U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 05-01-2016, 05:51 PM
 
29,949 posts, read 27,441,480 times
Reputation: 18544

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
charlotte or columbia are very conservative
No they aren't; the cities themselves are moderate/left-leaning while the suburbs are conservative, just like most suburbs in the South. There are plenty of other places in the Southeast more conservative than those two.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-03-2016, 01:25 PM
 
4,060 posts, read 4,471,649 times
Reputation: 2855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
No they aren't; the cities themselves are moderate/left-leaning while the suburbs are conservative, just like most suburbs in the South. There are plenty of other places in the Southeast more conservative than those two.
While I don't have a horse in this particular race, at least from my view "city" is tossed around to mean two things (city proper and metro).

Thus in this context, again perhaps just to me only, the balance of population/power between the city and metro is important. Charlotte is about 800k, so even if the city leans left, it doesn't really weigh all that much in terms of the overall metro if the suburban population (1.6 mil) leans strongly to the right, not even to mention the money. People and money matter greatly to the balance of cultural and perhaps moreso political power.

Personally I'd still say "Charlotte" is conservative, even if, perhaps not surprisingly, the urban areas of the city proper lean left as urban areas at least tend to do nationally.

I don't believe the OP gave enough info to specify otherwise.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2016, 08:15 AM
 
904 posts, read 444,361 times
Reputation: 1120
Quote:
Originally Posted by bler144 View Post
While I don't have a horse in this particular race, at least from my view "city" is tossed around to mean two things (city proper and metro).

Thus in this context, again perhaps just to me only, the balance of population/power between the city and metro is important. Charlotte is about 800k, so even if the city leans left, it doesn't really weigh all that much in terms of the overall metro if the suburban population (1.6 mil) leans strongly to the right, not even to mention the money. People and money matter greatly to the balance of cultural and perhaps moreso political power.

Personally I'd still say "Charlotte" is conservative, even if, perhaps not surprisingly, the urban areas of the city proper lean left as urban areas at least tend to do nationally.

I don't believe the OP gave enough info to specify otherwise.
Perhaps you're using conservative in relative term to an unmentioned place. Charlotte may be less conservative than other places but in terms of the politics of the city itself,it leans left.Laws and policies put forth apply to the city as whole. It is the principle city of its metro and that gives it more weight than the suburbs because more people come to the city for work and entertainment. They are more subjected to the culture of the city rather than the other way around.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2016, 08:23 AM
 
Location: North Carolina
815 posts, read 463,279 times
Reputation: 1140
Raleigh/Durham home to the research triangle park. red hot career fields right now: tech, pharma, engineering, IT,

Forbes ranks it #1 in the country for business and careers. They're on several other "best in America" lists too

http://www.raleigh-wake.org/page/for...ss-and-careers
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2016, 10:37 AM
 
6,984 posts, read 14,112,866 times
Reputation: 4581
Quote:
Originally Posted by tailsock View Post
Raleigh/Durham home to the research triangle park. red hot career fields right now: tech, pharma, engineering, IT,

Forbes ranks it #1 in the country for business and careers. They're on several other "best in America" lists too

Forbes.com ranks Raleigh as the No. 1 Best Place for Business and Careers - Wake County Economic Development
The actual cities of Raleigh and Durham are quite liberal, though, aren't they?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2016, 10:44 AM
 
29,949 posts, read 27,441,480 times
Reputation: 18544
Quote:
Originally Posted by bler144 View Post
While I don't have a horse in this particular race, at least from my view "city" is tossed around to mean two things (city proper and metro).

Thus in this context, again perhaps just to me only, the balance of population/power between the city and metro is important. Charlotte is about 800k, so even if the city leans left, it doesn't really weigh all that much in terms of the overall metro if the suburban population (1.6 mil) leans strongly to the right, not even to mention the money. People and money matter greatly to the balance of cultural and perhaps moreso political power.

Personally I'd still say "Charlotte" is conservative, even if, perhaps not surprisingly, the urban areas of the city proper lean left as urban areas at least tend to do nationally.

I don't believe the OP gave enough info to specify otherwise.
Even with this in mind, I'm not sure how Charlotte and Columbia could be singled out compared to most other metros in the larger region. There are plenty of other metros that have primary cities that are more conservative, along with the standard conservative 'burbs.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top