U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-28-2016, 10:03 AM
 
Location: Jersey City
2,702 posts, read 994,736 times
Reputation: 1913

Advertisements

Also of interest is the list Wallethub did of cities most conducive to an active lifestyle

I posted that list in this thread

Healthy cities
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-28-2016, 11:39 AM
_OT
 
Location: Miami
2,147 posts, read 1,529,166 times
Reputation: 1850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Atlanta being one of the only southern metros to land in the top 25 most healthy at #78. I've always said people here in Atlanta are more fit than your average southern city or metro. I don't know why though...probably because of the "Hollywood" factor and people wanting to look as great as they can.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr roboto View Post
It's the transplants.
Which makes me think what's the reasoning for Birmingham being at #48. Must be the younger generation, because now that I think about it I rarely see young individuals being overweight despite being compared to other southern metros Must be the environment...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2016, 11:57 AM
 
Location: New England
2,183 posts, read 1,363,991 times
Reputation: 1917
I'm surprised that Vegas is so healthy. It's not wealthy and it's metro has a lot of sprawl. I would expect it to be fatter and less healthy than San Diego, San Francisco, Denver, etc. Maybe all of it's skinny hookers helps bring its obesity rate down? I'm sure Vegas would not be as high on this list if the health affects of STD's were included. I sincerely doubt that Vegas is the third healthiest city in America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2016, 12:01 PM
 
Location: Phoenix
5,656 posts, read 7,464,579 times
Reputation: 4327
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
I'm surprised that Vegas is so healthy. It's not wealthy and it's metro has a lot of sprawl. I would expect it to be fatter and less healthy than San Diego, San Francisco, Denver, etc. Maybe all of it's skinny hookers helps bring its obesity rate down? I'm sure Vegas would not be as high on this list if the health affects of STD's were included. I sincerely doubt that Vegas is the third healthiest city in America.
Every metro has sprawl...enough with that stupid phrase being thrown around all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2016, 12:10 PM
 
Location: New England
2,183 posts, read 1,363,991 times
Reputation: 1917
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
Every metro has sprawl...enough with that stupid phrase being thrown around all the time.
True all American cities do have immense amounts of sprawl. Visit parts of Europe if you want to see examples of large cities that resist sprawl. San Francisco is probably the only american city with low sprawl that I can think of but that is a result of its interesting geography. However I assumed that dense cities like New York, San Francisco, and Boston would be skinnier than Vegas because a large proportion of their respective population walks and takes public transit. Even New York and Boston have lots of car dependent sprawl outside of their city centers so i understand where you are coming from.

Back on topic it still surprised me that Vegas was one of Americas healthiest metro areas. Honolulu doesn't surprise me in the slightest bit however. The city is over 50% asian and for some reason asain people tend to have much lower obesity rates than other ethnic groups.

Last edited by tysmith95; 04-28-2016 at 12:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2016, 12:28 PM
 
Location: Jersey City
2,702 posts, read 994,736 times
Reputation: 1913
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
True all American cities do have immense amounts of sprawl. Visit Europe if you want to see examples of large cities that resist sprawl. San Francisco is probably the only american city with low sprawl that I can think of but that is a result of its interesting geography. However I assumed that dense cities like New York, San Francisco, and Boston would be skinnier than Vegas because a large proportion of their respective population walks and takes public transit. Even New York and Boston have lots of car dependent sprawl outside of their city centers so i understand where you are coming from.

