U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: California or other state
California 8 22.22%
Enter your ideal state 28 77.78%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 08:44 AM

6,482 posts, read 4,069,179 times

Advertisements

The question was, "if you want to move anywhere would it be California or any other state?" Well, I can't move TO California because I already live there. But I don't want to move to another state.

So I guess I just can't vote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2016, 11:09 AM

512 posts, read 376,779 times
California for me definitely. But if you cannot afford it, I understand.

Old 04-28-2016, 05:13 PM

4,552 posts, read 3,637,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
I'd put up with the Inland Empire's slightly cooler heat to have everything it offers at its doorstep. Redding only offers itself, and the outdoors.

Would you consider Albuquerque to be too small? If so, Denver might be a good substitute, even if it isn't quite a desert biome (plains), and it gets tons of snow. Reno, Salt Lake City, Tri-Cities, Colorado Springs, Pueblo, Casper, Cheyenne, Laramie, Billings, etc. might be other places to look.
I never liked the IE. Probably because I thought it was too similar to Phoenix, I wonder why... Lol. Californians have invaded Arizona for generations now.

ABQ is kind of too small. I live in Tucson which is pretty much the same size, and I can barely tolerate it. I think the main issue with this is that there isn't a whole lot to do for the young adults here, it's very family-oriented. I mean 4th Avenue does a great job but that's all dive bars. When I get a husband (one day!) it won't matter anymore to live in a big city. A mid-sized city like Tucson or ABQ I think would be preferred at that point for me I think because I can't stand commuting, it's the one thing I hate. Tucson is amazing on outdoors, but the city itself is weak and dull. I hate saying that but there isn't a whole lot going on. They call Tucson a "big small town" which is 100% accurate if you've ever been here.

Denver is snowy though I think I'd like it there. I love Flagstaff which is similar (also too small, great climate though) in weather, but Flagstaff is one of the snowiest places in the country. Around 100" of snowfall a year, which is why skiing at Mount Humphreys is so awesome. And it snows usually until May pretty reliably. I need a middle ground! Denver actually gets half the snow Flagstaff does, which is a good thing IMO. Flagstaff is probably similar to other towns in Colorado within the mountains at higher elevation in terms of snowfall, but if you can imagine Denver with double the snow it gets every year that is Flagstaff. Flag also gets surprisingly hot in the summer given the snowfall, but it's amazing actually.

California is cool in some ways but there are other places in the country that are just as cool!

Old 04-28-2016, 05:41 PM

1,522 posts, read 704,421 times
I think much of California sounds wonderful to live in; it just seems way too expensive. Still, I'd take a dusty 100-square-foot apartment in LA or the Bay Area over the biggest and most luxurious house in Texas or Arizona any day of the week, but that's just me; I'm single and I care more about the overall environment of my city than having personal luxuries. Maybe I'll move to Oakland in a year or so if I can find an affordable place.

Still, I picked "other state" because I think I still might rather live somewhere in the Northeast or Northwest than in California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.