2,233 posts, read 1,510,891 times
I think of all the debatable cities above as rust belt. It just means they had a very industrial past and the 70s and 80s recessions hit them very hard. That's what I always thought.

Old 04-26-2016, 12:20 PM

4,268 posts, read 5,473,848 times
For some smaller non-rust belt cities, one could include Champaign and Bloomington, IL; definitely rust belt could include Duluth, MN; Decatur, IL; and Green Bay, WI.

Old 04-26-2016, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
I think of all the debatable cities above as rust belt. It just means they had a very industrial past and the 70s and 80s recessions hit them very hard. That's what I always thought.
Well the question I'm posing is are they still in the rustbelt? A city like Flint, Michigan or Gary, Indiana hasn't recovered in the same way (or at all) like Cleveland has.

Old 04-26-2016, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
For some smaller non-rust belt cities, one could include Champaign and Bloomington, IL; definitely rust belt could include Duluth, MN; Decatur, IL; and Green Bay, WI.
I think large state universities definitely help out these smaller cities. I'm not as familiar with the upper Midwest so I wouldn't have known to identify Green Bay or Duluth.

Old 04-26-2016, 12:26 PM

7,701 posts, read 4,554,568 times
Pittsburgh is not a Midwestern city. Chicago is not a Rust Belt city.

I don't think Rust Belt means what you think it does.

Old 04-26-2016, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Pittsburgh is not a Midwestern city. Chicago is not a Rust Belt city.

I don't think Rust Belt means what you think it does.
I used a definition provided online, if you have one that you think is more appropriate feel free to share.

Whether Pittsburgh is in the Midwest or not is debatable. Being from the NYC area I find that it has much more in common with Cleveland or Cincinnati than with Philadelphia or New York or Boston, but everyone is entitled to their opinion and mine certainly isn't the only one.

In terms of Chicago not being a rust-belt city I would agree that it's economy is large and diverse enough that it doesn't fit the industrial conditions of a rustbelt city. In terms of population decline it certainly does though.

Old 04-26-2016, 12:38 PM

29,889 posts, read 27,333,728 times
Chicago would probably be more accurately described as a recovered Rust Belt city.

But if this list were to include all Rust Belt cities, I'd throw Buffalo in as solidly Rust Belt. Depending on how far east you're willing to push the boundaries, Camden would also be considered as solidly Rust Belt.

Old 04-26-2016, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Chicago would probably be more accurately described as a recovered Rust Belt city.

But if this list were to include all Rust Belt cities, I'd throw Buffalo in as solidly Rust Belt. Depending on how far east you're willing to push the boundaries, Camden would also be considered as solidly Rust Belt.
Camden is definitely an east coast rustbelt city (I would include Trenton, Camden, Newark and pretty much any other urban center in New Jersey besides Hoboken/Jersey City.

Old 04-26-2016, 12:45 PM

29,889 posts, read 27,333,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye614 View Post
Camden is definitely an east coast rustbelt city (I would include Trenton, Camden, Newark and pretty much any other urban center in New Jersey besides Hoboken/Jersey City.
Yeah Newark as well, and if you go up to CT, then I believe Bridgeport would qualify too. Not as familiar with Trenton, but I'd think that being the state capital would kinda soften any Rust Belt effect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or