U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2016, 06:40 PM

185 posts, read 128,418 times

Advertisements

I was up in the air between posting this here or on the exercise and fitness forum but I was wondering your input on something .

For those who exercise/work out and like to eat healthy do you find it easier to stay motivated on your results and goals while living in a warm climate year round ?
For example I live in a four season climate , although it doesn't break me it gets incredibly hard to find motivation to get some calorie burning in when it's -30 degree windchill outside .
I feel a climate where it's basically summer clothing / beach and pool season would motivate someone to stay on their regime . Agree ?

And with that also said what are the top 10 healthiest cities in the United States , and why ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2016, 06:41 PM

35,108 posts, read 40,306,147 times
For those who are as you described the environment has little affect on their daily lives in my opinion. Simply because no matter where we live we rarely change how we live.

Old 04-27-2016, 07:49 PM

5,991 posts, read 8,326,666 times
I agree that beach season motivates my wife and I to stay thin during summer, but if it were a very long season we may take it for granted and not care as much. I think that living in a healthy city where people regularly exercise and find all kinds of ways to do so and stay active is the BEST way to stay healthy -- because you ultimately compare yourself to your peers and the people you see everyday. If they're all fit and you're not, you'll be motivated to change. It's been true for us, when we've lived in states that are ranked high and low for overall fitness/health.

Old 04-27-2016, 10:54 PM

1,112 posts, read 1,873,391 times
Any wealthy city in the western half of the US will have more healthy people, in the upper income bracket. Actually, any wealthy area of any place in the US generally, but not always, has healthier and fitter people. Healthy dieting is kind of expensive in the US and it's usually upper income people who have the education on proper nutrition, although in more progressive cities you will find many low income people who know about that stuff (myself being one of them). Also, taking measures to stay fit can be expensive and unattainable to low income people whether it's a matter of getting a gym membership or going climbing every day in the mountains. For intense recreation, you have to have money and/or a lot of time on your hands. Most people who work full time don't. And places with mild weather (the West Coast namely) have higher cost of living compared to crappy climate places back East. I mean, just look at what's become of Southern California COL.

But to answer your question without using statistics, I'd say Boulder, CO is in the top 10. Wealthy city next to the mountains, with a lot of progressive college influence. Lots of co-ops and restaurants and cafes that cater to difficult diets. At the time I visited, I was on the paleo diet and Boulder was like a candy store for me.

Old 04-28-2016, 12:49 AM

4,552 posts, read 3,654,765 times
I think it really depends. The heat demotivates me as I hate sweating with every fiber of my being and in Arizona you just have to exist in order to sweat. I find that I am the most active, the happiest, in the cold. I find myself always saying "the more you move the warmer you'll be!" When it's 30 degrees at night here. When it's hot I stand there for two seconds and contemplate what I'm even doing with my life. I do that every day in the summer, I reward myself by sitting in front of a fan for at least ten minutes when I get home, with the A/C on too. I wouldn't call that active, lol.

The fittest cities do skew towards high income and good weather areas. States like Colorado, Washington, etc. do very well.

Old 04-28-2016, 04:28 AM

185 posts, read 128,418 times
Very interesting . Thanks for your replies . I'm from the east coast we have endless mountain ranges and forest here people like be active all spring summer and fall and snowboarding in the winter but away from the mountains in the suburbs where I am , lots of lower income on the outskirts and chain restaurants , people live on fast food and garbage .
Eating healthy is extremely expensive it is quite annoying , America wants you to be fat why else could you grab two hot dogs bag of chips and a soda for 3 dollar but a healthy veggie burger on multi grain or whole wheat is 7-10 dollars

We just received our first whole foods and trader joes within the last 2-3 years

Old 04-28-2016, 07:18 AM

1,292 posts, read 1,128,610 times
The 15 fittest cities in America - CBS News

DC, Minneapolis, San Diego, San Francisco and Sacramento top 5.

Old 04-28-2016, 08:10 AM

2,702 posts, read 992,769 times
This list should also be interesting to OP - best and worst cities for an active lifestyle

https://wallethub.com/edu/best-and-w...ifestyle/8817/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or