Back on topic it still surprised me that Vegas was one of Americas healthiest metro areas. Honolulu doesn't surprise me in the slightest bit however. The city is over 50% asian and for some reason asain people tend to have much lower obesity rates than other ethnic groups.
Honolulu's the happiest, healthiest, of all the cities...sigh. It sounds the most like a utopia....too bad it's so damn remote and expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2016, 12:30 PM
 
3,618 posts, read 1,572,952 times
Reputation: 2194
these articles are bogus , they are comparing really obese cities to really, really obese cities . The best cities on this list have horrible numbers compared to asia and europe. we should compare our cities to europe and places like japan and korea in asia. you rarely see obese people in japan,singapore ,thailand, france, scandinavia etc. Their diets have much less meat, much more vegetables, more olive oils and less fatty oils, they definitely don't have the kfc double down sandwich and our fast food culture. much healthier diets
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2016, 12:37 PM
 
Location: New England
2,183 posts, read 1,363,991 times
Reputation: 1917
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridanative10 View Post
these articles are bogus , they are comparing really obese cities to really, really obese cities . The best cities on this list have horrible numbers compared to asia and europe. we should compare our cities to europe and places like japan and korea in asia. you rarely see obese people in japan,singapore ,thailand, france, scandinavia etc. Their diets have much less meat, much more vegetables, more olive oils and less fatty oils, they definitely don't have the kfc double down sandwich and our fast food culture. much healthier diets
I blame part of the problem on the portion sizes of food in America. Usually when I go out to eat in the United States I stuff myself with food or throw away half of the plate. When I studied abroad in Denmark the foods they ate weren't necessarily healthy but the portion sizes were much more reasonable. The hot dogs at seven-eleven in Denmark are about half the size of the disgusting hot dogs that seven-elevens in America sell.

I also find it interesting that the countries with the best foods, for example Italy or France, have some of the lowest obesity rates in Europe. Maybe its the culture of sitting down and taking hours enjoying a multi course meal.

Last edited by tysmith95; 04-28-2016 at 12:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2016, 12:43 PM
 
Location: Jersey City
2,702 posts, read 994,736 times
Reputation: 1913
It's also tied to poverty. The poorest states tend to be the fattest, because sadly access to more nutritious food is more expensive. In poorer areas, whether it's southern Italy, or southern U.S., you'll see a greater prevalence of fried food, because it originally developed as a way to make lower quality/inexpensive food taste better.

In NOLA for example, on almost all the restaurant menus i saw, foods were served in massive portions, and were either fried, slathered in cream sauce, butter, cheese, or some combination of all of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2016, 01:06 PM
 
3,618 posts, read 1,572,952 times
Reputation: 2194
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
I blame part of the problem on the portion sizes of food in America. Usually when I go out to eat in the United States I stuff myself with food or throw away half of the plate. When I studied abroad in Denmark the foods they ate weren't necessarily healthy but the portion sizes were much more reasonable. The hot dogs at seven-eleven in Denmark are about half the size of the disgusting hot dogs that seven-elevens in America sell.

I also find it interesting that the countries with the best foods, for example Italy or France, have some of the lowest obesity rates in Europe. Maybe its the culture of sitting down and taking hours enjoying a multi course meal.
i agree, I think alot of people from the healthier nations would find something like golden corral or ponderosa or sizzler incomprehensible. even the all you can eat salad bars are unhealthy, macaroni salads and fatty stuff, unlimited bread sticks like olive garden, all you can drink soda, tons of cheeses and fatty salad dressings

One thing you notice is how some of the healthiest countries eat so little meat, japan and alot of asian countries, greece and the mediterranean etc.

I think the first step would be to stop comparing american cities to each other, and learn about other nations healthier diets and lifestyles. there is far less distance between the top cities and lowest cities than there is between healthy nations and our own nation. the so called fittest cities and state are awful, they don't even come close to places like japan, korea, switzerland etc . Japan has a 3% obesity rate!

I will say this data seems awfully bizarre to me. they have the cities with highest percentage of overweight adults

1. anchorage
2.Asheville
3.bridgeport stamford connecticut
4. Miami
5.new haven ct

and the five cities with lowest percentage of overweight adults

fort wayne indiana
mcallen texas
dayton ohio
provo utah
ogden itah

Last edited by floridanative10; 04-28-2016 at 01:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top