U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 10:10 PM

8 posts, read 3,641 times

Advertisements

I'm born and raised in Los Angeles and moved to Las Vegas in 2014 where I live now. I'm sick of the southwest, want to get away from the heat of Vegas but don't want to move back to over-priced California. I have a fiancée and a 1 year old baby. We want to move out of Vegas, somewhere new in about 3 years.

Here are some requirements more or less:

We are open to all regions of the US. We want to live in or near a big city. So I would say an area that is within 40 minutes of a large US city. It must be a nice area, with good schools and lower crime. Crime doesn't have to be non-existent but a lower crime area is a must.

Winters can be cold (but it isn't a must) and have snow but can not be unbearably cold like for example (Minnesota, North Dakota, etc...) remember, we are from southern Cali.

Summers can be hot (we are used to Vegas heat) but nothing as extreme as Vegas so Phoenix would be out of the question.

Preferably a city that has its own police department since I am in law enforcement but once again, not necessary as long as we lived close to a big city which would obviously have its own police department.

Any ideas? I know this is as broad as it can get considering we are open to the entire US but I thought it would be fun to see some recommendations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2016, 10:22 PM

8,452 posts, read 11,434,710 times
Boulder, CO

Old 04-27-2016, 11:05 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,401,284 times
Depends on your definition of "big city" and your price range but Columbus, Ohio is a mid-sized state capital with a gigantic state university, a progressive attitude, a good economy and low-cost of living.

Cons: Winters can be cold, not nearly as bad as the Northern Midwest though. Central Ohio is pretty topographically boring (mostly flat). Also if you're looking for NBA, MLB or NFL sports then Columbus itself doesn't have that but has the Clippers, Bluejackets, Buckeyes etc. If you're looking for a New York, Chicago or Los Angeles sized city then you will probably not like Columbus.

Pros: Plenty of great suburbs and central city neighborhoods, home to lots of corporations, the state government, the university and hospitals so it has a pretty robust economy. Very LGBT friendly and socially progressive (this could be a con for some but I'll count it as a pro ). Great foodie city for its size, plenty of places to catch a good happy hour, affordable housing stock and relatively low cost of living

Old 04-28-2016, 12:41 AM

4,552 posts, read 3,639,169 times
How much cooler are you willing to go? I thought Colorado too.

Old 04-28-2016, 04:52 PM

6,961 posts, read 14,091,290 times
My personal bias says to avoid the South. The Southern states are trying their hardest to gut education and government funding. Therefore, your child's education may not be as great as it could be elsewhere, and your law enforcement job may be harder to find or at least pay less.

According to this, Trenton, NJ pays its police officers the 7th most in the country. That's behind only cities in California. I'm not sure how police pay grades work, but the average is $87,900 there. Obviously Trenton is NOT somewhere you want to raise a kid. But there are some great suburbs around the area that are very safe and family-friendly. And you'll be about 30-60 minutes from Philadelphia if you look south of Trenton between it and Philly. If you look north of Trenton, depending on how far north, it's about the same time (40-60 minutes) to NYC. The biggest benefit of being somewhere like NJ/NYC/Philly is that the trains exist so you can get to the big city from your safe suburb with good schools without having to drive. AND you'll only be about 1 hour from the beach like parts of SoCal, not several hours like in Las Vegas.

According to this website, it seems like NJ is the place to be I guess. There are some great suburbs close to Edison and New Brunswick, which are part of the NYC metro area.

Just like the others on here, Philly has great suburbs itself and they pay quite well there. Miami and Ft Lauderdale summers get hot, but not the 110+ like Las Vegas.
Best Cities for Police Officers

Old 04-28-2016, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by :-D View Post
How much cooler are you willing to go? I thought Colorado too.
Well, like I said I would avoid places like North Dakota and Minnesota. To me, those are "too" cold. But pretty much anywhere else would be open. For example I've spent winters in Philadelphia and Pittsburgh, PA. To me those are cold, but definitely acceptable.

Old 04-28-2016, 10:54 PM

When you say avoid the south are you referring to the Deep South (Mississippi, Louisiana, Alabama) or anywhere that could be considered south (North Carolina for example is southeast and same with Georgia).

Old 04-28-2016, 10:57 PM

1,934 posts, read 1,700,423 times
How about the DC area, say a nice suburb/small town in Northern Virginia? Winters can get cold but no where near as cold as the midwest.

Old 04-28-2016, 11:00 PM

DC area is Certainly an option. I would have to look into it more. Never really looked at DC much

Old 04-28-2016, 11:06 PM

2,183 posts, read 1,354,668 times
How about somewhere near near Portland Oregon. A suburb near Philly is also an option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or