U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 01:33 PM

5,627 posts, read 4,008,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfriss92 View Post
are they natural to phoenix area? or are the developments planting them all over the place as fast as possible?
There is a palm species native to AZ, but theyre only found around oasis areas. I dont believe there is a palm native to the lower Sonoran Desert, but I could be wrong. So the answer to your question is that the palms are imported, and planted all over the place. They thrive here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2016, 08:00 PM

3,280 posts, read 1,662,863 times
I prefer the Palm Trees in Florida far more then the Palm Trees in Phoenix and Las Vegas. Many of the palm trees in Southern California are just too tall to the point where it is like a 100 feet stick with a foot of fronds of the top.

The Palm Trees in Florida are just so varied and beautiful. They are shorter then the West and have lush fronds. They also have silver palm trees in Florida.

The Palm Trees in Arizona are very tall but many just look sickly. Many palm trees have lots of exposed roots. They have a few feet of fronds at the top of the tree and it just looks unappealing.

Las Vegas palm trees tend to be a bit shorter then Phoenix but they have that same look with the roots on the bottom from the sandy soil and the few feet of fronds on top of tall palm trees.

Old 05-02-2016, 08:13 PM

1,934 posts, read 1,725,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
I prefer the Palm Trees in Florida far more then the Palm Trees in Phoenix and Las Vegas. Many of the palm trees in Southern California are just too tall to the point where it is like a 100 feet stick with a foot of fronds of the top.

The Palm Trees in Florida are just so varied and beautiful. They are shorter then the West and have lush fronds. They also have silver palm trees in Florida.

The Palm Trees in Arizona are very tall but many just look sickly. Many palm trees have lots of exposed roots. They have a few feet of fronds at the top of the tree and it just looks unappealing.

Las Vegas palm trees tend to be a bit shorter then Phoenix but they have that same look with the roots on the bottom from the sandy soil and the few feet of fronds on top of tall palm trees.
How exactly do the palm trees in AZ look sickly?
https://goo.gl/maps/NAundzmKh9A2
https://goo.gl/maps/RXrACacyxEk
https://goo.gl/maps/6gKy88m65cM2
https://goo.gl/maps/m1aggAMzQiM2
I split my time between LA and PHX and have been to vegas many times, you are really making a gross generalization.

Old 05-04-2016, 11:22 AM

11,334 posts, read 17,198,140 times
Quote:

Most of the palms that grow in Phoenix/California also grow in Florida, especially the more popular varieties such as the Mexican Fan Palm (the super tall kind). However, the climates are quite different, and that can have an influence on a plant's appearance.

Old 05-04-2016, 11:55 AM

11,889 posts, read 10,467,000 times
Quote:

I actually agree about the really tall palms in California with just a touch of green on top-not a fan of those.

Old 05-04-2016, 02:33 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,258,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
I actually agree about the really tall palms in California with just a touch of green on top-not a fan of those.
Do you guys not like the species altogether? Or just the really tall ones?

The super tall ones you see in LA postcard type photos are around a century old. Most of the palms of the same species all over SoCal are much more proportionately sized.

Old 05-04-2016, 03:07 PM

15,469 posts, read 25,564,684 times
Sometimes they trim too much of the fronds off on those tall palms and they look stupid. If they trim it right they look pretty nice imo. I like them when they're really tall because that means they are older and mature, when they're mature the trunks are smooth instead off having the ends of the fronds up and down the trunk. I hate that look.

Old 05-04-2016, 03:33 PM

11,889 posts, read 10,467,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeOrange View Post
Do you guys not like the species altogether? Or just the really tall ones?

The super tall ones you see in LA postcard type photos are around a century old. Most of the palms of the same species all over SoCal are much more proportionately sized.
I love palms-but the really tall ones with little greenery I'm not a fan of. Most in Cali are beautiful. That's interesting about the age though-I have a newfound respect for those haha.

Old 05-04-2016, 03:45 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,258,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
I love palms-but the really tall ones with little greenery I'm not a fan of. Most in Cali are beautiful. That's interesting about the age though-I have a newfound respect for those haha.
That's fair enough. Yea LA went through a huge palm planting craze in both the turn of the century and again in the 1930's where thousands were planted in just a few years. Now it's much more gradual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.