U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 12:18 PM

4,552 posts, read 3,652,932 times

Advertisements

It seems like your two options are to deal with humidity in big amounts OR to live in a place that will dry you like a towel. I live in one of the super dry places and I enjoy it, however there is one month in Arizona we refer to as "monsoon season" which is typically August, and temperatures drop into the mid-to-low 90s and we exponentially increase to 60% humidity or so after hovering in the teens for humidity a month earlier. This is humid for an Arizonan but probably good or dry compared to some other places in the country, like New Orleans.

Are there places in the country that hover in the 30%-60% range? All the time? I'm just curious because again, as it seems, there is either lots of humidity or lack thereof entirely. Surely there is a middle ground somewhere, yes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2016, 12:28 PM

1,099 posts, read 1,126,940 times
West-river South Dakota.

Old 04-27-2016, 12:33 PM

15,470 posts, read 25,441,436 times
I think because of the moderate temperatures Coastal CA feels moderately humid. It's not dry because its by the ocean but doesn't get that hot and the water is generally cool so it doesn't feel hot and humid. Coastal Southern CA is warmer so it can feel more humid but not oppressive (usually).

Old 04-27-2016, 02:15 PM

6,127 posts, read 6,452,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyroninja42 View Post
West-river South Dakota.
Yes. I'm in Rapid City and the humidity is usually in the 20-30% range, with some exceptions. It's nice! I moved from Eastern Nebraska and it didn't take long to adjust. Now I really notice and hate it if it gets to 50%. Previously, that would have felt dry.

Old 04-27-2016, 02:27 PM

1,770 posts, read 2,142,930 times
This may be too dry for you, but if you draw a longitudinal line from the eastern part of the Nebraska panhandle west, to the Sierra's (Intermountain West, Great Basin regions) you'll find some moderate humidity in many places. Coastal areas of California can be moderately humid and very comfortable.

Old 04-27-2016, 06:27 PM

5,576 posts, read 3,716,373 times
Western Washington and Western Oregon are among the most humid in the country...(in the winter!). In the summer they generally dry out, but on occasion some muggy days creep in. Not normal, but certainly possible.

Old 04-27-2016, 07:03 PM

12,888 posts, read 4,657,792 times
Upper New England, upstate New York and most of the upper midwest is not humid in the summer. High humidity % isnt an issue in the cooler seasons.

Old 04-27-2016, 07:19 PM

185 posts, read 128,391 times
Only places I know of with conpfortsble Summer's due to low humidity are alburqurque, Tucson , Phoenix , All of Cali , Oregon coast Washington coast , Idaho , Colorado , Wyoming I believe and Montana , Nevada . Rest of the United States is a slop mess

Old 04-27-2016, 07:34 PM

4,552 posts, read 3,652,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar54 View Post
This may be too dry for you, but if you draw a longitudinal line from the eastern part of the Nebraska panhandle west, to the Sierra's (Intermountain West, Great Basin regions) you'll find some moderate humidity in many places. Coastal areas of California can be moderately humid and very comfortable.
Nothing is too dry for me I was just wondering if this kind of humidity even existed in the U.S. For a long period of time. Arizona sees it for a month, but in some ways it's humid considering Arizona hovers in the teens usually. It can't get much lower then that since water is a thing, everywhere. Though the Sahara probably sees lower humidity than we do. Arizona is rather extreme but it's a desert so...

I thought places like Minneapolis are still really humid in the summer? In this case, above 70%?

Old 04-27-2016, 07:42 PM

12,888 posts, read 4,657,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by :-D View Post
Nothing is too dry for me I was just wondering if this kind of humidity even existed in the U.S. For a long period of time. Arizona sees it for a month, but in some ways it's humid considering Arizona hovers in the teens usually. It can't get much lower then that since water is a thing, everywhere. Though the Sahara probably sees lower humidity than we do. Arizona is rather extreme but it's a desert so...

I thought places like Minneapolis are still really humid in the summer? In this case, above 70%?
But the ability of the air to hold humidity increases and decreases with temperature. So when the temperature is 75 or 80 degrees, 70% humidity in that air is not much. 70% in air that is 90 degrees however is a lot of humidity because that air can hold a lot of humidity.

Thats why most parts of the upper midwest, Michigan, upstate NY, Maine etc is not humid in the summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or