U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 11:18 PM

6,957 posts, read 14,089,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackManDan View Post
When you say avoid the south are you referring to the Deep South (Mississippi, Louisiana, Alabama) or anywhere that could be considered south (North Carolina for example is southeast and same with Georgia).
Deep South for sure. But it doesn't seem like any southern state is doing too well when it comes to funding governments and education. In Texas your kids will learn the slave trade was just a normal trade route and that the Jews consider Jesus a very important (we don't, in case you're wondering lol). TN just tried adopting the Bible as its state book. Luckily the governor didn't sign the bill, but it shows the mentality of the state. KY is gutting education funding. Our governor just vetoed a bill to help pay for preschool for everyone. He vetoed a few bills/sections of the budget that would provide scholarships to students, especially low-income schools. He cut our university funding by 9%, but oh so kind to not cut grade school funding...yet.

I guess you don't need to avoid the South at all costs if you got a good job offer, but Southern state and local governments are on a bit of a warpath at cutting and cutting and cutting government budgets and trying to influence the education systems. I believe it was TN that also is trying to teach creationism along with evolution as an alternative theory. That's what church is for, not public schools.

New Orleans is the one exception. There are some great areas and New Orleans tends to be big enough to not be overpowered by the rest of the state. I'm not sure about school districts, but they have some great private schools.

Basically I'm just saying to be cautious when looking in the south. Southern governments are more apt to cut spending drastically, which translates into law enforcement hiring/salaries/retirements. If you weren't moving for a publicly funded job like law enforcement, but instead something like banking or law or just anything not publicly funded, I wouldn't have even mentioned that. Northern states are more likely to try and save government jobs and not cut funding. Southern states are the first to cut government spending when necessary, and law enforcement jobs will be affected as such.

Don't get me wrong, though. There are great parts of the south if you wish to move to the south. Not everywhere has the abysmal textbooks of TX or is trying to teach everyone the Bible like TN, and individual cities themselves can be quite progressive. This is mainly just about your job security in a government job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2016, 11:30 PM

2,183 posts, read 1,352,879 times
Here is a list of the top cities to be a cop when taking into account employment, salaries, and Cost of Living. If you don't like the Vegas heat than Texas wouldn't be a good option. Inside the top 10 Seattle, Raleigh, Rochester NY, and Denver look like they fit your criteria the best.

Top 25 Cities for Police Officers - PoliceLink

Old 04-29-2016, 12:13 PM

3,563 posts, read 1,516,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PackManDan View Post
When you say avoid the south are you referring to the Deep South (Mississippi, Louisiana, Alabama) or anywhere that could be considered south (North Carolina for example is southeast and same with Georgia).
When anyone says they already have a personal bias toward an area (as jesse did), their opinion is already tainted and unreliable. My ex was in the public school system for 25 years here in NC and parental involvement, by far, is the single most important thing in a child's education; no matter if it's an inner-city school or rich suburban school. In per student spending, the U.S. ranks 5th worldwide (only behind Austria, Luxembourg, Norway, and Switzerland), yet we rank 16th in standardized test scores. So simply throwing $$$ at education is not the answer. Wise usage of the money and many other methods are far more valuable. Plus, jesse cherry-picking his examples shows many various bias' on his part. I'm not here argue every case n point, just suggesting that you make an informed decision from unbiased sources, no matter what area you're looking into. The South is great. Liberals and Conservatives, though we may disagree on some things, get along very well here. My MA-born and raised wife can attest to that, lol. Anyway, good luck wherever you end up landing!

Old 04-29-2016, 11:58 PM

8 posts, read 3,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
How about somewhere near near Portland Oregon. A suburb near Philly is also an option.
Three areas we have talked about have been: Portland, Seattle, Denver - though like I said we are open to pretty much anywhere. I have spent considerable time visiting family in the Philly area and I enjoy it out there

Old 04-30-2016, 12:01 AM

8 posts, read 3,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McdonaldIndy View Post
Indianapolis would be a great fit. 4 seasons without the extremes or heavy snow. The lowest cost of living in America, Good schools the middle class can afford so your child will be set, very family friendly, low taxes, tons of jobs with IMPD hiring right now actually Plus you are a days drive to 80% of the US population for easy weekend getaways.
I will check out Indianapolis. Add it to my list of cities to research. Hasn't the crime rate been going up pretty drastically there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or